Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > who's been on forums.macnn.com the longest?

who's been on forums.macnn.com the longest? (Page 3)
Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 09:05 AM

+1

1999 was a dark time for me actually, but the 'NN has always been good to me.

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 10:15 AM

It's been a while... And I had an account for a little while before this one which I forgot the password to.

Was using a Performa 5400/180 with 28.8K dialup, parents being billed by the minute in those days! I was only 17...

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2006, 11:56 AM

i feel so young!
we don't have time to stop for gas

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 12:41 PM

I started reading here in highschool (graduated in '01) because every time I asked bstone a question he told me to look here. After I graduated I spent a year in Israel and only registered a few months after coming back to the states and starting college.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Actually, I'll bet I have just about ALL of you beat. I was getting online in 1982 with my Commodore-64 using the VIC-Modem (300 baud) dialing into Compuserve. It was entirely text as you might guess, and painfully slow. I remember chatting with people and looking up useless information, it was a blast. Of course, my parents loved the phone bill

Tom
I'm a close second. Apple //e with 800 baud coupler to some Apple ][ BBSes.

My neighbor ran an Apple ][+ with 8 floppy drives on some custom serial controllers using BBS software over 3 phone lines. He ran a pirate board and had bookshelves of floppies.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mike one View Post
i went from 7.something to 9.0 when i went from a performa 75Mhz to a blue g3 350MHz!
I went from a IIvx running 7.6 to an 8600/300 running 8.5. Quite a jump in CPU power.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 02:36 PM

Do us old fogies get some kind of recognition?

I geeked out in my younger days with an Atari 800; actually had a modem and posted on BBSs. What innocent times, those early teen years were. Then switched to the arts.

That Quadra 950 was lust-worthy at the time. You shoulda seen how fast I could open Photoshop and add a layer!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 03:37 PM

I think I'm 2004 or something. Maybe 2003. Let's check!
iamwhor3hay

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 03:44 PM

Sept. 2001 I believe, after getting a brand new Pismo!

:edit: whoa. oct. 2000, whadyaknow!

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 05:31 PM

hmm

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
Been here since 2001.
Liar. Reported for identity theft

-t

Railroader
Banned
Nov 5, 2006, 06:04 PM

Mac Bird
Nov 5, 2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by funkboy View Post
The people around for the longest probably don't need to bring attention to it...

and the highest quality members never bring attention to themselves, really...

Fat Barry, paging Fat Barry to the lounge...
Donuts for all!

I've been around since before there was a lounge.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 06:20 PM

just checking my post date, though i joined this forum with a different name. i do remember i joined with my brandnew powerbook g3 333 mhz
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 06:49 PM

I didn't join until you had to to post here. Ah, the good old days …

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 5, 2006, 07:51 PM

I've been here a long time.

But then I had an affair and got busted for drugs.

Went into rehab for being a drunk.

Got out forgot who I was and ended up here and now...

...and quite a trip its been.

edit...
And oh, did I mention the flesh eating desease and well the accidental fall into the vat of acid (drunk) but all seems to be OK now except for the annoying tick (knee jerk to someone's balls) and occasional desire to chop up peeps..
( Last edited by Rolling Bones; Nov 5, 2006 at 07:59 PM. )

Cipher13
Nov 5, 2006, 08:16 PM

Almost 7 years. Time flies.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Almost 7 years. Time flies.
Don't see you around much. Still lurking?
How long have I...

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2006, 09:07 PM

...been here? Quite a while. Crap, I stopped it at 555...oh well.
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2006, 09:22 PM

I have only been here since March. I am also dangerously close to 1,000 posts. But then, I only just switched in '05. I started on an IBM PS/2.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2006, 10:08 PM

I previously had another log-in name. So I have been around here for a very long time.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by mike one View Post
*high 5*
*high five*

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
*high five*
*high V*

Class of 1999 here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2006, 11:17 PM

Sek wuz hea

DarwinX
Nov 6, 2006, 01:49 AM

This thread got dusted off eh?

It really made me reminisce and go check out the 'NN from back in the day around the time I registered: MacNN: The Macintosh News Network

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 01:59 AM

Ah yes, the olden days. I remember plugging in my Blueberry iMac DV and rockin' that 28.8 internet service over a 26k antiquated phone line. I'll be damned if I can remember how I found this site. I think it took me at least a year to post in the lounge.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Sealobo
Nov 6, 2006, 09:57 AM

we apparently are spending too much time here.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 10:47 AM

I've actually been a member here for quite a while, and I'll continue to be around for a while to join in interesting discussions with good folks in spite of some people's fanatical claim that I shouldn't post here because I actually support another board as well, and have complained about some practices here in the past, even though I think that it's just *some* of the members, mods and admins that spoil things around here from time to time.

However, with as long as I've been a member I don't really feel part of the "community" here, though I recognize many member names. I just think this board is too big for that, unless you're involved in the silly, mundane threads that go about in the lounge all the time. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, but I'd rather read an article than spend more time than I do on an Internet board. This is another reason I prefer being at a smaller Mac board as well.

That said, I generally like MacNN and most of the people here. There are a lot of informative, helpful people on here too, and a small board can't really offer the kind of marketplace that this place has. I actually prefer buying from a fellow Mac user and MacNN member than from some guy on eBay. Also, since this board has a great number of members, there are more people willing to talk about diverse topics. So, it's a give and take. Unfortunately, I don't think any place has it all.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 6, 2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
I've actually been a member here for quite a while, and I'll continue to be around for a while to join in interesting discussions with good folks in spite of some people's fanatical claim that I shouldn't post here because I actually support another board as well, and have complained about some practices here in the past, even though I think that it's just *some* of the members, mods and admins that spoil things around here from time to time.

However, with as long as I've been a member I don't really feel part of the "community" here, though I recognize many member names. I just think this board is too big for that, unless you're involved in the silly, mundane threads that go about in the lounge all the time. Not that there's anything wrong with that mind you, but I'd rather read an article than spend more time than I do on an Internet board. This is another reason I prefer being at a smaller Mac board as well.

That said, I generally like MacNN and most of the people here. There are a lot of informative, helpful people on here too, and a small board can't really offer the kind of marketplace that this place has. I actually prefer buying from a fellow Mac user and MacNN member than from some guy on eBay. Also, since this board has a great number of members, there are more people willing to talk about diverse topics. So, it's a give and take. Unfortunately, I don't think any place has it all.
You never give up do you? Like a broken record.

I'll assume I am one of the very people you don't like here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2006, 01:28 PM

I am one of the people I don't like here.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You never give up do you? Like a broken record.

I'll assume I am one of the very people you don't like here.
What's your problem? I'm just being honest. There's no hostility or hidden agenda here. Can you really not stand for someone to say that it isn't all roses and honey? If you take the time to really read and understand my post, you'll realize that in the end, I'm actually saying something good about MacNN. I'll simplify my post for you:

1.) I've been here for quite a while, obviously because I want to. I think that there are some people who ruin this board, but they're in the minority.

2.) I honestly don't feel like "part of the gang" here most of the time. Nothing negative against the 'NN. It's just how I feel.

3.) The 'NN has a lot of pros. There are good people, a variety of interests and an active marketplace. And those are some of the reasons I've been a member for so long and continue to be one.

Would you want me to say that all MacNN'ers are saintly, mild-mannered posters? And should I have to worry about being attacked anytime I express any sort of dismay about some aspect of this board even in a thread about this board and our connection to it?

I have no gripes with any particular person on this or any board, including you. It's some people's attitudes which I think are counter-productive, and in fact destructive.

Please don't try to turn my post into something it is not.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 02:03 PM

2000 officially, but I think I have a nickname from sometime in late 1999 that I couldn't remember come summer of 2000, so I just registered a new one.

On another note, anyone remember The Great Postcount Setback of 2003? I think I lost 200 posts! (Not that that would matter to many people, but with my low count, every bit matters!)
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Railroader
Banned
Nov 6, 2006, 02:28 PM

What's your problem? I'm just being honest. There's no hostility or hidden agenda here. Can you really not stand for someone to say that it isn't all roses and honey? If you take the time to really read and understand my post, you'll realize that in the end, I'm actually saying something good about MacNN. I'll simplify my post for you:

1.) I've been here for quite a while, obviously because I want to. I think that there are some people who ruin this board, but they're in the minority.

2.) I honestly don't feel like "part of the gang" here most of the time. Nothing negative against the 'NN. It's just how I feel.

3.) The 'NN has a lot of pros. There are good people, a variety of interests and an active marketplace. And those are some of the reasons I've been a member for so long and continue to be one.

Would you want me to say that all MacNN'ers are saintly, mild-mannered posters? And should I have to worry about being attacked anytime I express any sort of dismay about some aspect of this board even in a thread about this board and our connection to it?

I have no gripes with any particular person on this or any board, including you. It's some people's attitudes which I think are counter-productive, and in fact destructive.

Please don't try to turn my post into something it is not.
Why don't you buy ad space on 'NN for your other forum.

Your bickering is lame.

