Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Big dilemma, sold powerbook, bought t41, now want powerbook again

Big dilemma, sold powerbook, bought t41, now want powerbook again
sdaccord01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2004, 08:41 PM

Hi,

I recently sold my 12" 867 mhz powerbook that I bought from amazon for around $1200 or so and the reason why is because I have to run some engineering apps on a windows machine, so I bought a $1900 IBM T41 after EBaying the powerbook. The IBM is a great machine but, as a $1900 laptop, it squeaks way too much. The palm rest squeaks and part of the other chassis squeaks as well. I do make some money working at sears commission, but for $1900 i don't think anyone can justify having this kind of build quality issue. The screen is constructed very well but the plastic around the keyboard squeaks way too much. Could be that I'm spoiled from the solid design of the powerbook but I'm leaning towards getting a 15.2" widescreen powerbook and try to run Virtual PC on it whenever I do need to use windows. I don't think I need windows that much and besides, I do have a desktop pc. I can get the 15.2" 1.25ghz for $2199 at my school (UCSD), so I'm wondering if anyone can give me any feedback before I ebay this T41.

ingeniero
Feb 23, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by sdaccord01:
Hi,

I recently sold my 12" 867 mhz powerbook that I bought from amazon for around $1200 or so and the reason why is because I have to run some engineering apps on a windows machine, so I bought a $1900 IBM T41 after EBaying the powerbook. The IBM is a great machine but, as a $1900 laptop, it squeaks way too much. The palm rest squeaks and part of the other chassis squeaks as well. I do make some money working at sears commission, but for $1900 i don't think anyone can justify having this kind of build quality issue. The screen is constructed very well but the plastic around the keyboard squeaks way too much. Could be that I'm spoiled from the solid design of the powerbook but I'm leaning towards getting a 15.2" widescreen powerbook and try to run Virtual PC on it whenever I do need to use windows. I don't think I need windows that much and besides, I do have a desktop pc. I can get the 15.2" 1.25ghz for $2199 at my school (UCSD), so I'm wondering if anyone can give me any feedback before I ebay this T41.
Welcome back from the dark side, again! At least, it's a good excuse to get the 15" PB!! I say it's a ++.

hostvisions
Feb 23, 2004, 10:45 PM

Let's see, you HAVE a PC and you sold your old PB?

Try:

Remote Desktop Connection or
VNC

Either will let you control your PC remotely my friend. I use both all the time. VNC works with ANY VNC client on the windows platform, while RDC works with XP or any Windows box running terminal services. they work much better than VPC ever dreamed of.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2004, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by sdaccord01:
Hi,

I have a 15" 1.25ghz that I bought a few weeks ago. So far it is the best laptop I have owned. I've gone through 2 TiBooks and have a Dell latitude that I use for work. VPC on the 15" isn't so bad.

schmoe
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2004, 12:24 AM

Deja vu =) I went through the same thing with a Ti G4 667 to a Thinkpad T40p.

I don't have any complaints with the Thinkpad quality however, it was one of the best designed laptops I've ever used. I got over 6 hours of battery life, performance was outstanding, and the screen was spectacular. The case was solid, and I felt a lot more secure carrying it around than the Powerbook.

Still, once you've used OS X it is hard to settle for anything less, particularly Windows or Linux =) Powerbooks are much more aesthetically pleasing as well.

So I'm running a Ti G4 1ghz until the G5 comes out!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 12:31 AM

since the thing is so new... I say keep it and live with your mistake...and get a G5ivver PB later on this year....(knock on wood)...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 10:59 PM

I've had an IBM T23...and I found the quality to be vastly superior to my current Powerbook G4 667DVI.

What is the screen resolution on your T41?
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

rsgunther
Feb 27, 2004, 11:59 PM

I have an IBM T40 I use. It is a company issued unit, and I use for work & home. Of course, I also have a powerbook.

IMHO, IBM's are the BEST designed PC laptops made... I love it.. if it only had a PowerPC processor & Mac OSX - it would be unbelievable... windows just sucks, but it is really a NICE machine!

Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 28, 2004, 12:34 AM

I've been really close to buying a new PowerBook G4. In fact one computer store that I've been to advised me to wait another month becuase updates are on the way. Maybe the new faster 7447A G4 or who knows Apple might surprise everyone with a G5 PowerBook. The rep at the computer store said G5 was very unlikely but if it does appear it will only be available in the 17" 'book for starters. Waiting another month I can do and I don't have a Thinkpad to tide me over until then.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

rsgunther
Feb 28, 2004, 01:02 AM

We (my wife & I) currently have a 12" powerbook.

The small HD (40G) bothered me, small screen size, and lack of keyboard lighting & some other features... so we just ordered a refurb 15" last week (a week ago friday) from Apple for $2099.00. I have the 12" on ebay - item #2789871044 - which hopefully will sell for a decent price so I don't loose my shirt. Anyway, I can't wait to get the new 15". I have 2 sticks of crucial 512MB RAM sitting here to install. I didn't want to wait for the next revision.. and I don't think they will do the G5's just yet.. even if they do, I don't want to be one of the first adopters. So, I will be happy with the G4 1.25GHZ w/superdrive for hopefully about a year, then i will sell it on ebay & buy a G5 book. Also, I just ordered an iPod mini (silver) tonight.. so I have a few new "toys" to play with here very soon!

Forum Links
Forum Rules