Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Floating Window option

Floating Window option
Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 10:06 PM

I would really like Apple to impliment a universal Floating Window option...there are many instances in which I would like to be able to make a window float above others but am not able to... here are some examples:

Itunes - I know I could go to the dock but I would prefer the main window to float so I could see the tracks playing and pick songs easier without having to select the program

Quicktime: it would be nice to have a quicktime window up so I could watch movies/music videos, lectures while doing other things

My music Apps: programs such as Digital performer (when they become OS X ready) have tons and tons of windows that I need to access so this would be a great way to deal with my lack of screen space

there are probably many other examples and uses...I know that programs could indivually make this an option but so far they have not...so if Apple built it in it would just be there...

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Producer:

Itunes - I know I could go to the dock but I would prefer the main window to float so I could see the tracks playing and pick songs easier without having to select the program

For what it's worth, I briefly released an iTunes controller that did hover above all windows. It received a negative response so I pulled it. I couldn't bring it back now even if I wanted to, because Apple took away the iDisk I used to host it. Also, I found out that the initial name I came up with, "Music Box," is apparently already used by M$. But you could easily make your own with AppleScript Studio.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 01:35 PM

Floating - Absolutely!

I've been hoping this could be done as a haxie, but I don't know if you can intercept window properties like that - is it possible?

My iChat wants to float

For QuickTime you can use MovieFloat or Picture-in-Picture - great for viewing webcasts from the corner of your eye.

J

Producer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2002, 03:02 AM

"you could easily make your own with AppleScript Studio"

Im not that bright

It's also not just itunes...sometimes I play radio streams from browser pop up windows...I want all windows to have the option to float...even if it is a hidden command....how could anyone complain about that? If they don't want to make any window float that they don't have to...

HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2002, 03:48 AM

If you want a floating window for iTunes and you're running 10.2, give PTHiTunesNotifier a try. It will float a transparent window over the screen (you can choose the font and the location and the duration of the overlay, etc) with every new track. It's one of my favourite little OS X apps so far and the implementation (as a preference pane) is excellent. Get it here: http://www.pth.com/PTHiTunesNotifier/
HorseyBoy

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2002, 06:02 AM

Well, it must be do-able... Two apps (avail at VersionTracker) that I use regularly have windows that float (or can) over other apps:

Snatcher (and window can be shrunken or full-size while floating)

Memory Monitor (whose preferences allow you to decide *if* you want it to float)

Floating's gotta be a feature the app's designer decides enough users will want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules