Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Sony headphones

Sony headphones
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 05:43 PM

The Apple Store sales-chick recommended these noise cancelling Sony Headphones for $149.00

How are these headphones?

I'm not a big fan of the Ear Buds design. (So I'm open to more traditional alternatives ...) With the ear-buds if I smile they fall out of my ears. (which eliminates listening to comedy..)

But: How is the sound quality of the Sony product?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 07:08 PM

The bass response of these headphones is noticeably better than on cheaper Sony alternatives, but if you turn on the noise-cancellation feature you'll have to listen to significant white noise (hiss). If you don't turn on the noise-cancellation feature, the output will be somewhat muffled.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 08:11 PM

It sounds like there are drawbacks to both turning on the noise cancelling feature as well as turning it off .....

Am I reading this correctly?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

f1000
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 09:39 PM

The MDR NC-11 dampens background sounds that are steady and at certain frequencies. The NC won't work on human conversation.

In a quiet room, the white noise that the MDR NC-11 generates only serves to increase the backgound noise level. Turning the NC off, however, seems to abridge the range of the speakers.

If you don't need NC, then get a cheaper pair of Fontopias with a similar freq. response.

Hope that helps.

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 09:49 PM

Yes it does help. :-)

Can anyone recommend a small, portable set of headphones that are more "traditional" (don't stuff in your ears but rather wraps around your head)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2004, 09:55 PM

Just curious. Do you not like the in ear phones and think they may uncomfortable or another reason. I just am curious because since I went that direction I will never go back. After an hour or so of getting used to them they become natural to wear and make music sound so much better. If you think they will fall out of your ears like the buds style, that will not happen once you find the right size soft piece to use (they come with all sizes).

Not to sure about traditional ones, I have heard mixed reviews about the bang & olfson ones but it seems they are not the best for a larger head. People with smaller to normal size heads seem to like them more.

If you do decide to check out the in-ear style phones the Etymotic ER-6 and the Shure Ec3 are both right in your price range and you woouldn't regret the choice.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 10:03 PM

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD497s and I'm so glad I did. I have owned many different pairs of headphones, from big fully-sealed ones (they cancel the noise simply by sealing your ear off, not using any high-tech methods) to clip-ons to in-ear earbuds. These Sennheisers are by far the best.

They are supra-aural (that is, they rest on your ears, this is the most common style). Sound isn't perfectly sealed out, but it also lets your ears breathe. Sound quality is excellent, and they're extremely comfortable.

I owned a pair of Sony MDR-EX71s, which are Sony's lowest end in-ear headphones. They did cancel the noise pretty well and the sound quality was okay considering how tiny they are, but the HD497s blow them away. Don't let anyone sucker you into buying a style of headphones that you don't like. If you don't like earbud-style headphones, don't get those Sonys. They do stay in your ears better than typical earbuds (which just fall out really easily), but they can cause headaches after some time.

For even more comfort than the HD497s, you can look at the HD515s. They are a bit more expensive ($100 vs. $60), but they are full-sized open headphones. That is, they don't even touch your ears. They are huge and simply fit over your ears. The sound leaks like crazy, but the open-air feeling is great.

I've also heard numerous recommendations for the Grado SR60. I haven't used them but I heard they're not as comfortable as the Sennheisers, though they sound better. Comfort is higher on the list for me so I got the Senns.

Anyway, I just noticed that you're looking for a more traditional set of headphones. The ones I listed are all pretty big. My Senns aren't THAT big, but they're much larger than your typical pair. For portable listening, I'd recommend the Koss KSC-50 or KSC-55. They're the same, except the KSC-55 has a neckband while the 50 is a clip-on style. For the price ($30) they provide excellent sound. Comfort isn't perfect, but it's okay.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

rastatero
Aug 17, 2004, 01:57 PM

The MDR-EX71 is a good alternative if you are not looking to spend so much for a new pair of earbuds. Check them out. -- Tony

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 02:00 PM

All great advice! Thanks folks! I'm going to be doing some shopping I think.

Where can one shop and see (listen) these Sennheiser or Koss units?

I originally planned to buy something in the Apple store because I have a $300 gift card that I can't use elsewhere, but I guess it can sit a bit longer. :-)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 04:24 PM

This is just to echo the recommendation for the Grado SR60s (or the SR80s, if you want more bass). Best value for the money, in my opinion. I wouldn't buy them without trying them on first though, since, like the previous poster said, some people find them very uncomfortable and/or ugly. They are moderately adjustable.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 08:15 PM

if u want it to match the ipod .. go with white 71's from sony .. if not .. i prefer the 51's. they are cheaper and in my opinion .. look better (although they are black and not white). the sound is the same, only difference is the earstem. the 51's are rigid earstems. the 71's are siliconish rubbery kinda material ... i've owned a combined 8 pairs when it comes to 70's 71's and 51's. they are great. i still have one int he package just incase my current pair fials. if only i can still find the 70's the best looking earbuds in my opinion...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules