Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > i got my new PB 17

i got my new PB 17
redoid
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2004, 08:20 PM

Finally like i told you last week, i went to pick it up today. I took the extra 512 megs because the upgrade was very cheap! I am loving it of course but coming from a PC it will take me some time to get used to it i think.

Therefore, if you could help to get started, ill be happy to have some answers to the following questions:

- i use a hotmail account for my mail since i travel a lot. Is it possible to set it up with the Mac MAIL client? I tried this morning but i didnt know what to put in the incoming - outgoing mail field. I suppose its a pop mail account right?

- Any pointers on how to use the OS properly for basic things like saving in the folder you want, etc etc, all the newbie stuff basically.

- I am going to pick up my linkys wireless router today and try to setup a home network with my pc... If you want to share your views on it, im all ear!

Thanks a lot and hurrah for the PB !

Cheers,

red
its a fact that im dope.

banditcosmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 09:01 PM

The following link is for a plugin download to get your Hotmail with Mail.
I've been using and it seems to work well.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/httpmail-plugin

hostvisions
Jan 27, 2004, 09:41 PM

All I can say man is enjoy your new toy. I got mine a week ago and while not my first mac, it is just amazing.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2004, 12:33 AM

Redoid,

I sincerely advise you to buy a simple book of OS X. I also switched like a year ago and though I grasped easily alot of things of the Mac, this book I got opened my eyes to all the things you can do. There is a good selection at COMPUSA.

The wireless thing. It is a snap. The best wifi performance i have seen comes from Mac's. Hands down. The only thing I couldn't do was to print on a wireless pc. But connecting to a PC and viceversa is quite easy. Get the book! really.. it helps alot to understand things.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 01:03 AM

Good luck and enjoy your new Powerbook. Once you learn to use and love the Mac, you will never go back to Windows.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules