Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MS Word and 10.2: Text Artifacts, very annoying

MS Word and 10.2: Text Artifacts, very annoying
HorseyBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2002, 08:16 PM

Hi all,
I posted this earlier in the General OSX discussion forum, but didn't get any replies. Since then, I've done a clean install of both 10.2 and Office X (removed everything first, etc, etc, then updated to SR1) and the problem still persists.
Basically, if I delete text from a line and the line is then forced up, an artifact of the text is left behind, like the top few pixels of the old characters. If I keep typing away the new characters will make the artifact characters disappear, thus solving the problem until I need to delete text and it happens all over again. If I hide the app then show it again, the artifacts are gone.
This happens with or without "Quartz text smoothing" enabled.
I'm wondering if anybody else is seeing this problem and if anyone has any suggested solutions. Also wondering if this has anything to do with Quartz Extreme (I've got the right hardware) or window compression, which I enabled in 10.1, but forgot to "factory reset" before I upgraded. If I delete the com.apple.windowserver.plist file (~/Library/Preferences), will it reset itself? Would this have anything to do with it anyway? Questions, questions, questions.
HorseyBoy

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2002, 11:20 PM

I am seeing the same artifacts too with Word for X (+SR1) and 10.2. The same problems are appearing with PowerPoint for X as well.
Have not found any way to solve it other than temporarily by page up and page down.

HorseyBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2002, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, Rocky. Glad to know it's not just me. I wonder what's going on.
Weirdly enough, if you try to take a screenshot of the artifacts with command-shift-4, as soon as you drag over the area to shoot, the artifacts disappear.
HorseyBoy
( Last edited by HorseyBoy; Sep 7, 2002 at 12:26 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules