Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tiny pits in PB case. Help!

Tiny pits in PB case. Help!
digitdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2004, 06:56 PM

I have a PBG4 15" AL. Just today I noticed tiny (<1mm diameter) pits in the casing, on the left palm rest. Has anyone else seen these pits? I need some explanation!

John G. Stillmank
Mar 6, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by digitdean:
I have a PBG4 15" AL. Just today I noticed tiny (<1mm diameter) pits in the casing, on the left palm rest. Has anyone else seen these pits? I need some explanation!
Mine are on the right palm rest, because I'm right handed. I think they may be caused by skin oils or sweat in combination with friction from the hand.

Are you left handed?
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

physman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2004, 11:49 PM

Sweat is a terrible terrible thing. I am a musician and I play a brass instrument. We have to use leather hand guards, otherwise our sweat slowly eats throught the instrument... and it doesn't really matter what the metal is... silver, nickel silver, brass, etc. I imagine that wiping the computer down after use would help, but I think that it is just going to happen... hopefully not to quickly! I haven't noticed any pits on my albook, but I use an external kbd/mouse about half of the time.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 11:50 AM

yeah, my palm rest has them (both left and right, but more left, even though i'm right-handed) the ones on the left are even in a shape that matches the base of the palm of my hand where it normally rests. i've had this computer for a bit over a year (first gen 12" PB) and the first pits showed up after 7 or 8 months, i believe.

"I start fires!"

digitdean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2004, 01:07 PM

I wonder if maybe when an AL scratch solution (you know Radtech has got that on the way) comes out it'll be able to take out these pits? They don't seem very deep.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 7, 2004, 01:19 PM

It's interesting that not everyone's body chemistry causes them to have caustic sweat -- most people have used TiBooks for years without causing any harm, others cause corrosion after only a few months.

tooki

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2004, 03:26 PM

tooki>>

Maybe that's because the TiBook is more resilient against this kind of thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules