Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I dropped my Ibook!!!!

I dropped my Ibook!!!!
titan44
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 09:06 PM

Well it was in a crumple bag which was in my backpack and it was only from about a foot and a half off the ground, the boot screen instead of being grey is purple and the colors on the screen are all wrong, ( i can still navagate around and it appears stable ), i tested the external video out and that was fine, so before pulling it apart the see it the display connector was finally worn thru, i thought i'd post and see if anyone else has had a similar problem/fix.

800mhz G3 Ibook

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 11:18 PM

I dropped my clamshell 466 and it did not survive. After mourning I have a new 14" ibook and love it. Not the answer you are looking for but it was time for me to upgrade anyway. Just tough on the wallet but worth every penny IMO.

velodev
Senior User
Aug 1, 2004, 11:19 PM

I would suggest not dropping it anymore.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2004, 12:13 PM

And to think all these people who claim their iBooks are soooo much more superior to that of a Powerbook in terms of durability, I don't mean the rub salt in the wound, but a foot fall with two bags and now its all screwy? My PB slipped out of my hand while walking, it was in a sportfolio II sleeve and after opening it up and checking on it, not one scratch, not one dent, and not one malfunction. If I were you, I'd send it in to Applecare and pretend like I didn't know what happened, I find the more ignorant somebody is on the phone the better their success rate with Apple fixing problems, and if it gets to the point when the person starts BS'ing you about this and that, then you stop the acting and start getting down to buisness.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

rastatero
Aug 2, 2004, 04:34 PM

My friend's iBook tumbled down concrete stairs while we were walking. It must of gone down three or four steps. Yep, there are quite a bit of scratches, but there are no cracks and everything is still functional. The next day it fell off the bed onto carpeted floor and it is still going. -- Tony

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2004, 03:48 PM

your ibook should have survived that but maybe it is a software issue hard drive corruption I mean I heard that the boot screen color was customizable if everything else is the normal color you might want to check that?

drive-thru
Senior User
Aug 4, 2004, 04:48 PM

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2004, 02:28 PM

Especially since everything else appears to be working, including external video, and since the fall wasn't large, it sounds like maybe the internal video connector could have become loose? Just an idea, and I've never opened up an iBook to see what it looks like inside or how the LCD is connected. I'm assuming there is not aesthetic damage? If so, I'd zap the PRAM, hold down the Apple-Option-P-R keys while starting up and keep on holding until you hear the startup chime two or three times. If that doesn't work, take your iBook to a repair center (or centre for you down-under!)
( Last edited by kafoochy; Aug 5, 2004 at 02:47 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules