Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just saw Antitrust . . .

Just saw Antitrust . . .
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2001, 02:10 AM

Actually I saw it yesterday, but damn I love that movie! Its like my life's dream. I want to graduate from school as a genious programmer with a really really hot girlfriend and a really hot startup company, then take down microsoft, become rich and famous (but keep the hot girl). What do you think? I just bought the DVD off ebay. That reminds me, I gotta go pay for it now

brainloop
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 09:56 PM

I thought it was a bit borring.

There were just a lot of technical terms to make it look "cool"....

moyen-moins comme film, hein.

plaidpjs
Senior User
Jun 3, 2001, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
<STRONG>Actually I saw it yesterday, but damn I love that movie! Its like my life's dream. I want to graduate from school as a genious programmer with a really really hot girlfriend and a really hot startup company, then take down microsoft, become rich and famous (but keep the hot girl). What do you think? I just bought the DVD off ebay. That reminds me, I gotta go pay for it now </STRONG>
Well, I liked the movie, but it definitely lagged. but two things are striking about the depiction of. One, I don't think I've met or seen a male computer programmer who could replace Ryan Phillipe as the current Hollywood "it" boy, yet they miraculously seem o think he can be a programmer, or at least play one. Two, when is the last time you saw a programmer, a "brilliant" programmer, with a girlfriend as fine as Claire Forlani? Never! At least not in my experiences...

BTW, I hope that a beautiful girlfriend and a hot start-up company aren't the only things you took away from that movie!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2001, 12:20 AM

Well, it didn't get great reviews, so I never saw it. Speaking of reviews, did anyone else see this AP story?

As a film critic, David Manning had been a consistent booster for films from Sony Pictures. The trouble is, David Manning does not exist.Someone at Sony concocted blurbs for movie advertisements from the fictitious reviewer, a studio spokeswoman said today. The blurbs for "The Animal" and "A Knight's Tale" were discovered last week after the reviewer's authenticity was challenged by a reporter for Newsweek. The story appears on the magazine's Web site.The Manning blurb on "The Animal" called the movie "another winner." Another praised Heath Ledger of "A Knight's Tale" as "this year's hottest new star.""It was a case of incredibly bad judgment," said the Sony spokeswoman, Susan Tick. "We're taking all the steps necessary to determine who's been responsible and will act appropriately."In the ads, David Manning was identified as a reviewer for The Ridgefield Press, a weekly newspaper in Connecticut. Thomas B. Nash, publisher of The Press, said he and others at the newspaper noticed the advertisements about a year ago and at first thought they were a mistake."We're not angered by it," Mr. Nash said, adding that people in town would now probably "get a little kick out of it and talk about it at cocktail hour."
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2001, 12:22 AM

Well, it didn't get great reviews, so I never saw it. Speaking of reviews, did anyone else see this AP story?

As a film critic, David Manning had been a consistent booster for films from Sony Pictures. The trouble is, David Manning does not exist.Someone at Sony concocted blurbs for movie advertisements from the fictitious reviewer, a studio spokeswoman said today. The blurbs for "The Animal" and "A Knight's Tale" were discovered last week after the reviewer's authenticity was challenged by a reporter for Newsweek. The story appears on the magazine's Web site.The Manning blurb on "The Animal" called the movie "another winner." Another praised Heath Ledger of "A Knight's Tale" as "this year's hottest new star.""It was a case of incredibly bad judgment," said the Sony spokeswoman, Susan Tick. "We're taking all the steps necessary to determine who's been responsible and will act appropriately."In the ads, David Manning was identified as a reviewer for The Ridgefield Press, a weekly newspaper in Connecticut. Thomas B. Nash, publisher of The Press, said he and others at the newspaper noticed the advertisements about a year ago and at first thought they were a mistake."We're not angered by it," Mr. Nash said, adding that people in town would now probably "get a little kick out of it and talk about it at cocktail hour."
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

shanraghan
Senior User
Jun 4, 2001, 02:51 AM

I have never seen the movie, but just judging from its title it strikes me as a rehash, and from what little I've heard here, a popcultureization of what's been going on with Microsoft. In short, just something to appeal to the crowds a make a little cash. Am I right here or am I all wet? And could somebody give a somewhat more comprehensive synopsis? (Sorry to those of you who have not seen it but actually want to do so.)
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Forum Links
Forum Rules