Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How safe is a smart car?

How safe is a smart car?
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 04:07 AM

Check this video out. Looks pretty safe to me
http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00947.wmv
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 04:31 AM

Fifth Gear have some exciting crashtest in the show... Saw one with a side-on impact where a 4x4 strikes a small hatchback. That looked very nasty...
Haven't seen this one before, but I still would like to buy a Smart when I get a job

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 07:58 AM

Smarts are very safe for their size, especially considering the design is 8 years old now. I don't know what is in that video (I'm at work and without WM Player), but I saw the 5th Gear test where they remotely drove it into a concrete barrier at 70mph... the doors still opened!

(OK if you hit concrete at 70mph your body would be mush, but it was to show how strong the car was.)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice
Smarts are very safe for their size, especially considering the design is 8 years old now. I don't know what is in that video (I'm at work and without WM Player), but I saw the 5th Gear test where they remotely drove it into a concrete barrier at 70mph... the doors still opened!

(OK if you hit concrete at 70mph your body would be mush, but it was to show how strong the car was.)
that would be the video
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 09:20 AM

Hey first post, hello everyone!

I own a Smart but I also one a BMW M3 so I'm not all goofy. I use it primarily as a commuter car granted I only work 10 minutes from my house. I live in Zug (Maxim magazines top city to live in 3 years in a row) anyway the parking places here are very small even impossible to find sometimes. The Smart is small enough to park pretty much anywhere even behind a bigger car or sidewalk. Your question “are Smarts safe” is a definite yes, the frame was designed by Mercedes and can take quite a smack. Plus you can purchase other side panels with funkier colors, just like a Swatch. In fact Swatch owns Smart well half and half Mercedes is the other card holder.

I’m happy to hear that some Americans (Smart is now offered in California) are waking up to the fact that they don’t need a two-ton automobile to go to their local video rental store. The Smart is particularly smart in dense city conditions as well.

Reminds me of a Family Guy episode where Peter buys a large penis looking car then pulls up next to a small car at a stop sign and shouts, “when you park your car in the garage does is it ask if it’s in”.
( Last edited by Relic; Jan 12, 2006 at 09:28 AM. )

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 09:24 AM

I'll post some pictures of mine later, I tricked it out with a MacMini Audio/Video system.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Relic
I'll post some pictures of mine later, I tricked it out with a MacMini Audio/Video system.
That would be cool !

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 10:43 AM

There's been a huge discussion about this here - I believe it ended in Rob being banned once more. In a nutshell the Europeans think that the Smart is safe, the Yanks have a hard time accepting that opinion.

As that thread was up not that long ago I am thinking that this thread here is just Athens trying to bait Rob once more.

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
There's been a huge discussion about this here - I believe it ended in Rob being banned once more. In a nutshell the Europeans think that the Smart is safe, the Yanks have a hard time accepting that opinion.

As that thread was up not that long ago I am thinking that this thread here is just Athens trying to bait Rob once more.
Ah yes the Ye Olde argument of the supposed bigger the car the safer it must be.

Linky -> http://sedans.autoblog.com/2006/01/0...cars-for-kids/

Sorry, I don’t want to start a fight I just think if anyone was banned over Smart car safe, no its not type of argument must be really bored. Thanks for the heads up I’ll still post some pictures of my Smart when I get home from work, it’s still Mac related since it has a MacMini in it.

SMARTS ARE SAFE!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2006, 10:55 AM

I live in Zug (Maxim magazines top city to live in 3 years in a row) anyway the parking places here are very small even impossible to find sometimes.
Zug is great. I lived there for 9 months in 2001. I just loved to walk at the lake with the beautiful view over the mountains.

I heard the new train station has a stunning architecture.

-t

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Zug is great. I lived there for 9 months in 2001. I just loved to walk at the lake with the beautiful view over the mountains.

I heard the new train station has a stunning architecture.

-t
Its pretty nice, here are some pictures of it -> http://www.picture-newsletter.com/trainzug/ much better then the old one which looked like something a blind architect from the 50’s would have designed. I just bought an Attica apartment in Steinhausen, which is on the 6th floor, and it has an absolute gorgeous view of the lake. During the spring we get these winds called the fohn, which clear up of the view to the mountains, and I would have to say it is one of the most spectacular views you can imagine. I love Zug, what can I say. If anyone ever comes just send me an IM, I’ll take you down to the lake to Podium 41 (old name Chaos), which is an outdoor bar where people like me smoke our wacky tobaccy next to the police chief no doubt (big pot head).

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2006, 11:28 AM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 11:29 AM

OK, that is a Smart car not a smart car.

If you want to see a video of how safe a smart car is, there was this demo Mercedes did for their new system that automatically detects an obstacle by radar and break assists the driver so that the car automatically halts. "Works" even if the obstacle is in fog and the driver doesn't see it (so Mercedes driver can now race 200 km/h through fog on the Autobahn).

Here's the video:

http://img.stern.de/_stream/NEBELCRASH_DSL.wmv

It's in German, but you might get it anyway. Also note the board on the track that is highlighted at some point in the movie. It's important for those demonstrations that worked.
( Last edited by TETENAL; Jan 12, 2006 at 11:36 AM. )

bells0
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2006, 11:29 AM

Pic of my wife the day she picked up her Smart cabrio last year

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
even if the obstacle is in nebula and the driver doesn't see it (so Mercedes driver can now race 200 km/h through nebula on the Autobahn).

'Nebula' = fog, I assume?

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus5
I believe side airbags were standard after 2002 model.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 11:37 AM

'Nebula' = fog, I assume?
Oops, Lübke-Englisch. I corrected it. Thanks!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2006, 11:38 AM

I love Zug, what can I say. If anyone ever comes just send me an IM, I’ll take you down to the lake to Podium 41 (old name Chaos), which is an outdoor bar where people like me smoke our wacky tobaccy next to the police chief no doubt (big pot head).
I loved it there, too. I lived close to the train station, 2 blocks away from the shopping center.
Is the Podium 41 the bar right at the market place downtown, with view over the lake ? I loved that place.

-t

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
OK, that is a Smart car not a smart car.

If you want to see a video of how safe a smart car is, there was this demo Mercedes did for their new system that automatically detects an obstacle by radar and break assists the driver so that the car automatically halts. "Works" even if the obstacle is in fog and the driver doesn't see it (so Mercedes driver can now race 200 km/h through fog on the Autobahn).

Here's the video:

http://img.stern.de/_stream/NEBELCRASH_DSL.wmv

It's in German, but you might get it anyway. Also note the board on the track that is highlighted at some point in the movie. It's important for those demonstrations that worked.

Thanks for the video, I really like Günther Jauch he does a great job for Wer wird Millionär?

afrotesticles
Banned
Jan 12, 2006, 11:40 AM

Less than safe. Big deal that the doors opened? That just shows how rigid and strong the chassis is, and frankly, that is NOT WHAT YOU WANT BECAUSE IT DOESN"T MAKE A SAFE VEHICLE.

Safe vehicles have crumple zones which absorb and disperse energy. The smart has neither. It lacks crumple zones, and it's frame is so rigid that it doesn't absorb any energy, it transfers all of the crash energy straight through the passenger compartment. A similar danger happens to SUV drivers, as the stiff 'truck frame' chassis that's so good off the road ends up hurting people in accidents because it transfers so much energy through the passenger compartment. Want to know how safe the SMART is?

Imagine this scenario. You're in an office building on the 20th floor. You step into the titanium elevator, which has been tested to drop 100 stories and the door still opens. You get in, the door shuts, and suddenly a warning comes on. You know it's going to fall. You lay on the floor to even out the impact. Then it drops.

That 'instant' stop at the bottom is going to kill you, even if you don't 'splatter'. Many soldiers have been killed due to bullets DEFLECTING OFF THEIR HELMETS, because the sharp 'jolt' to the side of the head destroys the brain's 'cushy layer'. They had no other physical injuries. The same goes for the smart. In the videos i've seen, the car ALWAYS ricochets off the other vehicle, changing directions much more quickly than any other car with a greater mass. It also lacked crumple zones, so the test dummies get violently thrown around inside the car.

So in summary: Good idea in europe (small cars everywhere). Bad idea in america.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 11:46 AM

Hi Rob and welcome

We have talked about this in great detail of course, the Smart design takes the energy from the impact and moves it past the passenger cell. Meaning that energy is dissipated by the back of the vehicle as well as by the front. It's a technology that's routinely used in Formula One cars.

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 11:48 AM

I loved it there, too. I lived close to the train station, 2 blocks away from the shopping center.
Is the Podium 41 the bar right at the market place downtown, with view over the lake ? I loved that place.

-t
The shopping center is called Metalli. No I think the bar you’re talking about is the Schiff in the old city. ”What there is more then one place where you can smoke weed”, yeah we’re kind of a bunch of potheads here I think that’s why Switzerland doesn’t get into any wars. Podium 41 or Chaos as it was known when you lived here is located past the basketball courts next to the Marina a little way from downtown. Did you ever go to the outdoor Kino (theater) during the summer, it’s right there?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 11:52 AM

Hi Rob and welcome

We have talked about this in great detail of course, the Smart design takes the energy from the impact and moves it past the passenger cell. Meaning that energy is dissipated by the back of the vehicle as well as by the front. It's a technology that's routinely used in Formula One cars.
^^^ What he said! ^^^

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by afrotesticles
So in summary: Good idea in europe (small cars everywhere). Bad idea in america.
What do you work for Hummer or something?

http://www.zapworld.com/about/news/news_smartmods.asp

afrotesticles
Banned
Jan 12, 2006, 11:59 AM

Hi Rob and welcome

Watch the video. The passengers violently change directions. Sure, some energy might be absorbed by the back, but try this as an experiment. Hold a pillow on the back of your head, and run into a wall, face first. The energy is merely being taken from the front of your skull and moves it PAST your skull, dissapating in the pillow behind your head! It's the same technology used in F1 cars! But ultimatley it's still going to ****ing hurt. A lot.

afrotesticles
Banned
Jan 12, 2006, 12:01 PM

What do you work for Hummer or something?

http://www.zapworld.com/about/news/news_smartmods.asp
If I worked for hummer I'd kill myself. Hummer drivers are the dumbest people on the planet.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 12:03 PM

Nobody argues that a small car can ever have as much of a crumple zone as a big car. But what the Smart has done is to make a small car as safe as possible. Add to that the fact that most Smarts are used as urban vehicles and you should be just fine.

Unless you get hit by an SUV but then you're ****ed whatever car you drive.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2006, 12:04 PM

The shopping center is called Metalli. No I think the bar you’re talking about is the Schiff in the old city. ”What there is more then one place where you can smoke weed”, yeah we’re kind of a bunch of potheads here I think that’s why Switzerland doesn’t get into any wars. Podium 41 or Chaos as it was known when you lived here is located past the basketball courts next to the Marina a little way from downtown. Did you ever go to the outdoor Kino (theater) during the summer, it’s right there?
Ahh, I remember that place. I used to take my morning walks around there.
Actually, I was never in that place. I think they did some remodelling to it back then, but I'm not sure.

-t

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 12:05 PM

Watch the video. The passengers violently change directions. Sure, some energy might be absorbed by the back, but try this as an experiment. Hold a pillow on the back of your head, and run into a wall, face first. The energy is merely being taken from the front of your skull and moves it PAST your skull, dissapating in the pillow behind your head! It's the same technology used in F1 cars! But ultimatley it's still going to ****ing hurt. A lot.
Hey, if I can get 60mpg I'll let the passenger bite it. Yea my dates dead (that's if you can find a date with a Smart) but look how much I saved!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2006, 12:06 PM

...Hold a pillow on the back of your head, and run into a wall, face first....
I think this explains a lot about our dear Ca$h...

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 12:07 PM

Ahh, I remember that place. I used to take my morning walks around there.
Actually, I was never in that place. I think they did some remodelling to it back then, but I'm not sure.

-t
Yep, they remodeled then changed its name to Podium 41.

afrotesticles
Banned
Jan 12, 2006, 12:07 PM

Nobody argues that a small car can ever have as much of a crumple zone as a big car. But what the Smart has done is to make a small car as safe as possible. Add to that the fact that most Smarts are used as urban vehicles and you should be just fine.

Unless you get hit by an SUV but then you're ****ed whatever car you drive.
Untrue. Most new vehicles have very high very thick doors in response to SUV safety. The new 300C or magnum are good examples of designs made to protect people from SUVs. And what Smart has done is made the small car as RIGID as possible. I'd have to say that a new mini cooper is going to be MUCH MUCH MUCH safer than a smart car in almost any collision.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 12:10 PM

Untrue. Most new vehicles have very high very thick doors in response to SUV safety. The new 300C or magnum are good examples of designs made to protect people from SUVs. And what Smart has done is made the small car as RIGID as possible. I'd have to say that a new mini cooper is going to be MUCH MUCH MUCH safer than a smart car in almost any collision.

I was driving past an Explorer yesterday, in my Saab, and I thought to myself that if that thing should ever hit me side on I'd be as dead as a very dead thing. You're honestly wanting to pitch a door against a rigid frame of a multi ton vehicle?

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 12:19 PM

I was driving past an Explorer yesterday, in my Saab, and I thought to myself that if that thing should ever hit me side on I'd be as dead as a very dead thing. You're honestly wanting to pitch a door against a rigid frame of a multi ton vehicle?
Out of thread question here, sorry, do you like your Saab and if so which one do you have. I've been agonizing over if I should get one this coming March (My Bonus comes in). I'm thinking about the 9-3 Aero.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 12:27 PM

I've got an ancient (1994) 900 SSE. Four doors, with the V6 rather than the turbo. It stands up to the Canadian winters amazingly well and the build quality is fantastic. It certainly doesn't look like a 11 year old car, it's fun to drive and comfortable on long trips.

I am thinking about replacing it with another Saab in about two years, probably with the 9-3 SportCombi or the 9-7.

Relic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2006, 12:37 PM

I've got an ancient (1994) 900 SSE. Four doors, with the V6 rather than the turbo. It stands up to the Canadian winters amazingly well and the build quality is fantastic. It certainly doesn't look like a 11 year old car, it's fun to drive and comfortable on long trips.

I am thinking about replacing it with another Saab in about two years, probably with the 9-3 SportCombi or the 9-7.
Yeah, my wife wants the SportCombi to but the boy in me wants the faster model Aero. I say it's my decision anyway since she’s making me get rid of the M3 (pre-marriage car). Aah to be honest I never drive the BMW anyway mostly the Smart (don't tell my wife or we will get the combi) because I really do get away with murder in this thing. I litery park on the sidewalk and people don’t care.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2006, 12:55 PM

The Sports Combi won't disappoint. It's a beautiful car and fast like a very fast thing. Not that this matters much over here, the highway speed limit is 100km/h, real traffic speed anything up to 130.

I like wagons just for the space they offer. It's either the Saab or a new Volvo.

Oh, and my wife would like the new Mini wagon. Link

Beautiful little car.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2006, 08:29 PM

oooh. nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules