Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > skiTunes: Open source iTunes alternative

skiTunes: Open source iTunes alternative (Page 3)
iindigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde
Unified toolbar.

Go on, you know you want to.
Yes actually I do, but I can't because of an odd bug with NSSegmentedView (the play/pause/ff/sw buttons) that makes them clip their top off when they're in a unified toolbar:

[ALL inline images must not exceed 480 pixels width. iindigo, stop posting oversize inline images. USE LINKS. Read the rules, visible from ANY forum listing, for the requirements/limitations on images. --tooki]
Ok, ok, jeez... links suck, but here it is anyway http://iindigo3d.com/buttonclip.png
( Last edited by iindigo; May 19, 2005 at 03:33 PM. )

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by iindigo
Yes actually I do, but I can't because of an odd bug with NSSegmentedView (the play/pause/ff/sw buttons) that makes them clip their top off when they're in a unified toolbar:

[ALL inline images must not exceed 480 pixels width. iindigo, stop posting oversize inline images. USE LINKS. Read the rules, visible from ANY forum listing, for the requirements/limitations on images. --tooki]
Ok, ok, jeez... links suck, but here it is anyway http://iindigo3d.com/buttonclip.png
Just do what I do, make smaller preview jpgs with very poor quality. At 250x250 most people don't notice the diff, and you get the image on the forum instead of just the link.

yukon
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 12:15 AM

Not bad, iTunes is a slow application to run for older machines, I actually have iTunes running off another machine playing my MP3s from here because that machine has CPU power to waste. The last app I used other than iTunes was Mu if anyone remembers that, long since dead, very similar to Muine if anyone's seen that.

What I'm surprised with is that iTunes is being reinvented yet again. Why not contribute to RhythmBox and package it to run on OS X (it may need x11, gtk-osx seems dead), open source and it's pretty far in development, can run on different kinds of hardware. http://www.rhythmbox.org if anyone wants to check it out.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 22, 2005, 12:40 AM

If it can run milkdrop visualizations decently I'll pay $50 for it.

iindigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by yukon
What I'm surprised with is that iTunes is being reinvented yet again. Why not contribute to RhythmBox and package it to run on OS X (it may need x11, gtk-osx seems dead), open source and it's pretty far in development, can run on different kinds of hardware. http://www.rhythmbox.org if anyone wants to check it out.
Because it's not Cocoa and its interface was not designed the Mac way. I don't like using x11 for long periods of time at all, with its huge lack of integration with OS X (no dock, no Mac menubar, and no aqua).

Sorry - for me it's OS X native or nothing at all.

iindigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2005, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
If it can run milkdrop visualizations decently I'll pay $50 for it.
Is that a PC visualizer? If it is there's no way it could be run in ANY Mac player without first recompiling it for PowerPC processors.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 07:53 AM

Is that a PC visualizer? If it is there's no way it could be run in ANY Mac player without first recompiling it for PowerPC processors.
I think this is it.
http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/

powertrippin
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 09:12 AM

GeForce was originally a PC visualizer.

powertrippin
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by albook
Since you weren't sure, I'm guessing you haven't seen it. Beg one of your friends that has a PC to let you view it. In fact, pay them $1, and it'll be the best dollar you've ever spent.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2005, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
GeForce was originally a PC visualizer.
As someone who has used it since the 1.0 days, I can say with certainty that this isn't true. G-Force was in fact Mac-first.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2005, 09:24 AM

Actually, the situation is worse than that. It uses Microsoft's Lockin3D... er... Direct3D, rather than OpenGL, so a large part of the code will need to be rewritten. This is not going to be a simple port.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

iindigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 03:17 PM

Although I'm not much of a programmer myself, I've managed to implement basic Growl support:

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 09:21 PM

Although I'm not much of a programmer myself, I've managed to implement basic Growl support:

Awesome.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

iindigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 03:41 PM

I found a way around the button clipping bug and tweaked the toolbar a little:

cgc
Professional Poster
May 30, 2005, 04:11 PM

One problem I see is that it won't play Apple DRM files, or will it?

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by cgc
One problem I see is that it won't play Apple DRM files, or will it?
Anything that uses QuickTime for playback (such as RealPlayer) can play back .m4p files.

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2005, 04:26 PM

Nice application!

But I have a question for you (could not see it mentioned before): Do you have plans to include AirTunes support?

iindigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by albook
Nice application!

But I have a question for you (could not see it mentioned before): Do you have plans to include AirTunes support?
Yes, if at all possible

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2005, 12:46 AM

Yes, if at all possible
Nice. Lets hope its possible

iindigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 12:15 PM

What I am posting now is the last build of the skiTunes 0.5 beta until further notice. All tweaks I have applied to this build have been through tweaking the NIBs in my personal copy, as I do not have the latest source (Alex still has latest source, however I haven't been able to talk to him for some time now.)

The primary changes are: removal of the old inspector drawer, which wasn't being used; GUI improvements to the inspector; and support for viewing videos in the inspector's album art/preview area.

Here's the link. A lot of bugs are still present, but for the most part it's usable for everyday purposes. I hope you enjoy it.

skiTunes 0.5 Beta - Tweaked

Forum Links
Forum Rules