Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP! i lost all my apps!

HELP! i lost all my apps!
zach_nagle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2003, 09:27 PM

OK, so my partitioning scheme has seperate partitions for users, system, and apps. A few minutes ago OSX got screwy so i restarted. When it started up again, apps wouldnt mount. I tried everything and ended up wiping the app partition. Thanks to my great planning, ( DOH! ) i dont have stuffit expander to unstuff all the apps i re-download. im also misin all the base apple stuff like, preview, system prefs, etc. anyone know what i could do, or wanna put up an ftp with the .apps ? Thank you in advance.
sorry about the old one, didnt know it was gonna be that obnoxiously long

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2003, 01:35 PM

This might be a bit like closing the barn door after the cows have all left, but you probably shouldn't have wiped your Apps partition. DiskWarrior might have saved you. I've run into the same situation with MacOS X before, and DiskWarrior has always been able to restore it.

As for restoring your Apps partition... how about installing MacOS X onto that partition, and deleting from it everything you don't need? [We won't mention the fact you should have made a backup. ]

Stuffit expander can be downloaded from http://www.aladdinsys.com

zach_nagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2003, 02:56 PM

I ended up installing X on the apps partition. I first tried to download stuff again but ran into a little problem......no stuffit expander! And i went to download it but its downloadable in .bin or .dmg,and i dont have disc copy. Kind of ironic that you need stuffit expander ( or disc copy ) to open the stuffit expander file. Why cant you just download a .app? But anyways, thanks for the help, and yes, this time ill make a backup
sorry about the old one, didnt know it was gonna be that obnoxiously long

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 12, 2003, 03:35 PM

Stuffit Expander is in the Utilities folder.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Rainy Day:
This might be a bit like closing the barn door after the cows have all left, but you probably shouldn't have wiped your Apps partition. DiskWarrior might have saved you. I've run into the same situation with MacOS X before, and DiskWarrior has always been able to restore it.

As for restoring your Apps partition... how about installing MacOS X onto that partition, and deleting from it everything you don't need? [We won't mention the fact you should have made a backup. ]

Stuffit expander can be downloaded from http://www.aladdinsys.com
I'll second that. I had that happen with a drive this weekend and DiskWarrior 3 to the rescue. My Drive is all happy now.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by zach_nagle:
OK, so my partitioning scheme has seperate partitions for users, system, and apps. A few minutes ago OSX got screwy so i restarted. When it started up again, apps wouldnt mount. I tried everything and ended up wiping the app partition. Thanks to my great planning, ( DOH! ) i dont have stuffit expander to unstuff all the apps i re-download. im also misin all the base apple stuff like, preview, system prefs, etc. anyone know what i could do, or wanna put up an ftp with the .apps ? Thank you in advance.
All the apple stuff is on the cd u bought.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2003, 08:00 PM

If you download Pacifist, you can use it to reinstall your apps from the packages on the install CD. However, since you have deleted your Disk Copy application, you're going to have to go through some extra steps to get Pacifist decompressed when you download it. Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Download Pacifist using the following link. We're going to download the .tgz version, because your copy of Disk Copy is not present to mount the .dmg.

http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist.tgz

2. Move the file from where it sits (probably the Desktop) to the root level of your hard drive (where you see the System, Library, Users, Applications folders).

3. Boot the computer into Single-User mode by rebooting and holding down Command and S keys until you get a black screen with a command prompt.

4. Type the following commands *exactly* as they appear below:

fsck -y

mount -uw /

cd /

tar -xzf Pacifist.tgz

reboot

5. When you get booted back up, you should see a new folder named "Pacifist" at the root level of your drive. You can use that to open the following package, which is on Disk 1 of the Jaguar Install CD's:

System/Installation/Packages/Essentials.pkg

and this package, which is on Disk 2:

AdditionalApplications.pkg

Those two packages should contain the applications you need to reinstall. Open them with Pacifist, and you should be able to get them back.

Good luck,
Charles

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules