Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Any left handers?

Any left handers?
macmad
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 10:00 AM

How many mac users (in this forum) are left handed??
Just a theory I have - they tell me left handers are more creative, artistic types.
P.S. I am, well - left handed anyway!

kaceygones
Senior User
May 31, 2001, 10:59 AM

I'm left-handed and proud of it, though I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
It's so inconvenient at times. Especially with scissors and can openers.

I'm the only left-hander in my whole family and whenever I do something silly,
they tease me about it. I don't mind. It makes me unique (in my family.)

kacey

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 11:05 AM

I am right handed and I am not creative .

------------------

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 11:09 AM

left handed, only one in my family too, im the unique one

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 11:12 AM

I'm a lefty.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I got into computers. I could never stand how my left hand used to smear all hell out of whatever I was writing in class, whether it be with pen or pencil. The keyboard is the best thing that ever happened to me (at least related to writing).

------------------
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 11:16 AM

Just like Da Vinci, Babe Ruth, and many Presidents (including the last three, Reagan, G.H.W. Bush and Clinton) -

I am lefthanded. OK, well, not a true lefty. I'm ambidextrous.

------------------
Dave Simon
----------
Windows are easily broken.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 11:31 AM

Lefty here. The whole family is too, plus lots of extended relatives.

suprz
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 11:55 AM

i'm right handed but i use my left hand for moving the mouse. i cant even think of using my right hand for moving the mouse. does that count?? it all started when i was taking helicopter flying lessons. i had to get used to using my left hand and i started to use it for the mouse on my computer, and now i just cant use my right.....

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

fobside
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by suprz:
i'm right handed but i use my left hand for moving the mouse. i cant even think of using my right hand for moving the mouse. does that count?? it all started when i was taking helicopter flying lessons. i had to get used to using my left hand and i started to use it for the mouse on my computer, and now i just cant use my right.....
im not left-handed. almost tho...i used the other one instead. i believe its called the right hand. ive tried to throw left-handed and shoot left-handed in basketball. its the most girly thing youve ever seen. since theres very little coordination for sports in my left arm, i have to contort my body to make the ball go. its the funnest thing in thw world. for those if you that dont believe me...try throwing a tennis ball with your left hand even if its just across the room.

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 01:18 PM

I'm left-handed. I love to draw.

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 01:20 PM

I'm a lefty, and what a pain!! I trained my whole family to use the mouse, left-handed, 'cause I don't have the coordination in my right hand to do it right er... correctly! My dad used to be, but he went to catholic schools all his life, and they made him switch, so he's not, anymore.

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

poocat
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 01:32 PM

this, btw, is a good topic.

i'm right-handed... mostly.
for some odd reason i play any sport that involves a stick left-handed:
golf, lacrosse, hockey, baseball (bat left but throw right)...

it's weird, and good sometimes (baseball) and bad others (it's really hard to find left-handed golf clubs...) but, well, i like it.

and i can use a mouse w/ either hand (my good friend is left handed, and i use his comp. all the time that way).

here's another thought (yeah, this is a long post):
have you all thought about how our brain works in relation to different devices? for example, if you're playing doom on a keyboard (or quake, or whatever) then you drive with your right hand (on the arrow keys) or at least that's how it used to be (now it's all configurable). on the other hand, if you're playing bond or perfect dark or any 1st person game on a game console, you drive w/ your left hand.... curious, no? and the best part is that people are talented enough to switch back and forth w/o any thought!

i love humans.
poocat.

[edit: can't spell w/ either hand]

[This message has been edited by poocat (edited 05-31-2001).]
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
this, btw, is a good topic.

here's another thought (yeah, this is a long post):
have you all thought about how our brain works in relation to different devices? for example, if you're playing doom on a keyboard (or quake, or whatever) then you drive with your right hand (on the arrow keys) or at least that's how it used to be (now it's all configurable). on the other hand, if you're playing bond or perfect dark or any 1st person game on a game console, you drive w/ your left hand.... curious, no? and the best part is that people are talented enough to switch back and forth w/o any thought!

i love humans.
poocat.

