Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Network with Wireless router?

Network with Wireless router?
EvanV
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2003, 12:20 AM

Is it possible to have a network on a wireless router with one being wireless internet to the PowerBook and another being plugged in via blue cable to an ethernet card? I heard that all systems that use wireless router need to be wireless (no plug ins allowed?). Just wondering if this is true. I would go wireless with the other connection, but it's on my Xbox and it's not wireless ready,

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 03:10 AM

I think all wireless routers have at least one "LAN" port for physically connected devices. The Linksys models at least come with a 4-port switch built in so you can connect a few devices before needing a hub or switch.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2003, 07:55 PM

You can have two simultaneous, separate connections through both the wireless and wired connections on your Mac. No problem-unless you want them to cooperate! That's possible, but not at all practical!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 02:13 PM

i'm doing it right now - it's fine :c)
of course, that's in OSX. you'll have to switch between the two in OS9 in the TCP/IP control panel, i think.
in OSX:
if that network cable is going to the router:
you'll want to go to the System Preferences to the Network panel. At the "Show:" menu near the top, go to "Network Port Configurations" and make sure "Built-in Ethernet" is above "Airport" on that list (you can click and drag their names). this way, your computer will use, by default, the fastest connection available to it.

if that network cable is going to another computer:
you're probably doing it to share the internet, in which case you'll want to follow the instructions above but put "Airport" above "Built-In Ethernet" because you want the computer to look for web content first on the Airport interface, which is connected to the web.

sorry if any of this is outdated.. i've noticed that in 10.2 internet sharing and other things seem to work regardless of the interface listings in the Network system preference pane, but then again i haven't played with it much since i first set it all up in 10.0.

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by EvanV:
Is it possible to have a network on a wireless router with one being wireless internet to the PowerBook and another being plugged in via blue cable to an ethernet card? I heard that all systems that use wireless router need to be wireless (no plug ins allowed?). Just wondering if this is true. I would go wireless with the other connection, but it's on my Xbox and it's not wireless ready,
At my place here we've got a wireless router, my roomate uses his laptop on it, and then i have a server hanging off the router, and a hub off of it too, then my personal machines are on the hub. Works great, if there is a switch or hub built into the router you're golden.

nate
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

Forum Links
Forum Rules