Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What Made you a Mac User?

What Made you a Mac User?
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 12:52 PM

What made you a Mac user? Was it the simplicity? The beauty of the OS? The Beauty of the Hardware? The ease of use? Were you forced into using one and just fell in love with the Mac? Did OS X make you start using a Mac?

I was just curious about others, for me it was seeing Windows 3.1 and DOS then seeing the Mac. It's ease of use and it nice interface and just being able to plug things in and having them work. I think if M$ had Win 95 type interface earlier on I may not have been with the Mac but going with the Mac and being a Mac user has been one of the best things I've every done.

Now you couldn't rip the Mac from my hands. It is in my blood.

BTW my other machines that I've used was an Apple IIE, Back in the day, My first Mac was in college a performa 600 which I had all though it til I bought my PowerMac 7500 that was a real work horse Machine. basically did everything, Then I go t a Duo and that was my first foray into Apple portables. I had always wnated one. After that I got the first G3 wallstreet. the 233 with no cache and the 13.3 screen. Sold that a few years later and got a Lombard.(Bronze Keyboard) And a G4 450. Had the Lomard for a few months then bought a PISMO 500 Love it.

[This message has been edited by typoon (edited 05-22-2001).]
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

saj
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 12:59 PM

I was always fascinated by Mac though I used to use PeeCee (not by choice, of course). The only reason why I didn't go for Mac was that it way out of my reach (read expensive!!!). Now that I've started working, believe it or not, the first thing I did was to buy a Mac. (iMac DV+, Indigo).

The good things about Mac? Hmmmmmm..... I can't think of anything bad about Mac.... Hence everything is the best. The user interface, the ease of use, the mind blowing graphics, and the design.

Last but not the least, one button mouse. I just love it. If at all we feel the need of two buttons, its because of Micro$oft's products!!!! Damn.

Peace.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 01:03 PM

Simple: OS X

------------------

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 01:05 PM

There was a TI machine, a Win 3 and an original Mac sitting side by each in the Print shop in my High school. Given the three choices, I ALWAYS went to the Mac - long before I knew the technological differences. In college, I had the choice of using the networked Data Generals (was it AS400?) or the LC in the student lounge. What do you think I'd go for? TIme came to buy my own. I had salesman pressure left and right to get the PC running '95. One guy started pushing and demoed the wintel box. He crashed it almost immediately. Rebooted it. Crashed it again.
"Thanks, I'll take the Performa."
"Apple is not a company that will be with us for long. Oh, yeah, they're going under."
"I'll take the Performa."
"I can't recommend that..."
"I'll take the Performa."
" It is not a smart..."
"I'll take my business elsewhere and buy a Performa at Eggheads."
"No. Wait."
"OK. I'll take the Performa"
"But look here at the HP..."
"I'll be taking my business elsewhere. AFTER I've spoken with the store manager about your sales tactics."
Now I buy direct. Always Apple. Always a Mac. Always will.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

spike
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 01:25 PM

I "borned" Mac

Ralph_J
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 01:25 PM

In 1987 my older brother bought a Mac. He showed it to me, and I just "got it" right away -- it was as if my brain had always held some primordial understanding of the Mac OS. Since that first encounter, I've never wanted to use anything else.

Macs have shaped my life ever since. I became a professional graphic artist because of my love affair with the Mac. I met my wife because she was a Mac user.

If Apple ever goes out of business and the Mac OS dies, I'll probably stop using computers. It goes that deep for me.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 01:47 PM

OS X
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Macintosh
Banned
May 22, 2001, 02:02 PM

Ask yourself if the other guys do anything better than Apple. I asked myself that and the answer was no. Having a mac is having history,design,speed,simplicity,elegance,and above all else a just better way of doing the same things. That's why I like it,it is that certain way of the Apple solution that makes me love it. Nobody else can do what Apple does or ever will.

My brother was the one who opened my eyes to the Mac and since then I have realized why he even cared so much as to let me in on a little secret called Apple.
He did it because he felt so attached too,like all of you. Mac now runs in my blood,forever.

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 02:22 PM

hmmm... had an Apple IIc, then a IIe, then a IIgs at school, too a break to learn DOS when they flooded our school with Win3.1 machines, went to an all mac highschool (still is, 'cept one linux box), parents bought a mac (never really used one till that point) and I got hooked. Never looked back, shelled out on my own sophomore year for a PB G3, and never stopped loving Apple Laptops. suckered my parents into buying me a Ti for a grad present, and that's where I am today. stability, ease of use, speed, and a cool looking box... who cares if they cost a tad bit more?

------------------
Yeah! 100+ posts... now you all have to listen to me... once in a while

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

mr. natural
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 02:23 PM

I ran an art gallery in Boston back in '86-'91 and had a compac 286. During the final daze of closure on that venture someone broke in and stole off with the compac. Ha, I was kinda glad to be rid of the clunky box which wheezed, moaned and seemed about ready to keel over any moment. It served its purpose at the time and then...

...well, I moved out into the woods and worked in my garden, my home, my life. All along I kinda figured out that we'd all be better served with photo-voltaic panels on everyone's roof then a computer in everyone's home, so I did just that and much more to try and live lightly on this earth and enjoy the pleasures which only nature has to offer. My family called me a luddite and my friends stopped asking me why I didn't get with the program (hell, I surprised them all when I fianlly got an answering machine a couple years ago -- still no TeeVee). Read a lot of great books in my spare time.

Anyway, I've been a fair and hard critic of this here computer revolution (No folks, it won't save our lives), and finally I figured I should atleast re-read the book (metaphorically speaking). So, this past January I joined the 21st century -- now that it had officially arrived -- and bought what my father in-law (a pc user himself) enviously calls my "sexy" G4 set-up.

I would of never bought another peecee set-up, but Apple sure made it easy for me with their exquisite designs. Ah, yes, my silicon crystal ball is a thing of beauty, but we still have to live with our human failings and no computer will ever fix that.

Only via the hands on human capacity to love, play, forgive, think well (not just different) with wisdom will we become better than we are right now.

Still, i'm glad to be partners with all you rebels ; -)

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
May 22, 2001, 02:41 PM

I was motivated to buy a Mac because I am studying Graphic Design in college, and working in the field. I know it's not the nobelest of reasons, but I've come to love using Macs. I've learned more about the inner workings and the "technical stuff" from using the Mac also.

I used to use PCs prior to the Mac, and I'll admit I was one of those PC users that never took the Mac seriously. My little bit of PC knowledge didn't mean jack-squat in my line of work which (with the possible exception of Web Design, which I don't do anyway) is still Mac dominated. Once I got on the Mac, I couldn't believe I'd ever used a PC or why I owned TWO of them prior to owning a Macintosh

My first Mac is the one I'm still using right now, (Beige G3/266 Desktop) and that alone shows that these are great machines. Both my PC's combined "lifetimes" don't even come close to this Macs. My remaining Pentium 200 MMX PC rests in my closet until I decide whether it's worth trying to even get it up and running again, but I'm not losing any sleep over it

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeM32 (edited 05-22-2001).]

professionalmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 02:48 PM

I got hooked on Macs after using MacPaint on a 512K Mac in high school. I thought to myself, "this is the way computers are supposed to work." I've been a Mac user ever since. Even when I have used a PC as my primary machine, I always had a Mac around.

shmerek
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 02:51 PM

the original iMac. I was a first time computer buyer and it seemed like the perfect machine for University. That and I have a friend that is a mac programmer that was telling me about them.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 02:54 PM

I used Apple computers since the IIe, but I was never certain I was a Mac user until Windows 3.1 arrived. That sealed it.

------------------
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

Patrick
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 03:14 PM

I also claim to have gotten hooked by the program MacPaint. When I was 7 or 8 (mid 80s), a friend of my dad was throwing some sort of holiday party at his house, and a bunch of us kids were fooling around with MacPaint on a 128k or 512k. Some time around then my dad's office started using Macs, and we got one at home. I've been hooked ever since. The first time I saw Windows, many years later, I wasn't even aware that there was a different system; I just thought it was a cheap knockoff (and later I found out that it was).

derbs
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 04:02 PM

excellent thread Typhoon, makes a change from what i've been seeing around here recently...

I always remember the first time I used a Mac, I must have been about 10 or 11 years old, and my mom got herself a brand new IIcx at work (under intense pressure from my dad )

Anyone remember the floppy with the tutorial on it, an ancient black and white Director thing, where you learned to click and drag, with the dude with shiny black hair, and the paper aeroplane? ...anyone?

The rest is history I guess. Apple have treated me like **** at times, I thought they would go under at others, but i've always stuck with them through thick or thin. A lot of people 'like' Apple, but for me it's a deep, emotional attachment.

Has there ever been, or will there in the future, be an electronics company that carries such involvement from its customers?

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by derbs:
excellent thread Typhoon, makes a change from what i've been seeing around here recently...

I always remember the first time I used a Mac, I must have been about 10 or 11 years old, and my mom got herself a brand new IIcx at work (under intense pressure from my dad )

Anyone remember the floppy with the tutorial on it, an ancient black and white Director thing, where you learned to click and drag, with the dude with shiny black hair, and the paper aeroplane? ...anyone?

The rest is history I guess. Apple have treated me like **** at times, I thought they would go under at others, but i've always stuck with them through thick or thin. A lot of people 'like' Apple, but for me it's a deep, emotional attachment.

Has there ever been, or will there in the future, be an electronics company that carries such involvement from its customers?

Your Welcome derbs. I felt we needed something a bit Less controversial. To me as well it using a Mac has become an emotional attachment
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

brainloop
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 04:56 PM

My father gave me a Classic II when I was 8. Since the first moment I used Mac Paint I haven't even thought of buying a PC. ^__^

Il est tard donc excusez mon anglais

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 05:17 PM

my girlfriend got a 6100/60 (the first "powerpc")
i didn't have any hardcore interest in it...until i discovered resEdit.
now i live by it...
9.1, yo!

------------------

"just posting, not boasting" �
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Yuri1419
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 05:22 PM

I hated the first mac I met. I thought it was a rude little jerk: "Insert this disk. Insert that disk. Insert this disk. Insert that disk". Bleah.

I'd been an Atari user since 1982 with my Atari 400, 410 cassette recorder and enough time to eat lunch while the 16K Zaxxon loaded off cassette. Went through an 800XL and 1040ST before college, where I met that pushy little SE. A few weeks later, I found that moving a file from point A to B could be done in 2 ways- by learning how to log in, copy and set FTP permission on a DOS box, or by clicking and dragging on the Mac. I gave it a second chance, and we've become very tight friends.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 05:23 PM

I know I've been gone for a while..

Anyway. My uncle brought home a 512k way back when, and my father set it up in my sister's room. At the time, she must've been somewhere between six and eight years old. So my father goes off to work, and by the time he comes home in the afternoon she's learned how to navigate the Finder, use TeachText, paint something with MacPaint, et cetera. It's at that moment he figures that if his young child can use the computer, his secretary can. So he buys two for his office, and now we've just fitted them with iMacs a decade and a half later.

I grew up with the Mac. My sister gave up on hers and bought a PC when she went to college, and we've both said that each of us have been "led astray." Either way, my rig is a 1999 iMac with OS X 10.0.3.. so I'm happy.

------------------
www.thejoshu.com
www.netstudio.nu

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 05:32 PM

I was given a 520 laptop, it was great but slow and small HD.
So i was looking to update, i did a lot of homework looking at what you get for your money.
My wife had used mac before, and the school that my children go to are all mac, so for the sake of a home office that everybody could use ,we chose Mac.(a imac bondi blue the day of release).

[This message has been edited by Aussiemac (edited 05-22-2001).]
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 06:11 PM

I am the product of apple's 80's education campain.

I started on an Apple II when I was still in kindergarden. A year or two later my father brought home a Mac Plus. Pirates! (decides not to ramble on about all of my old favorite software) been hooked ever since....

many mac's later at both school and home I am now the happy owner of a Dual 450...

Apple don't give up the education market it is the most important to your future!!!

------------------
"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of work another company could come along and copy your work and market it under its own name...without legal restraints to such copying, companies like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art."
- Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

sebuchen
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 06:20 PM

I'm like a lot of users here. I started out with the original 16K Apple ][, owned almost EVERY Apple computer since then. Even bought a $10,000 Lisa. The first time I got into MacPaint and saw how the Mac could resize a circle interactively, I HAD to have one. I've never looked back, and never will.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 06:44 PM

The mac is the de facto standard in the graphic design industry. I hadn't used a computer seriously 'til about my sophomore year of college. I absolutely hated computers. I believe we had IIVX's in our lab. Damn those things were slow. The administrator of the lab had a Quadra. In my senior year Apple had just released the PowerPC's and had sales rep demonstrate the machines at our campus store. That's when I knew I would buy one for myself and it turned out to be the first gen 8500.
Who'sDaMac?

fobside
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 07:34 PM

one word: Titanium.

now for some more words. this machine just looked so cool to me. i wanted a laptop and i figured i had two wintel towers so why not go with apple? i was never and apple hater. wintel and apple are just different. so i decided to go with mac. i love apple hardware but the mac os leaves something to be desired imho. i dunno about osx cuz i havent used it much but im not wowed by os 9.x at all. still, beautiful hardware and beautiful OS.

------------------
http://chuckie.home.dhs.org/

[This message has been edited by fobside (edited 05-22-2001).]

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 07:57 PM

My dad got a 520c from his school. I would love to play with it and we bought Macs ever since. Plus, they are cool .

------------------

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 08:12 PM

As with a number of other people my original apple was the ][e that my dad brought home (and never really used). I used to do some spreadsheet stuff for him, in between games of Loderunner.

But when I got to college, I saw that these small, elegant Mac SEs were a dream for getting the work done, which in my case was writing endless numbers of papers. The screen was just wide enough for what I was typing, and my old Imagewriter worked by just plugging it in. And the ATM font DA just knocked my socks off. I just loved having all of that in one compact package, and having so much control over how my text printed (handy when the number of pages required was a little short!).

I stayed with Macs too because I've found them to be reasonably straightforward to troubleshoot. Windows does not seem that way, not with 3.1, and not with 98 (I haven't had the pleasure of later issues).

Of course, now that X has arrived and it has a lot of arcane UNIX guts I'm a little nervous that all of my troubleshooting acumen (such that it was) is not useful anymore. But no matter. I'm staying now for the cool factor.

T

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 08:16 PM

my first mac was an apple IIgs, then i had a Powerbook 165, then my grandfather bought me a bondi blue iMac 233mhz Rev.A), i always liked macs and have readily defended the mac platform from ignorant pc users. When i was in high school, my art teacher (can u believe she uses windoze?!) almost persuaded me to switch to pc(saying applw was goin' down), but when the imac came out, i realized sumthin special was happenin, and i went for the mac once again, i'm glad i never switched over, the mac has provided me a wonderful computing experience w/ no seroius hassles or problems. i have 2 pc using friends, one doesn't get it, the other slightly understands, he's kinda gettin tired of windows, he says(98se his last msOS), now he experiments w/ linux. but anyway, but i get sentimental talking bout my macs

[This message has been edited by blackbird_1.0 (edited 05-22-2001).]
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2001, 08:22 PM

my family had lots if IBM compatible type computers growing up. we had windows 3.1, win 95, etc. in 95 or so i got a job at kinkos and was exposed to macs learning how to use pagemaker for some typesetting things. we had pagemaker on the winboxes too but i eventually just liked using the macs better. i couldnt really explain why to anyone who asked me and really cant explain why i like macs better today. but im on my second mac now at home (first was an ibook, now an imac) and right now i dont think ill ever go back.

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

derbs
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 08:27 PM

it's nice to see Apple has come full circle. For years apple kept all it's eggs in one basket (no clones or licensees etc). Now we have darwin which is open source, and can be recompiled for any platform going. Now it's Microsoft that's got all its eggs in the basket, Windows only runs on a crappy processor and the source is strictly guarded!

Makes me happy to see Apple doing so well, the next 5 years are going to be pretty interesting And I actually thought apple wouldn't make it back in 1996

bobette
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 08:30 PM

I played PONG on an Atari in the 70's: it sucked.

I had a Phillips PC with 512K RAM, no HD and DOS for 2000$: it sucked.

I had to work with a Synclavier music synthesis system with those huge 11 inch floppies and a prompt that just stared out at ya: it sucked.

Then I saw a Mac. It smiled at me, invited me to be creative, to communicate, to play. Like starting a car without getting out and cranking it up from the front. Like breathing without thinking. It was fun. It was stimulating. I wanted to learn more. It gave me a job, no, a PASSION. It changed my life.

And I can communicate that passion to newbies, like a nephew, or my Dad. And they get it, and they like it. And that makes for smiles and good times. And since life is so damn short, ya know...

be happy.
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

jeffhot
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 08:30 PM

To make a short story shorter:
1) I was a DOS/Windows 3.1/Windows 95 user for 4 years.
2) I used some Macs
3) I saw an iMac.

end of story.

Ham Sandwich
May 22, 2001, 09:20 PM

Grew up on the Sinclairs/Ataris/Amigas/Commodore. Back then, I always wanted a Mac (geeky kid I was, had a picture of the original Mac in my locker at school) but couldn't even dream of our family having enough money to afford one. Went to high school, "discovered" girls, drugs and music and left the computers by the wayside.

Flash forward a few years. Started working in the computer field and DOS. That progressed to Windows and it's flavors - a Mac never really crossed my mind.

Flash forward a few more years and I'm a Network Administrator for a Tier1 auto manufacturer. Day in and day out, dealing with Windows - enough to make a guy go crazy. I would deal with the crap all day long and deal with it some more on the Windows boxes at home. Too much stress!

I had had enough. I threw out the Windows machines at home and tried Linux. Ugh. We won't go there. In a last ditch effort at a home computer, I bought a new iMac 333. Now it's that machine, a DP G4 and a Pismo. And look! My stress at home has dropped dramatically!

-s'fit

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2001, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Yuri1419:
I hated the first mac I met. I thought it was a rude little jerk: "Insert this disk. Insert that disk. Insert this disk. Insert that disk". Bleah . . . I'd been an Atari user since 1982
Interesting, those are my humble beginnings as well. In the early 80's my dad, who certainly could not afford such luxuries at the time, brought home an Atari 800 and took me along to a couple of user group meetings in New Jersey. This was time and money well spent since I quickly learned BASIC and caught the computer bug that has lasted my lifetime. (Thanks, dad!)

In 1991 I met an old tired Mac on my first college internship, writing a comprehensive procedural operations guide. By the end of Summer, I was exhausted of "insert this, insert that" as well, but nonetheless developed my affinity for both the OS and the hardware.

I bought a new LC (running System 6.0.7) and StyleWriter the next semester that helped me produce stunning newsletters for my major's students and alumni. My faculty were amazed what this kid and his computer were able to put out. The LC was retired in the Spring of 1996, and sent to my folks' basement during what I will simply call "the unfortunate Gateway years".

After coming back into the fold with my Cube and MacNN last year, I wondered if the old LC was still sitting in the basement over in Jersey. A short roadtrip later, I dusted off the LC, fired it up for the first time in years, and it performed as if it was brand new . . . Just need to pick up a battery! (Come to think of it, that Atari is still kicking as well, now a retro gaming machine used by my young nieces.)

------------------
[email protected]
450 128 20 9.0.4 17 Radeon
------------------

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 09:36 PM

I used to be an "Apple hater" until I actually used some good ones. B&W G3s with 21" Apple monitors. I was so awed by the amazing looks, and how easy it was to open it up. And using the computers was amazing, the elegant OS and the speed of the systems. I've been hooked since. Now I've got an iMac DV, which is a great comptuer according to me.

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

posthumanus
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 10:08 PM

back in the late 80's when i first started writing, i had a habit of borrowing everyone's macs for weeks at a time.

they soon got sick of it and one christmas, with the whole extended family present, i opened up this huge wrapper to find a mac carry case: well, i was excited until i opened it and found a brick inside.

they all got years of mileage out of that little joke. the mac (a Classic II) arrived a week later and i've been using them ever since.

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 10:21 PM

The simplicity and sheer elegance.

I had every Apple that was produced then:

I bought a used Mac SE with 2 floppy drives (in Berkeley for $2500.00 and I added a used 20meg HD for $800.00 - WHEW!!!!). I was hooked.

Used that SE until 1994 then I got a Quadra 700.

Since 1998 I have had a B&W G3, three iMacs, a Lombard PB, a tangerine iBook, a G4 733 and a new iBook 500.

As I said - simplicity and SHEER ELEGANCE!!!!!!!

Karen

I also use a Newton 2100, which is the best PDA ever produced.

pathogen
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 10:39 PM

-Centris 660AV-

My dad had a PC 286 in his office which I used until 1992 with just DOS and a few programs. I wanted my own computer for university, and I wanted something that I could draw and do animation with and I very nearly bought a PC.

Then I saw a can in a computer store, Painter 2.0 (revolutionary!!!), and it was only for mac... so I started looking at Macs along with all the PC options. Weeks later, as soon as I saw the 660av which along with the 880av, was the first mac to come with its own video capture and output, Quicktime, speech recognition, etc... right out of the box... I was sold. It was twice as expensive as a PC, but did 10x as much. I wanted the tower but it was outside of my budget completely. In one day, I got my first computer, Painter, and Aldus Pagemaker - and believe me I was a newbie. I brought it all home, and just unpacking it, putting it all together on my desk, and installing those apps in such a dreamlike manner made me fall in love with Apple.

Since 1993, I've been anxious for anything Apple has to offer.

[This message has been edited by pathogen (edited 05-22-2001).]
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Apple_John
Forum Regular
May 22, 2001, 10:53 PM

Win 95 and up...

The Cube, love it.