[edit: can't spell w/ either hand]

[This message has been edited by poocat (edited 05-31-2001).]
I beg to differ on the game thing... I havn't played any of the games you mention *cheerios hangs head in shame* but I used to play a little MS game called chips challenge, where you steer with the arrow keys and I always scooted the keyboard over, and used my left hand!! Funny thing is... when i first played UT, and Oni, too, I could NOT deal with moving with the arrows and looking with the mouse, becuase I simply don't have that kind of coordination in my right hand! I'd end up going right instead of left, among other things...

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by HeatMiser:
I'm a lefty.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I got into computers. I could never stand how my left hand used to smear all hell out of whatever I was writing in class, whether it be with pen or pencil. The keyboard is the best thing that ever happened to me (at least related to writing).
I can agree completely Having the side of my hand blue was a pain, especially if the ink was hard to get off

------------------

[This message has been edited by t6hawk (edited 05-31-2001).]
:)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 02:19 PM

I'm right handed, and I don't trust left handed people. I think you guys are like freaks of nature or something. Go back to Portugal you lefty mutants.

------------------

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 31, 2001, 02:24 PM

Lefty
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Satan
May 31, 2001, 02:27 PM

Leftys Rock! We are the only people in our Right minds.

Satan

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
Go back to Portugal you lefty mutants.
Actually, lefties are the quintessential Mac users, the elite of the elite. Who Thinks different better than a lefty?

http://www.snpp.com/guides/lisa-2.html#Q6

------------------

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 02:32 PM

I'm a proud lefty, and have learned how to manage in this right-man's world. My brother and niece are also south-paws. Scissors are no problem (c'mon guys, all you need to do is switch the direction of force of your thumb to cut with right-handed scissors... easy! All those art-and-craft projects in elementary school with a box of right-handed scissors taught me well). I do mouse right-handed though.

The only pain in the ass task is learning to play guitar right-handed. Well, that and taking several years of Japanese and trying to get the stroke order down correctly, since that language is not designed for lefties (I eventually said screw the stroke order anyhow).

But anyway, lefties are better, more creative, sexier, etc.. Everyone knows that.

Keep the rubber side down!

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2001, 02:39 PM

Of course, I don't know if we lefties can be trusted. From Dictionary.com

left-hand�ed
adj.
4. Of doubtful sincerity; dubious

Keep the rubber side down!

saj
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 03:11 PM

I'm right handed, but use my mouse left-handed. No particular reason. Just thought that every part of my body should get equal share of everything.

poocat
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 03:15 PM

i guess you're right. or left.
my friend who's left handed plays games where you have to look w/ the mouse and drive w/ the keys with the mouse in his left hand and the keys in his right. i play mouse right keys left...

but... hmm. if i wasn't using one of these stupid microsoft mice (that's biased for the right hand) on a dell box right now i'd try going left hand on the mouse, right on the keys in a game. i will next chance i get and let you know if it bugs me (or if i can do it at all...)
(ah the advantages of my logitech optical mouse... let me count the ways)

and in any n64 1st person game, you have to drive left... hrmmm. i'm confused. ah well.

god i'd love to be ambidexterous.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 03:46 PM

Lefties are a myth. The don't exist. Just like Faries, Ghosts, and eskimos!!

brainloop
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 03:50 PM

I'm left-handed

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 03:50 PM

It should come as no surprise to anyone here that I am a lefty.
I have also made my living in the arts or humanities for most of my life. 90% of my key interests revolve around the arts and humanities. I have used Macs most of my computing life and all of my professional life. I suck at math and my plain ole straight linnear logic skills are less than sharp. I, as the rest of you lefties, walk around with a blue/black/greyish smudge on the underside of my hand. It's been that way for so long that I do not think it ever completely washes off.
I LOVE being left handed. Most of the time. There are those occasions when it is a slight pain in the ass. The left cheek, of course.

[This message has been edited by maxelson (edited 05-31-2001).]

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

nealconner
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 04:27 PM

I'm a lefty too (at writting and golf only).

------------------
neal andrew conner
[email protected]
aim: neal a conner

suprz
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
I'm a lefty, and what a pain!! I trained my whole family to use the mouse, left-handed, 'cause I don't have the coordination in my right hand to do it right er... correctly! My dad used to be, but he went to catholic schools all his life, and they made him switch, so he's not, anymore.
i went to a catholic school for 12 years.... (ugh) and i heard a story (i dont know if it's true) but the reason why they used to train children to use the right hand is that because it was believed that left handed children were shown to be caused by women getting pregnant out of incest. so it was believed that a left handed child was the sign of incest and the devil. (you know, "the right hand of god" and all that stuff..)

------------------
" I think,
therefore....IMAC
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

nealconner
Mac Elite
May 31, 2001, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by suprz:
i went to a catholic school for 12 years.... (ugh) and i heard a story (i dont know if it's true) but the reason why they used to train children to use the right hand is that because it was believed that left handed children were shown to be caused by women getting pregnant out of incest. so it was believed that a left handed child was the sign of incest and the devil. (you know, "the right hand of god" and all that stuff..)

Where do they get off with that! Thats so stupid. (Mumbles something under breath). Hooray for the Protestant revolution!

------------------
neal andrew conner
[email protected]
aim: neal a conner

[This message has been edited by nealconner (edited 05-31-2001).]

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 05:17 PM

My first grade teacher (in a pulblic school, no less) used to whack me on the knuckles with a ruler when she saw me writing with my left hand. She must've been trying to save my soul or something. Huh.

------------------
"I am not really an actor. I'm merely dyspeptic."

graphixmaker
Forum Regular
May 31, 2001, 05:18 PM

Lefty

Although I use a mouse right handed, play guitar right handed and use scissors right handed. Must have been all the scissors at school that made me switch. My uncle was a lefty but my grandfather made him switch. He regrets it now because he put him through so much sh!t. I think it should be a crime to force a child to switch what hand they use. Emotional abuse or something.

Jim

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 05:41 PM

I'm a 100% left hander, as is my sister . Both my mom and dad are right handed. I use a mouse in my right hand though...but I do everytihng else with my left hand...

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2001, 05:46 PM

if i remember Ted Fladers' description of left handed, it has its roots in sinsister

righty here....except when i get board

------------------
"Never cook bacon without a shirt on." -ironknee
KDO

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
My first grade teacher (in a pulblic school, no less) used to whack me on the knuckles with a ruler when she saw me writing with my left hand. She must've been trying to save my soul or something. Huh.

Think of it like tihs...public school, steeped in old principals and fashions ( I wnet to public school too...so I can relate)...not forgetting Latin.

Latin for "left" was "sinus". It was nearly illegal to be left handed. Yuo couldn't walk on the left hand side of the road...becuase it was considered to be evil...so where do you think that the word sinister comes from?

But heck...I don't mind having that "evil streak"...

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Harpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 02:06 AM

Yeah, I'm left handed, and so's my mom. I'd definitely say we're the two most right-brained (visually, creatively oriented) in our family. Of course, years of mad crazy typing have rendered my handwriting almost totally illegible, and I've trained myself to mouse with my right, but that means I can have a sweet desktop setup: Wacom tablet on the left, keyboard in the middle, and mouse on the right.

------------------

@@===============@@
<A HREF="http://jen.ecommunitas.com" TARGET=_blank>
jen.ecommunitas.com
</A>
@@===============@@
@@===============@@

jen.ecommunitas.com

@@===============@@

klee6150
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2001, 03:49 AM

Left-handed:
Write
Eat
Overhand throw
Catch
Screw out

Right-handed:
Sketch
Cut
Mouse and trackpad
Underhand throw
Screw in

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2001, 09:05 AM

100% left handed.

------------------
Robert Accettura
Owner/Webmaster of

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2001, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by georgius:
Think of it like tihs...public school, steeped in old principals and fashions ( I wnet to public school too...so I can relate)...not forgetting Latin.

Latin for "left" was "sinus". It was nearly illegal to be left handed. Yuo couldn't walk on the left hand side of the road...becuase it was considered to be evil...so where do you think that the word sinister comes from?
I don't deny that leftiness is a sign of evil. I've never denied my own insidious evil. Sinister cannot begin to describe my wickedness. My heart is blacker than the Hole in Calcutta. My soul is as dark as the interior of a cast iron oil tank. I am a moral cancer. I am a social deviant. I am valuless slime. My offspring are the legion of doom. I crusade for rampant corruption. I am left handed. Hear me roar.... meow... AHEM *cough.. sputter... hawk... spit*... ROAR!!!

------------------
"I am not really an actor. I'm merely dyspeptic."

Forum Links
Forum Rules