Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > best darn mouse of all time

best darn mouse of all time
Bogartte
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2004, 06:17 PM

Anyone think they have the best mouse, other then the one
that comes with the Mac?

The perfect mouse is what I'm looking for... I know it's a small thing
but I'm looking to upgrade.

Thanks

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 06:49 AM

The "best mouse" is a personal decision. One person's favorite mouse might be hated by someone else. My mom prefers one-button mice, while I love my button-laden MX700.

To determine which mouse is best for you, tell us... what is it about your current mouse that you don't like? What do you wish it could do? What do you hope to gain by upgrading? It's not like processor speeds, where one can easily say "The dual 2.0 GHz G5 is overall the fastest Mac ever." That's just a statement of fact. Mice are different. I'd suggest going to Office Max and trying out their display mice to see how they fit in your hand. You might also want to consider picking up a keyboard as well, perhaps in a wireless keyboard and mouse set. However, don't buy from Office Max, as they overcharge by a lot. They wanted $100 for a mouse and keyboard set that cost me $75 at NewEgg.com.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 08:06 PM

I love my Kensington mouse-in-a-box (2 buttons + wheel)

$15 at ChompUSA

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 01:02 PM

My favorite was the Kensington, but the extra software and that non-stop glowing blue light grew tiresome (and too warm).

Now I have a Microsoft 'Wheel Mouse Optical' - it feels better and requires no software.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2004, 05:31 PM

I have serveral mices:

the original USB Apple Mouse, not one but three! :-D

the actual Apple Mouse that comes with the G5, so cool

and the ms optical mouse special edition (ice white), does not look as bad as another M$ mices.

But all I want is a real Apple Pro Mouse !

mindwaves
Mar 24, 2004, 02:15 AM

Favorite is Apple ADB mouse.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2004, 08:02 AM

Logitech TrackMan Marble FX. Thing of beauty. Sadly PS/2 only and discontinued.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2004, 11:00 AM

UP !, show us your state of the art mice: Remember, we love mouses!, I even have a M$ one, go figure

El Daveo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2004, 11:30 PM

I have the Wireless Apple mouse and it just looks soooo good sitting next to my Powerbook.
Not much better than other mice, but Im a man for asthetics.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2004, 11:31 PM

Apple ADB, 'teardrop'.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2004, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Apple ADB, 'teardrop'.
is that the last ADB mice?, the RF receptor from my m$ mouse looks like one of those, the rf receptor is cooler that the m$ mouse itself, ha ha

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 06:46 PM

My question is why is this in Mac mods and not peripherals?

M$ intelimouse optical is by far the best mouse I have had

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2004, 01:44 AM

Yah, not a good subforum choice, but I have this cool little USB mouse. It's an ultraportable, and in storage configuation, it's a smooth shell, but to plug it in, you unhinge one side, and draw out a real thin USB cable.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
I love my Kensington mouse-in-a-box (2 buttons + wheel)
I love my mouse-in-a-box scroll too. I think it's the most ergonomic mouse on the market. It fits my hands perfectly. But I would kill for a Bluetooth version (and pay up to $100 for one) of that same mouse.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2004, 10:36 AM

ok, so ill add ot this thread to make it a mod one. i have plans to take an old adb apple mouse (either tear drop or square) and mod it to me an optical usb for my powerbook. I have several old usb mice i can us its just i dont have a dremel to carve out the insides, though i may go pick one up fri after i deposit my paycheck, I have access to tons of the adb so if anyone likes what ive done after i finish, i might be willing to make some more if i can find some cheap usb nice to scrap

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2004, 08:21 PM

I second the vote for the Logitech MX (I have the 500). It really fits my hand perfectly and has all the features I want. Looks nice too. Ideally, I would prefer wireless but I just can't be hassled with the extra things like recharging, physical battery weight, extra cost, etc. I've already got an iPod, a digital camera and phone to charge...

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2004, 03:44 AM

I've got the white 'special edition' M$ Wireless Optical mouse. Looks very nice sitting next to my iBook and (latest) Apple keyboard. I like having the scroll wheel and extra buttons. Only thing is the battery level thingo doesn't seem to work, so you don't know until it stops working.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by nJm:
I've got the white 'special edition' M$ Wireless Optical mouse. Looks very nice sitting next to my iBook and (latest) Apple keyboard. I like having the scroll wheel and extra buttons. Only thing is the battery level thingo doesn't seem to work, so you don't know until it stops working.
As you can read, that is my mouse also. For me the battery level software -meter works. But after all, the battery does not last even two months, so low. I bought a pack of four rechargable batteries from www.gpbatteries.com.hk and done.

BTW, even so I take the two batteries off over the night.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2004, 01:55 AM

i love my mx700 - got it a little over 3 days ago.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2004, 10:56 AM

I have a logitech two button + scroll wheel mouse. You can install all sorts of software to make it do customizable actions but I use it as is and its rock solid.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

unimaxium
May 8, 2004, 10:27 PM

I'm really happy with my Kensington Studiomouse. It has 3 buttons and has a touch-sensitive scroll thingy (like a laptop trackpad, but just for scrolling). It also comes in a wireless version. For travel I also have a kensington pocketmouse pro with a retractable cord, which works great. I think Kensington tends to make the best mouse in my opinion, and I would reccomend them. But who knows, you might find another mouse to be more suiting for what you want. It eventually boils down to personal preference.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 10:58 PM

depends what computer you want to use it on. i use the mx-900 on my powerbook because its dongle-less, plus the many buttons.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Forum Links
Forum Rules