Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > More RAM or iSight?

More RAM or iSight?
EvanV
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 11:11 PM

Apple Executive Relations called me today and told me that they are going to offer me a ram upgrade or an iSight for free since I had wrote a letter regarding level of service of Apple regarding my PowerBook that I ordered on Sept. 26th and still had not recieved.

What should I take?

I have 2x256 in the machine right now, but iSight sounds cool!

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 11:45 PM

I would say go for the iSight, unless they offer you a 1G stick of ram. Ram is always cheap and you can usually find a good deal. The iSight, on the other hand, cannot be found cheaper elsewhere.

Go for the iSight unless they give you a gig.

-b

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 01:20 AM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. I highly doubt they would offer 1 GB though I'm suprised they even responded to my letter. This has changed my outlook on Apple's service and makes it worth the extra wait for this machine

Is 2x256 sufficient enough to run a 15' 1.25 AL Book? I was looking at an iSight before, but couldn't justify the price for a webcam. Does it have any other functions like recording, or is it just live stream? I have no background in webcams at all....

Thanks!

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 02:17 AM

Unless they are offering you a gig of ram (2x512 or 1x1024) go for the iSight. A stick of 512 can be as low as $90. An iSight is $150.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 11:23 AM

In order for your machine to run the best, you should have, at least 768M of ram. So you should look into getting a 512M stick, which can be had for less than an iSight ($120 at OWC).

With the iSight, there have been some programs released that let you record with it. This search of versiontracker brings up 5 different programs that work with an iSight.

-b
( Last edited by aapljack; Nov 14, 2003 at 01:00 PM. )

-Q-
Nov 14, 2003, 11:42 AM

iSight, definitely.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by aapljack:
In order for your machine to run the best, you should have, at least 768M of ram. So you should look into getting a 512M stick, which can be had for less than an iSight ($120 at OWC).

With the iSight, there has been some programs released that let you record with it. This search of versiontracker brings up 5 different programs that work with an iSight.

-b
Hmm, I think you missed the part about him getting one or the other for free aapljack. With regards to costs, get the iSight as it is more expensive. And besides, it's damn cool.

I have an iSight and it is seeing more use than I expected. I use it to keep in touch with my family while I'm up at college. Haven't tried using it to record, so I can't help you there, but I'll be checking this thread to see what other suggest.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by xylon:
Hmm, I think you missed the part about him getting one or the other for free aapljack. With regards to costs, get the iSight as it is more expensive. And besides, it's damn cool.
No, I got that part. He asked if 512 was enough to run osX and I replied that he should get another 512M of ram, which can be had for less than an iSight.

Then he asked if he can record with an iSight, so I pointed him to programs on versiontracker that let you record and take pictures with the iSight.

If you see my first post on this subject, I suggest he get the iSight, unless they offer him 1G of ram, which is doubtful.

-b

deviousgelatin
Nov 14, 2003, 02:30 PM

I'd go for the iSight and pick up the memory myself later on. But besure to spend the money to get reliable, name brand memory - I learned my lesson with cheap generic ram. The PBs, they no like the crappy RAM.

Only the best for your baby.

nagromme
Senior User
Nov 14, 2003, 05:36 PM

RAM: utilitarian. Easy to justify buying on your own.

iSight: fun.

Get the iSight!

(Then get some friends with iSight )
nagromme

EvanV  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2003, 11:46 PM

So do I need someone with iSight to chat with them? Can I chat to people on Window Platforms to OS X? I get my first Mac monday, so I'm not sure if this even works or not, but can you use it over MSN Messenger? I know iChat AV is the main thing, just looking at options

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 08:39 AM

i believe you DO need friends with an isight to chat with them... i have held off buying it because most of my friends who do video chatting use msn messenger and them some OTHER kind of camera

i know that aol instant messenger can be used with isight... but i heard FOR SOUND ONLY

no one seems to know

i'd post that question on the software section..... but no one ever answers questions over there much

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

Forum Links
Forum Rules