This place isn't perfect, and there are other places I like better, but I don't promote other places, lamely I might add, like you do.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2006, 02:37 PM

What's your problem? I'm just being honest. There's no hostility or hidden agenda here. Can you really not stand for someone to say that it isn't all roses and honey? If you take the time to really read and understand my post, you'll realize that in the end, I'm actually saying something good about MacNN.
I don’t think it had anything to do with the fact that you were criticising or saying bad things about MacNN; but more that it wasn’t at all necessary to bring the thing up again (even by just referring to it) in this thread, and that it really did come off as promotion. I have to say I agree—it was unnecessary to even mention the whole thing in this thread (I’m referring to your first paragraph here, not the second and third ones), which doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 6, 2006, 03:55 PM

After reading in the comments in the feedback forum, I did something just now I abhor very much.

http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...w-infractions/

I reported abuse by Railroader for his harassment and turning this thread to horse pucky.

Maybe it can be saved if someone keeps the subject going instead of attacking people.

Back to...

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2006, 05:04 PM

What's there to keep going? No matter how many times this topic comes up, the answer can't change.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 05:21 PM

can you please please please stop going on about your precious AppleTalker?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Why don't you buy ad space on 'NN for your other forum.

Your bickering is lame.

This place isn't perfect, and there are other places I like better, but I don't promote other places, lamely I might add, like you do.
I'm not even promoting anything in my post. What the heck is up with you, man?!

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I don’t think it had anything to do with the fact that you were criticising or saying bad things about MacNN; but more that it wasn’t at all necessary to bring the thing up again (even by just referring to it) in this thread, and that it really did come off as promotion. I have to say I agree—it was unnecessary to even mention the whole thing in this thread (I’m referring to your first paragraph here, not the second and third ones), which doesn’t have anything to do with it.
Oisín, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm starting to feel like there's some type of censorship going on here by other members where I can't even say what I feel, no matter how I put it. I am a long-time MacNN member, a few years older than you, and I felt that was necessary, no matter what you think.

I happen to resent the whole attitude that because I have some opinions contrary to some other members here I shouldn't be here-- this from some people who joined after me, some less than a year ago. I am not going to censor myself because it gets some people upset. I stay away from the Political Lounge because I don't want to become embroiled in heated debates, but in this I am standing my ground.

I like this board. I think it's worth visiting and contributing to. And I've said so. But if some people insist on selectively seeing only what they interpret as "bad" or "negative" and completely ignore anything else I say, no matter how many times I reiterate the "good", then it is they who have the problem, not I. You should be criticizing Railroader, not me.

People should have the decency of respecting other's opinions and thoughts, even if they disagree. I am speaking purely of my own experience, and it should be read as such. I certainly won't go bashing anyone for saying how they feel about something, just because I don't feel the same way. Why is it that it's okay to bash Apple, the entire reason this board exists, but yet I cannot relate my honest experiences over here without complaining and the whole sky falling?

And hey Railroader, if you don't like it- tough. You should analyze your own actions when you post just to insult people (as in the thread Rolling Bones linked to) or when you post just to create discord, as in this thread, all the while playing the innocent. Grow up.

As far as I'm concerned this matter is closed and done with. If you want to continue it you've got no one but yourself to blame.

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Can you please stop making up stuff? I've not even mentioned that board, and it has absolutely no bearing on what I had to say. Can you get that through your head, Peter?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
He didn't.

Don't have mods be able to read ?

-t

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
He didn't.

Don't have mods be able to read ?

-t
Infarction!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Infarction!
Infartation

-t

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 05:59 PM

:d.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 6, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
What's there to keep going? No matter how many times this topic comes up, the answer can't change.
Well, people were discussing some of their experiences here. Good times, bad times. I found that interesting till it turned into sh!t throwing by a certain member.

Just sayin'.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 6, 2006, 08:11 PM

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 6, 2006, 08:26 PM

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 08:59 PM

Amazing. I'm stunned beyond belief to find a flame fe...

Oh, wait... no I'm not.

where the hell is Chris_h when we need him??

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
wow i have been around for more than 5 years already. time flies.
Indeed.

hayesk
Nov 6, 2006, 09:32 PM

I have no idea so I'm going to post too see when I registered.

Edit: 7 years! Not bad.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 6, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones View Post
After reading in the comments in the feedback forum, I did something just now I abhor very much.

http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...w-infractions/

I reported abuse by Railroader for his harassment and turning this thread to horse pucky.

Maybe it can be saved if someone keeps the subject going instead of attacking people.

Back to...
What a cry baby. Is this where you make a unapologetic racist statement?

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones View Post
Well, people were discussing some of their experiences here. Good times, bad times. I found that interesting till it turned into sh!t throwing by a certain member.

Just sayin'.
Oh the irony. I suggest you search your own posting history and look in the mirror.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2006, 09:40 PM

A good thread is going down the drain because members

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules