Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar - no network after sleep

Jaguar - no network after sleep
sshand
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 09:05 AM

I never had this problem in 10.1.x but since I installed 10.2, I lose my network connection after waking from sleep.

pre quicksilver G4 and dhcp.

When I go to view network settings, my IP address is no longer there.

Anybody help?

scottjn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2002, 11:58 PM

I've got the exact same problem. I'm with ATT broadband cable modem, but I don't the isp is the issue. I've tried reinstalling 10.2 both as a new system with and without copying previous settings. Neither worked. I did notice that if you wake your computer from sleep and keep it on for a while it eventually does get the ip address, but it probably take 20 minutes. This kinda sucks, as I don't want to have to reinstall 10.1.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2002, 12:06 AM

hmm....i recall this being an issue with 10.1.x but i thought it was fixed in 10.1.5 and of course 10.2

when i had the problem (only sometimes...was very inconsistent) i got an i.p. again by creating a new location with no network, switching to that one, then switching back to my dhcp one...always got an i.p. in seconds.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 01:20 AM

I can't offer a solution, but I wanted to confirm that I get this problem too, but only sporadically. Again, it's a cable modem and, for some reason, a wake from sleep will sometimes result in not being able to connect. A reboot always fixes the problem, although I'd love to be able to avoid having to do that. Switching network settings sounds like a good idea.

bpaulsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by HorseyBoy:
I can't offer a solution, but I wanted to confirm that I get this problem too, but only sporadically. Again, it's a cable modem and, for some reason, a wake from sleep will sometimes result in not being able to connect. A reboot always fixes the problem, although I'd love to be able to avoid having to do that. Switching network settings sounds like a good idea.
Same here, and exact same solution. I have a server running that runs DHCP that I call thor. It has an IP address of 192.168.0.4. What's interesting is that when I have network problems, I see the following:

I can do "nslookup thor" and I get back 192.168.0.4

I then do "ping thor" and I get the IP address that my cable provider has assigned me.

I have another machine called zeus. If I do "nslookup zeus", I get back 192.168.0.3. If I do "ping zeus", I get back "unknown host".

Clearly, something got broke on 10.2. I'm hoping 10.2.1 fixes it because it's getting quite annoying.

Subzero Diesel949
Sep 2, 2002, 02:12 AM

Hmmm, no problems over here on a T1. Knock on wood...

iBook 600 Combo
Jaguar

sshand  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 06:35 AM

I've managed to solve my problem in bizarre way. Normally I do not have any entries in the DNS settings. My router sorts this out for me. However if I include a couple of DNS entries, in the network preferences pane, I can connect to to network after sleep. Mmm..

bpaulsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by sshand:
I've managed to solve my problem in bizarre way. Normally I do not have any entries in the DNS settings. My router sorts this out for me. However if I include a couple of DNS entries, in the network preferences pane, I can connect to to network after sleep. Mmm..
Here's what I found. On my home dhcp server, I list three servers for DNS. The first one is my home one and that handles the network names for my home machines. The other two are the DNS servers provided by my ISP. The idea was that if my home machine was down, my other machines would still be able to access the internet.

Jaguar, for some unknown reason, is deciding to use the other two DNS servers for some apps and not for others. I believe that this is a bug as my understanding is that the DNS servers are supposed to be tried in order.

Anyways, taking out the other two servers has solved a LOT of problems.

sshand  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2002, 04:59 PM

mmm.. after thinking that my problem had been solved ( re: DNS, see above ), I just came in and started from sleep and, yup you guessed it, no network. I'm beginning to get pretty pi**ed off about this. It's not like it was a cheap upgrade. No response from Apple so far about this.
what is a signature anyway?

Forum Links
Forum Rules