Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone buying a new Mac this year?

Anyone buying a new Mac this year?
disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 12:00 PM

Well after thinking about how outdated my laptop on desktop are I've decided to buy a new Mac this year. I have some flexibility withcash.

My problem is waiting for new hardware announcements because I most certainly am not buying a G4 iMac only to find out a G5 is introduced 2 weeks later. Which is what I had in mind, something along the lines of a new iMac, I don't know if I want to dish out more than $3000 on a powermac or powerbook this time around.

So I'm waiting but I'm definetly saying goodbye to this iMac 400mhz G3 graphite dinasour and I'm finally moving away from OS9, although of course I'll still have OS9 on my Rev A 500mhz G4 Titanium Powerbook.

Anyone here thinking about or planning on buying a new Mac this Year? and if so what do you plan on buying or waiting for in terms of new hardware before buying?

Beewee
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 12:02 PM

Looking to sell off my Quicksilver and get a dual 1.8 ghz G5. Just waiting for the revision.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2004, 12:14 PM

If I buy, I'm going to go portable.

12" PB or 12" iBook.

The older I get, the less I need the speed of the big boys (I don't play games anymore).

I'm on the fence... be cheap or go all out on a nice PB.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 12:16 PM

I think it's safe for me to say it's definite that I'll be getting anew Mac this year. I just don't know which one. idelly, if my little plan of action works out, maybe even 2!
iGeek

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 12:32 PM

I bought a 15" AlBook and will be buying a G5 next month. I'm waiting for an increase in CPU speed of the G5.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2004, 12:40 PM

My new PMG5 arrived this morning. I was rather happy about Apple not making any new announcements last week, because my last five hardware purchases were literally days before the announcement of updated hardware (the most extreme example would be my Graphite ABS, purchased one day before AirPort Extreme was released). I'm glad to have that pattern broken. I do wish Apple would cut out this ridiculous practice about keeping its customers in the dark until the release date; they've gotten better about this with software and iPods, but I've been screwed more times than I care to remember on their hardware. I consider myself to have gotten lucky this time.

I hope this is the only Mac purchase I'll have to make this year; I could afford one Mac, but replacing two won't be a trivial task.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2004, 12:42 PM

I just pulled the trigger and bought a refurbed dual 2GHz G5 for $600 less than retail.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

disectamac  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I just pulled the trigger and bought a refurbed dual 2GHz G5 for $600 less than retail.

Mike
Well, if there are speed bumps you still might make out since you did save 6 bills. Unless of course the new low end dual becomes a dual 2GHZ for 8 bills less than current retail price

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 01:04 PM

If I buy another Mac, my girlfriend will kill me. I currently have 4 Macs and 1 PC and we live in a one bedroom apartment.

-Q-
Feb 3, 2004, 01:05 PM

I've already made my Mac purchase for the year last year. I don't forsee any new mac purchases in the near future.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 3, 2004, 01:17 PM

the second the speedbumped G5s are announced.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 01:37 PM

Just got a 900Mhz iBook like 5 months ago so I'm happy

Although that 20 inch iMac... would be incredibly tempting if it weren't so far out of my even desired price range...

Come on... who wants to buy the chicken a 20 inch iMac?

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2004, 01:37 PM

If the G5 Powerbooks come this year...I'll be picking up one of those. But I'm also thinking of getting a Dual G5 PowerMac...so we'll see.

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 3, 2004, 01:49 PM

Just bought a 1 GHz SuperDrive eMac Saturday.

hostvisions
Feb 3, 2004, 01:57 PM

Bought a RevB 17" Powerbook two weeks ago.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
Same here, getting two midrange models for my office. I hope they're released soon, since I shot my mouth off to our computer store manager and told her new models were imminent.

If Apple releases a killer desktop system this year, like a G5 iMac or a small, headless G5, I might be tempted to replace my Cube at home.

phoenixboy
Mac Elite
Location: to your right, if you are wearing bronze, to your left, if you are wearing silver
Feb 3, 2004, 03:47 PM

either a 15" powerbook combodrive or a 14" ibook 933 within the next couple of days. haven't made up my mind yet...c'mon, sombody please push me in a direction... *g*

are there going to be new powerbooks soon?

So keep on living And don`t start giving The devil good reasons To get you in the seasons of heartbreak Baby are you tough enough?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 04:14 PM

I will sometime after Oct.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2004, 04:25 PM

I'll hopefully be getting rid of my Quicksilver 733 and *fingers crossed* be looking at perhaps a dual 1.8 or 2.0 GHz G5 once new models are released.

It's either that, or a ~1GHz 15" laptop (depending on speed bumps)...but I kinda want the G5 so I can get more out of it and also get back into some sniper mods for UT2004....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 04:30 PM

As soon as I sell enough software, I am getting the biggest baddest mac I can afford with the biggest baddest screen. Hopefully a dual 3+Ghz G5 with 23+" screen!!! Oh yeah!!!

Seriously, I program about 40+ hours a week in my spare time on my mac. It is a beige G3 @466Mhz w/ 384MB ram.... I need to upgrade!

Wanna buy some software?

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
Ditto. And it better be before the end of March. That's when my Student ADC account expires!

iCol
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 05:05 PM

Wish I could, but wont be buying a new Mac for at least 2 years. I bought a dual 1.25 (FW800) end-of-line PM last October, and wont be able to afford to upgrade the entire machine for a while. I will be sticking with RAM and accessory upgrades until then... It should last.

Plus, I bought a 17" ASD with it... though the whole lot came to just under �1500.
F is for Fooyork.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 3, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by disectamac:
So I'm waiting but I'm definetly saying goodbye to this iMac 400mhz G3 graphite dinasour and I'm finally moving away from OS9, although of course I'll still have OS9 on my Rev A 500mhz G4 Titanium Powerbook.
I just installed Panther on a friend's old 400Mhz iMac DV with maxed out RAM.

I was very surprised how well it ran.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 06:32 PM

If a small form factor G5 tower gets released, I'll get one to replace the aging Cube I have at home.

Otherwise, my GF's PB 12" (this one right here) and our G5's at work will have to do.

"G5 PowerMac, now available in Small/Medium/Extralarge" would be nice.

J

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 06:50 PM

i need a new 'book to write my thesis on.
my ibook 12" g3 600 won't cut it.

no g5 powerbook soon means apple gets ~$1000 less of my money and i get an ibook (hopefully 12" 1.2GHz G4)

i'd love a 12" or 15" powerbook with superdrive me thinks. can't see paying $2000+ for a 15" if it doesn't have a g5 in it, or a really really really (~1.6 GHz G4) fast processor in it.

come on apple, update the 'books!!!

Beewee
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 07:58 PM

Anyone know exactly when the revisions are to come out and what to expect? I'm dying to know.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 08:02 PM

I won't be getting a new Mac, but more likely than not I'll get myself a 1.2 GHz+ G4 upgrade for my current dual 450.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 08:07 PM

Umm... a 600Mhz iBook wont cut it to write a thesis??? I program on a 466Mhz G3... I think you will do fine

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 08:36 PM

I think I may jump on the latest G4 17" Rev.Whatever PB when the new G5ivver PBs are released...as hopefully they will drop in price sigificantly, either used or leftover...

Then eventually upgrade to the G5 PB after a year or so, as by then Apple would have worked out all the G5 Rev.A problems...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 08:41 PM

my dad will probably be getting a new 17inch powerbook, in which case I'll get his old one (17in, 1GHZ, 1GB)...though I'd prefer to have a 15inch 'cause of classes.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Umm... a 600Mhz iBook wont cut it to write a thesis??? I program on a 466Mhz G3... I think you will do fine
agreed.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2004, 10:40 PM

I'm heading off to uni in september... so hopefully the following:

iBook/12" (don't really care if it's G3/G4... its not for photoshop)
G5 1.8x2 or 2.0x2 w/ LCD monitor... this puppy's for Photoshop!

Check back w/ me in june-july-august

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 10:51 PM

Still, getting all the juice from my trusted TiPB 400. However as a student, I'll only buy a G5 upgraded AluPB. Have to save my bucks

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
tell me you use Spartan, Gaussian, or even crappy azz chemdraw etc etc... then tell me a 600 G3 cuts it....

photoshop blazes compared to chemdraw on a g3 600. seriously.
spartan, gaussian...craawwwlllll.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2004, 12:25 AM

Either a powerbook or PowerMac G5.

Cipher13
Feb 4, 2004, 01:29 AM

Just got my iBook 900, so my next machine will be a dual Hammer or something.

Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 02:24 AM

No Mac's for me this year, my 17" iMac is doing great, although I will probably up the ram.

Although my dad just brought his first new computer a new 1 ghz emac. So that kinda counts cause i told him what to buy and stuff.

- Zo0m Zoom

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2004, 02:42 AM

I plan on getting a G5 later this year. My 450 sawtooth keeps overheating and shutting off. I just went out and bought some fans for it in the hopes of making it last through the summer until I can get some money together. The dual 2 ghz machines are simply amazing. I had the pleasure of custom building one for the college I attend. Its easy to add stuff when you don't see the money and you don't have the feeling of it being yours, even though it is by way of taxes.

Good luck to all of those who have bought and are going to buy a G5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules