Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Updated to 10.3.6 and now monitor won't wake from sleep

Updated to 10.3.6 and now monitor won't wake from sleep
HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 03:56 AM

Hi all,
Upgraded to 10.3.6 via Software Update, repaired permissions before and after, sacrificed a two-year-old chicken and bowed towards the moon, and now I'm having wake from sleep problems: the system wakes up, the monitor's light stops pulsing but the monitor itself stays dark.
I've zapped the PRAM, run DiskWarrior, repaired permissions, used CacheOut X to clean the caches and nothing has made the problem disappear.
This is on a G4/667 Digital Audio tower with a 17" Apple Studio Display (with a single ADC connection). The video card is the stock standard nVidia GeForce2. I've got an Adaptec 2930 SCSI card installed along with the appropriate Adaptec driver but it's never given me any trouble before (and besides, the system itself wakes up fine). Other than that I haven't installed anything new. The only thing that's changed is 10.3.6, which I think installed new nVidia drivers (which might just be the source of the problem).
Is anybody else having this problem? More importantly, does anyone know how to fix it?
All suggestions welcome. The only thing I haven't tried is running the Combo Update or doing an Archive and Install. I'd like to exhaust the other options first.
Thanks.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 11:38 PM

The only thing I can suggest that you haven't done is ...

Delete Power Management Prefs
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist.
Tiger 10.4.8

HorseyBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by bergy:
The only thing I can suggest that you haven't done is ...

Delete Power Management Prefs
/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist.
Thanks, bergy. I'll give it a go.
I've tried resetting the PMU, Open Firmware and the Combo Install, all to no avail . . .

HorseyBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by HorseyBoy:
Thanks, bergy. I'll give it a go.
I've tried resetting the PMU, Open Firmware and the Combo Install, all to no avail . . .
Sorry to say it, but that didn't work either.
I've done everything short of a clean install, and I don't want to have to do that (mainly because I'd prefer to track the problem down).
I know it's not a hardware problem because the machine will sleep and wake just fine in OS 9.2.2. It worked fine in 10.3.5 too - 10.3.6 is the only problem.

HorseyBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 04:46 PM

Sorry to say it, but that didn't work either.
I've done everything short of a clean install, and I don't want to have to do that (mainly because I'd prefer to track the problem down).
I know it's not a hardware problem because the machine will sleep and wake just fine in OS 9.2.2. It worked fine in 10.3.5 too - 10.3.6 is the only problem.
Well, I may have found a simple solution after all. All I did was switch the monitor resolution and recalibrate it. Everything's been fine since. Of course, I haven't tried switching it back . . .

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 10:10 AM

Well, I may have found a simple solution after all. All I did was switch the monitor resolution and recalibrate it. Everything's been fine since. Of course, I haven't tried switching it back . . .
Hmmm...I'll give this a try. Did you switch the resolution back? Having the same problem since I went to 10.3.6. G4 AGP w/ Sonnett Dual 500MHZ upgrade, Radeon Mac Edition retail card and an Apple 17" CRT. Replaced the battery and reset the PMU yesterday and it didn't solve the problem.

HorseyBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by lexhair:
Hmmm...I'll give this a try. Did you switch the resolution back? Having the same problem since I went to 10.3.6. G4 AGP w/ Sonnett Dual 500MHZ upgrade, Radeon Mac Edition retail card and an Apple 17" CRT. Replaced the battery and reset the PMU yesterday and it didn't solve the problem.
Hi, lexhair.
Yes, I did switch back and the fix stuck for a while, but then it went on me again. I switched to a higher resolution last night, put the machine to sleep and this morning everything woke just fine.
You might also want to follow the discussion here: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/6
It's always reassuring to know other people are having the same problem.

lexhair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2004, 09:48 AM

Hi, lexhair.
Yes, I did switch back and the fix stuck for a while, but then it went on me again. I switched to a higher resolution last night, put the machine to sleep and this morning everything woke just fine.
You might also want to follow the discussion here: http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/6
It's always reassuring to know other people are having the same problem.
The resolution change allowed the monitor to wake up but I got this distortion problem. I was having this problem before 10.3.6 (I think) so I won't pin this on the update. This time I didn't wait until it was resolved. Rebooted the machine. Oh well

Forum Links
Forum Rules