Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The Only Reason I'm Staying With Entourage Instead of Mail 2.0...

The Only Reason I'm Staying With Entourage Instead of Mail 2.0...
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 10:47 AM

Well, the new Mail 2.0 looks pretty good.

But, to tell you the truth the one feature I really like in Entotage isn't in Mail. It's the ability to show a window in the lower right hand corner of the screen, when new mail comes which displays the sender, subject and the first few lines of the email no matter what app I'm currebtly using. So, no need to go to the mail app to see who the new incoming mail is from or what the subject is.

It's amazing to me that Apple did not integrate this great time-saving feature into Mail 2.0. Or am I missing something.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 11:03 AM

mail.appetizer

a tiger version is on the way.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 11:04 AM

Wait for a Tiger-friendly update to the wonderful mail.appetizer. It's great.

EDIT: Damn! beaten.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
Well, the new Mail 2.0 looks pretty good.

But, to tell you the truth the one feature I really like in Entotage isn't in Mail. It's the ability to show a window in the lower right hand corner of the screen, when new mail comes which displays the sender, subject and the first few lines of the email no matter what app I'm currebtly using. So, no need to go to the mail app to see who the new incoming mail is from or what the subject is.

It's amazing to me that Apple did not integrate this great time-saving feature into Mail 2.0. Or am I missing something.
This was actually one of the reasons why I didn't use Entourage. I found that to be highly annoying especially if you get a lot of emails.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 11:39 AM

I wasn't even aware this feature existed in Entourage. So apparently you can turn it off.

Originally Posted by typoon
This was actually one of the reasons why I didn't use Entourage. I found that to be highly annoying especially if you get a lot of emails.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 11:45 AM

I have never seen, nor heard, of this application/plug-in before now....awesome! I am looking forward to the Tiger version for sure.

Thanks!

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2005, 12:47 PM

Thanks mdc and Mithras. Looks great! Will definitely try this once a Tiger version is released.

Is there any way to transfer all my mail and settings to Mail 2.0 from Entourage? Also, in Entourage I can color code my incoming email by type of sender, Business/personal, etc. Can Mail 2.0 do this?

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee

I use Growl [growl.info] with the GrowlMail plugin for Mail. Growl is a system-wide notification system that allows all sorts of applications to hook into it to display many types of notifications. Other growl addons I use are: GrowlTunes (for iTunes) and growl support for Adium.

I also like that it's open source.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

mishap
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by [APi]TheMan
I use Growl [growl.info] with the GrowlMail plugin for Mail. Growl is a system-wide notification system that allows all sorts of applications to hook into it to display many types of notifications. Other growl addons I use are: GrowlTunes (for iTunes) and growl support for Adium.

I also like that it's open source.
I dislike Growl for mail notification since the window does not stay up--not so good if you've been away for a few minutes. Growl is great for other stuff like Adium and iTunes, but for Mail, mail.appetizer cannot be beat.

Forum Links
Forum Rules