DocWest
Senior User
May 22, 2001, 11:01 PM

When I was 6, our family got a Mac Plus.
So, quite simply: I am a mac person.

thirtyfootsmurf
May 22, 2001, 11:08 PM

I guess it was because i was born and raised on the Mac. My dad bought a 128k in the 80's (i was born in 86). According to my dad, whenever I heard the gong, I crawled into the room and could not keep my hands off of it....

The rest is history....

------------------
aim: I30footsmurfI
mail: [email protected]

-tfs

hayesk
May 22, 2001, 11:52 PM

My friend's Mac 512K. MacWrite and MacPaint got me hooked. I thought it was absolutely amazing. MacWrite documents looked the same on screen as they did coming out of an ImageWriter. Wow!

This was in 1988, I believe. Following that I had to get a Mac for myself. Over the years I've had...

- Mac Plus
- Mac LC
- PowerBook Duo 210 w/ Mini dock.
- PowerMac 6100av
- PowerMac 7200
- Beige PowerMac G3/233 (still have this one)
- iBook 466 (am typing on it now)
- Macquarium made from a Mac 128K shell - it has the signatures of the original Mac team etched inside. Right now my goldfish have passed away, so I'm considering replacing them with a siamese fighting fish.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 11:52 PM

I was a Mac Hater from birth, ontill i was living with my friend when i was 17. He had an OLD mac, and i used it to write a few paper and play starcraft, it opened my eyes. I was amazed by the simple OS, and the fact that i could play such a current game on such old hardware. So when i moved back home, i had to go back to windows 98, and it sucked. When i went to college, i need a computer, so i bought an iMac. A week later i resolved never to buy another brand again, and two months later i bought a G4. AHHH..memories memories...oh, I'm only 19!

Brandon

xandro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 12:52 AM

I worked at Motorola in Austin, where the 68000s and PowerPCs were/are made, so of course we used Macs from the very beginning. I used to waste hours playing with MacDraw and MacPaint on a Mac 512. I'm still using an old Motorola Mac clone (until I get my iBook in July!).

I suppose Windows works oK, but it just looks so tacky to me, as if it were designed in 1975 Bulgaria or something.

nastybrit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 01:09 AM

I love Macs for one simple reason...they're not PCs!!!! I've worked on both PCs and Macs, and there's no comparison. Setting them up is easy, the OS is easy to use and I see them break down less often than PCs.

Arty50
Mac Elite
May 23, 2001, 01:21 AM

After I graduated from my Commodore 64, I got a Mac Plus with an external floppy drive (Thank God!). That was ~12 years ago. My father's company was 90% Mac at the time thanks to one of his employees (they used some specialized PCs for some accounting). They even had a Lisa. Unfortunately, I think the dummies threw it out. It would be cool to still have that Lisa. Anyway, they were moving up to the Mac II range (si, fx, etc.), and so I got the Plus. I loved that thing. And I remember running terminal session chats and file transfers with my brothers over 1200 baud modems. Ah, memories.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Mac-arthur
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 01:26 AM

Well my love of apple in general dates back to jr high when I started to use the original apple II. I learned to program basic and joined one of the first High School computer clubs in the county at my High School.

The first summer I could legally get a job I was saving my money for a IIc while everyone else wanted to buy a car.

That IIc lasted my all through college and while I did get to use the labs Macs briefly I didn't fall in love with the mac til I got my first real job after college at a biotech firm.

We had 2 or 3 Macs and a scad of computers running windows 3x. I tried to use the PCs first (forgive me they were in my department) just using word for windows to edit a document, print it, then revise it twice cause it didn't come out right was frustrating enough to try the mac.

With the mac I was done quicker, didn't have to revise, and I had fun.
When it came time to buy a family computer to replace the olde IIC dinosaur it was a no brainer. I've owned a mac ever since. I also own a PC which I have nicknamed the "wintendo" cause I only turn it on to play games that don't make it to the mac !

"the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."

TheGreatButcher
Senior User
May 23, 2001, 01:33 AM

I was raised in the Apple II era, but in mid 90s I reluctantly made the transition to Mac only becuase Apple discontinued support/production of the Apple II series

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2001, 01:52 AM

Macs I've had...

IIe
Mac SE (20 Meg version)
Powerbook 170 (What a machine eh!?)
LC 575 (And my trash was finally in 3D)
Powerbook 1400c (cause the baggage handlers smashed the 170's screen)
Powermac G4 400 PCI (Still going strong)

Forum Links
Forum Rules