Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > mini cooper s

mini cooper s (Page 2)
Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2005, 03:04 PM

Ugh north-Americans and manual transmissions *shiver*.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SuvsareRetarded
You mean a fairly heavy flywheel.
Actually, no. It is programmed into the ECU as far as I have been told (by experts). I imagine it hasn't got the lightest flywheel in the world as well, but it does have something programmed in with the drive-by-wire throttle as well.

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by acadian
Still have yet to master the downshift, always forget what rpm per gear to tap the throttle to match rev's.
To be honest, I wouldn't know what RPM it needs to be at when I change down from one gear to another. There is no time to be looking at the tacho, it is more of a feel thing. Practice, practice, practice!

SVass
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 08:18 PM

The only mini that I was ever in was around 1966. It ran at full speed continuously and never slowed down even for turns. I saw one at Sebring doing the same thing lapping everybody in the rain about the same time. All people who use a tach for down shifting are deaf. sam

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 09:41 PM

The real "S" in its Mk II body...

Don't go for that modern crap. Get real. Get the real thing.

And get rubber boots when driving in the rain.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Ugh north-Americans and manual transmissions *shiver*.
GAH!!! are you kidding, manual is so much more fun to drive, granted I dont go to work when everyone else does so I don't have to strain my shifting foot with the congestion. As for downshifting, my current car doesn't have a tacho so I've got a pretty damn good feel for down-shifting without lugging or revving to high. Thanks for all the advice. I've got my countdown widget set to my test drive 3 days 18 hours

MM-o4
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 11:13 PM

my sister has one.
I went for a cruse and LOVED it. Mad sporty. Has the big glass sunroof.
Excellent
Now I want one.

MM

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2005, 01:06 PM

I must agree on the Brera, looks like a beast. Would immediately order one if I had the money. 3.2 Q4.
I got to test drive one this weekend! The entry level model (2.2 JTS unfortunately). The guys from Alfa tell me that the Q4 is track only. They won't be selling it to the public!

Anyway, the car is absolutely stunning to look at. Honestly, it's like looking at a concept car. It handles very nicely too. Very agile and lighter than the 147 and 146. I think this version is a little down on power. It feels slower than the TT I had. Still, it's much more exclusive. Even though it's probably a case of looks over performance, I will be very tempted by the more powerful models ... very tempted indeed.

miacomet
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 01:08 PM

I have a regular Mini Cooper. It's great!

hickey
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2005, 01:18 PM

my parents just picked up an 03 MINI, I cant wait to get to drive it over thanksgiving break. Allthough I've heard bad things about their transmissions and clutches needing replacement too often.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TubaMuffins
GAH!!! are you kidding, manual is so much more fun to drive, granted I dont go to work when everyone else does so I don't have to strain my shifting foot with the congestion. As for downshifting, my current car doesn't have a tacho so I've got a pretty damn good feel for down-shifting without lugging or revving to high. Thanks for all the advice. I've got my countdown widget set to my test drive 3 days 18 hours
I think you didn't quite get what I meant. I meant that American+manual transmission is a bad combination most of the time.

I drive a manual transmission myself and I wouldn't want an autobox ever (well, maybe when I'm over 30 and am stuck in traffic in the morning and evening). That's why I'm deeply saddened to see all sorts of cars going with flappy paddle gearboxes and not even offering manual boxes anymore.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
The guys from Alfa tell me that the Q4 is track only. They won't be selling it to the public!
That's not what their introductory press release said. But we'll know in January when they officially unveil it in Brussels. It would be a VERY sad thing if they didn't offer the Q4. Oh why oh why don't they just make RWD Alfa's again instead of FWD and AWD.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 14, 2005, 03:43 PM

I think you didn't quite get what I meant. I meant that American+manual transmission is a bad combination most of the time.

I drive a manual transmission myself and I wouldn't want an autobox ever (well, maybe when I'm over 30 and am stuck in traffic in the morning and evening). That's why I'm deeply saddened to see all sorts of cars going with flappy paddle gearboxes and not even offering manual boxes anymore.

Good thing I'm Canadian then...eh?
people ruin everything....

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2005, 04:58 PM

I will get an cooper S early next year. Its a great car. The automatic transmission is very good.

nexus5.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 14, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus5
I will get an cooper S early next year. Its a great car. The automatic transmission is very good.

nexus5.
They offer the S version with an automatic? Who the **** would buy that?

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2005, 11:23 AM

Alfa Romeos looks great and sound great [when they have a V6 under the bonnet] - but depreciate like a lead balloon and fall apart/break down. Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 01:55 PM

Pick one up used. No depreciation problem.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 02:11 PM

They offer the S version with an automatic?
Yes, they do. A very fast, drive-style adaptive version.

Who the **** would buy that?
****ing lazy people.

nexus5.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 02:15 PM

Yes, they do. A very fast, drive-style adaptive version.
I just googled it. It's over 1.5 seconds slower than the manual in 0-60. A lot slower everywhere else too. Blech. Automatic Cooper S= Nudered. I feel bad for people who buy one.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2005, 02:27 PM

Automatic Cooper S= Nudered.
Some people ought to be spade and nuttered.

-Superchic[k]en

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 04:00 PM

Oh, ok, that's acceptable then. I agree with you that too many cars come standard with automatic. Well, I had my test drive yesterday. It was incredibly fun, a great car. I checked out how much insurance would be and I would be living in the poor house, so unfortunately the Cooper S purchase must be put off a little longer. I'll just go in to the dealership aver now and then and test drive one to get my fix in the meantime.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2005, 04:04 PM

I just googled it. It's over 1.5 seconds slower than the manual in 0-60. A lot slower everywhere else too. Blech. Automatic Cooper S= Nudered. I feel bad for people who buy one.
Blech? You should check your sources:
For europe it takes 7.7 seconds from 0 - 100 km/h with automatic transmission and 7.2 seconds with manual transmission. 0.5 seconds, wow! If this 0.5 seconds make your longer, go for it. Who is feeling bad for you?

nexus5.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 05:44 PM

Blech? You should check your sources:
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...08_minicooper/

Slower by 1.3 seconds to 60mph, and the manual version does the 1/4 in 14.8 @ 95mph, the auto does it in 15.7 sec @ 88.7 mph.

That's a pretty big difference. Again, BLECH. More weight, less mpg, less performance, and higher cost. No thanks.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 05:58 PM

Not any of the ones I have owned.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 06:00 PM

The ford contour SVT has a very nice manual transmission/ shifter in it.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 07:09 PM

Really? I am probably gonna get a new car within a year or so to replace the R/T.

Of course they aren't making anymore Neons...

Wonder what they are going to replace the SRT-4 with.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 08:32 PM

What are you going to do with the R/T??? How many miles are on it? But yeah man look into Contour SVTs. They're seriously nice cars. The suspension was ford's very effective attempt at copying BMW, 220hp duratec v6, strong 5spd, power options galore, and very subtle looking. 4 doors and a nice leather interior complete with factory recaros too.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 08:39 PM

Probably gonna keep it. It has 72k on it.

SuvsareRetarded
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Probably gonna keep it. It has 72k on it.
But you said replace.... ???

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2005, 08:45 PM

For daily usage...

I usually keep a car till it's dead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules