Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > search library online

search library online
rockmonsta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2008, 11:15 AM

i published both an iweb and DL2 version of my library to my web page and i thought if i create a custom Google search
http://www.google.com/coop/manage/cse/create/1

to only search my web site i would be able to search my library on the fly. That and an automator script that would keep the web site and library in sync and I would have all my geek dreams fulfilled.

Unfortunately the searches do not return any values. I am not sure if it is because Google needs time to index the site or the information is encoded in a way that can't be read.

I love DL and hoped DL2 would save me from having to carry my iphone and ipod every time i went to a book store but without search it is hard.

streifl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2008, 02:17 PM

I am actually really disappointed that the online templates don't let you search. As far as I can tell, there isn't even an order to the items. Thay seem too be placed on shelves randomly. That might be OK, if you have only 20 items but what use is the whole website if you have 3000+ items like I do?

rockmonsta  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 09:59 AM

my main reason for searching online is "do i own it?"

i don't need the details and cover art other than to use it to impress people (still looking for some one who would be impressed)

Not sure if i don't understand google or my we host is messed up but i get no results on known positive searches

mwyner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by streifl View Post
I am actually really disappointed that the online templates don't let you search. As far as I can tell, there isn't even an order to the items. Thay seem too be placed on shelves randomly. That might be OK, if you have only 20 items but what use is the whole website if you have 3000+ items like I do?
That's what I thought too, and then I realized it was dependent upon what sort order you had selected in DL before doing the export. Mine had defaulted to creator for some reason, so that was the order it was showing me on the web. Changing it to "alphabetical" fixed that problem.

But yeah, I'm really disappointed in the online templates. The one I like (not the DL looking one, the other one) has 42 pages of movies for me, so that means friends who want to know if I have a specific movie have to basically click through 42 pages or guess what page it might be on.

rockmonsta  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2008, 08:00 AM

it would be nice if DL had the feature but this is the web there must be someone who can figure out the google custom search issue...with that we have all the the search power we can dream of. I just don't know enough to know if i have done something wrong.

any one else try the google custom search?

Forum Links
Forum Rules