Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5 Pre-Order: $109 at Amazon. Free Shipping. No tax.

10.5 Pre-Order: $109 at Amazon. Free Shipping. No tax.
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2007, 08:40 PM

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2007, 08:43 PM

Wow. Wasn't it $119 just earlier today? Impressive.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Oct 16, 2007, 09:21 PM

True, but proceeding to checkout, you get an estimated ship date of Oct. 31st.

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Oh the horror!!!!!!!!

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2007, 12:49 PM

Actually, if you choose "Free Shipping" ship date is November 5th or so they say.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 02:14 PM

I'm impatient and would rather spend the extra money to get it on release date.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 02:55 PM

For most things, I would be too, but I think even if I get leopard on the 26th (from the $9.95 upgrade) I may wait it out through the weekend just to make sure there aren't any huge problems. If there aren't (which I'm 99% sure there won't be, but you never know) I'll be installing monday.

So if I didn't already have the cheap upgrade option from Apple, I'd buy from Amazon and consider the waiting time as a trial run for everyone else.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2007, 03:53 PM

As I always do, I will be making an image of my PowerBook drive onto my external backup drive just in case. If there is anything terribly wrong with 10.5, I will move the image back over to my PowerBook.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 04:38 PM

If you live in a state with a use tax, then getting it "no tax" is tax fraud, and if you're audited and they find out, you'll owe more than just the sales tax.

Partial list of states with use tax.

In Ohio (and many other states), the use tax is listed on the tax return. Sure, it's voluntary, but if you write zero and they discover you lied during the audit, they will go over everything with a fine-toothed comb and assess you the tax plus penalties.

I had a friend (in Ohio) who got audited and he put zero on the use tax line and during the audit they discovered he bought something from Amazon and didn't report it on the use tax line. Then they looked at EVERY bank statement and EVERY credit card statement and found several other unreported taxable purchases he made. He ended up paying hundreds of dollars in penalties and interest on what amounted to about $50 of additional tax liability.

Sure, it's rare, but it's more likely to happen than winning the lottery, and it isn't worth it to me to save $7 if it gets found out later and I end up paying $107 with interest and penalties thrown in.

Think about whether you want to take that chance or not. I never used to report things until my friend got busted.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 04:51 PM

Amazon.com always has the estimated ship date further in the future then the actual ship date. It's like they are being overly cautious. I would be very surprised if it shipped after 26 Oct.

BTW, I was eligible for Amazon.com pro (or something like that) and got free 2-day shipping. Muahahaha...

rgarza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2007, 05:37 PM

I signed up for their visa to get the $30 cash back plus the free 2 day shipping. Total should come out to $79. I had already ordered from apple for $139.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by rgarza View Post
I signed up for their visa to get the $30 cash back plus the free 2 day shipping. Total should come out to $79. I had already ordered from apple for $139.
I forgot about that one, but I don't need another credit card...

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Amazon.com always has the estimated ship date further in the future then the actual ship date. It's like they are being overly cautious. I would be very surprised if it shipped after 26 Oct.

BTW, I was eligible for Amazon.com pro (or something like that) and got free 2-day shipping. Muahahaha...
Looks like Amazon will be shipping Leopard sooner than expected (though I did expect it):

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are writing about the order you placed on October 17 2007 13:48 PDT
(Order# xxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx). The item(s) listed below will actually
ship sooner than we originally expected:

"Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard" [DVD-ROM]
Estimated arrival date: 10/30/2007

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 09:19 PM

Mine is saying Oct 30th as well.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
If you live in a state with a use tax, then getting it "no tax" is tax fraud, and if you're audited and they find out, you'll owe more than just the sales tax.

Partial list of states with use tax.

In Ohio (and many other states), the use tax is listed on the tax return. Sure, it's voluntary, but if you write zero and they discover you lied during the audit, they will go over everything with a fine-toothed comb and assess you the tax plus penalties.

I had a friend (in Ohio) who got audited and he put zero on the use tax line and during the audit they discovered he bought something from Amazon and didn't report it on the use tax line. Then they looked at EVERY bank statement and EVERY credit card statement and found several other unreported taxable purchases he made. He ended up paying hundreds of dollars in penalties and interest on what amounted to about $50 of additional tax liability.

Sure, it's rare, but it's more likely to happen than winning the lottery, and it isn't worth it to me to save $7 if it gets found out later and I end up paying $107 with interest and penalties thrown in.

Think about whether you want to take that chance or not. I never used to report things until my friend got busted.
Your friend got audited probably because he made too many deductions and so the gummint got suspicious. If you use the standard deduction your chance of being audited is a million in one.

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2007, 10:51 AM

Now $104.54 delivered at LA Computer Company

L.A. Computer Company Store

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Mine is saying Oct 30th as well.
That's with the 2-day shipping NOT the free shipping option - is that correct?

mindwaves
Oct 22, 2007, 02:17 PM

I'm getting mine through my university's bookstore for $89. However, I've heard reports of some bookstores selling them for $69.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee View Post
That's with the 2-day shipping NOT the free shipping option - is that correct?
Yes.

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2007, 02:38 PM

My delivery date for Leopard from Amazon is now Nov. 3rd-6th with the Super Saver Shipping. Originally it was the 12th-16th. Not too shabby. I ordered on Oct. 19th.

Voch

Forum Links
Forum Rules