Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti Powerbook or new AL Powerbook?

Ti Powerbook or new AL Powerbook?
hostvisions
Jan 15, 2004, 09:55 PM

Hi all,

I have a chance to buy a new Ti 1ghz Powerbook w/superdrive and 512MB RAM from a local retail who has one left over. He wants 1750.00 for it. Only problem is, no Panther update. I can buy a refurb 1.25 AL powerbook from Apple's site for 2199 with panther.

Which is the better buy? Thanks for your opinions.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 11:05 PM

check out the refurbished pricing section at

http://www.macprices.com

I really like the tibooks, they seem to have fewer problems than the new powerbooks.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 15, 2004, 11:32 PM

I have a TiBook, and it's fine.

If you got Panther's update free (or $20), then that would be a good price, but if you have to pay for Panther then I'd go for the AluBook.

Faster speed, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, etc.

-Q-
Jan 15, 2004, 11:43 PM

In comparing the two merely on looks, I really think the TiBook looks better than the AlBook. But if you're planning on keeping this laptop for a few years, I'd recommend getting the AlBook.

Minty Fresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
In comparing the two merely on looks, I really think the TiBook looks better than the AlBook. But if you're planning on keeping this laptop for a few years, I'd recommend getting the AlBook.
^^^agreed^^^

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2004, 01:16 AM

Well, if you ever get a Bluetooth phone, you'll like the built-in Bluetooth. Like I said, my TiBook is fine, but I dislike carrying around the $40 Bluetooth dongle - very small, easy to lose, and it sticks out the back.

But yeah, I like the look of the TiBook better. I also like the covered rear ports.

Dr.Michael
Jan 16, 2004, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by hostvisions:
Hi all,

I have a chance to buy a new Ti 1ghz Powerbook w/superdrive and 512MB RAM from a local retail who has one left over. He wants 1750.00 for it. Only problem is, no Panther update. I can buy a refurb 1.25 AL powerbook from Apple's site for 2199 with panther.

Which is the better buy? Thanks for your opinions.
Hi,

I upgraded from a TiBook 500MHz to a Rev B 12 inch AlBook. So I had a Rev A Tibook. It had bad problems with the dvd drive. The drive broke down right after the end of my warranty. A new drive was 400 Euro/$. The new one lasted 6 months.

And now we all read about the problems with the new Rev A AlBooks. White Spots on the 15 inch Powerbook, excessive heat and case warping on the 12 inch modells.

I had a Pismo before and parallel to the Tibook. The Pismo was the last Rev of its line. This was by far the best Powerbook I have ever used.

So, my advice: Keep your fingers away from Rev A Powerbooks, if you want to avoid trouble and high costs!!!!!
I waited for the Rev B AlBook and this is a great machine (not without faults but faults you can easily live with).

The TiBook has its problems, mainly with the paint. But the 1GHz TiBook is surely the best of its line (the 887 MHz runs cooler). So if you buy a good neopren bag and handle it with care you will get great value for your money. This is doubtfully if you choose the AlBook.

And, step back a little: The TiBook looks far more interesting than the AlBooks.

Check reviews of the 1 GHz TiBook and see yourself.

hostvisions  (op)
Jan 16, 2004, 10:10 AM

Thanks all, keep the comments coming, as I need to make a decision today. I now know that I can upgrade to Panther for $20, now it's just a matter of deciding to go the Ti vs Al route.

Thanks,

selowitch
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
But yeah, I like the look of the TiBook better. I also like the covered rear ports.
I wonder if someone might make a clip-on cover for the rear ports expressly for travel?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 12:44 PM

Thanks all, keep the comments coming, as I need to make a decision today. I now know that I can upgrade to Panther for $20, now it's just a matter of deciding to go the Ti vs Al route.

Thanks,
$1770 is a pretty sweet deal for a Pantherized TiBook SuperDrive. I'd go that route, and buy AppleCare on top of that.

By the way, you should probably be able to get iLife '04 cheap too, but I dunno for sure.

gbarill
Jan 16, 2004, 05:42 PM

^^^
i agree. i really like the tibook more than the albook (course i'm biased, i HAVE one) based on it's looks, and the port cover is awesome, i think, for keeping dust out of the ports

the hinge seems to be a little more sturdy on the albook, but i mean, if you're careful you're not gonna drop your powerbook, and the albook will still sustain damage if you drop it, so i don't really agree that the hinge is a good selling point.

i'd say go for the tibook, seems like a better value for a computer i think is better designed (i mean, who else can say they have a computer built out of TITANIUM. the coolness factor alone...)

hostvisions  (op)
Jan 18, 2004, 09:12 AM

Hi All,
Well, after contacting Apple I found that this TiBook would not be eligible for ANY warranty due to the fact that it was manufacturered in Nov 2002. They told me I can't even buy applecare for it. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm not about to buy a PB without a warranty. So I guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a new or refurb.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2004, 07:56 PM

Hi All,
Well, after contacting Apple I found that this TiBook would not be eligible for ANY warranty due to the fact that it was manufacturered in Nov 2002. They told me I can't even buy applecare for it. I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm not about to buy a PB without a warranty. So I guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a new or refurb.
Try calling again. That sound totally bogus, to not be able to get ANY warranty for a new boxed TiBook.

I suspect they'll honour the 1 year warranty. The extra 3-years of AppleCare is another story though.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2004, 08:40 PM

That's not a bad price for a TiBook, but if you can afford it, go for the AlBook. The screen problems have been fixed, I don't think the heat is excessive at all (I have a 1.25 GHz AlBook), and in my opinion, the AlBook has the TiBook beat hands down in the looks department.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Tantrum
Jan 18, 2004, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
Hi,

I upgraded from a TiBook 500MHz to a Rev B 12 inch AlBook. So I had a Rev A Tibook. It had bad problems with the dvd drive. The drive broke down right after the end of my warranty. A new drive was 400 Euro/$. The new one lasted 6 months.

And now we all read about the problems with the new Rev A AlBooks. White Spots on the 15 inch Powerbook, excessive heat and case warping on the 12 inch modells.

I had a Pismo before and parallel to the Tibook. The Pismo was the last Rev of its line. This was by far the best Powerbook I have ever used.

So, my advice: Keep your fingers away from Rev A Powerbooks, if you want to avoid trouble and high costs!!!!!
I waited for the Rev B AlBook and this is a great machine (not without faults but faults you can easily live with).

The TiBook has its problems, mainly with the paint. But the 1GHz TiBook is surely the best of its line (the 887 MHz runs cooler). So if you buy a good neopren bag and handle it with care you will get great value for your money. This is doubtfully if you choose the AlBook.

And, step back a little: The TiBook looks far more interesting than the AlBooks.

Check reviews of the 1 GHz TiBook and see yourself.
I have a rev A 15in Al and i only had a pinpoint whitespot...where as my BF has a 15in Rev B Ti 1GHz, and his has a crap load of huge white spots. Oh and his is missing one feet, and i still have all mine... , lol
Powerbook Al 15"/1.25 GHZ/60 GB/512 MB/Airport/Bluetooth/Combo w/ 10.3
iPod 20 GB

hostvisions  (op)
Jan 19, 2004, 10:17 AM

Thanks again all. I don't know if the person at Apple misunderstood me or what, but I did call them again yesterday and the person I spoke to said the warranty will be one year from date of purchase, as well as applecare-eligible, so I'm off to pick this up this afternoon!

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 10:31 AM

I have a 1Ghz 15" TiBook and it has been flawless. Everything works and I have never had a single problem with it, hardware or software related.

I would only consider a new AlBook for the following reasons:

- built-in Bluetooth > USB BT dongle occupies a valuable USB port that could be used for something else.

- ports on the side > reaching to the back to plug/remove USB disks, cable etc. can get really annoying.

- FW800, if you use FW800 ... I don't have any use for FW800 right now and wont for some time still.

- AlBooks are marginally faster, but not enough for me to give a ... .

Otherwise a TiBook will serve you just as well as an AlBook, since there is very little difference otherwise. RevA AlBooks have demonstrated some nasty problems, but all of those shoould be solved by now (I hope).
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2004, 11:08 AM

I'll second the above. The TiBook is a proven warrior. I'm going on a year of flawless performance. I haven't missed the bluetooth or the fw 800. The ports on the back are more convenient for me since I have a rather cramped desk. I hardly need to lower the screen to change usb devices anymore.

But really, it's the best computer I've ever bought.

pete
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 03:33 PM

I'd have to say go with the tibook too. That is if you need a computer RIGHT NOW. The last iteration of the tibook is simply superb. The only problem has been the paint, but the last generation has been less prone to flaking paint than previous ones.

Panther on my tibook 1ghz is simply amazing!

Go for a powerbook with a proven record and when the albook gets to its final incarnation, go get one of those! It takes time to refine products over at Apple - buy at the end of a product cycle and you'll get the best computers.

Good luck

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2004, 12:25 AM

The revA PB17 machines are terrific.

I found the TiPB to be a big step DOWN in everything but raw processor speed over my old Pismo in the long run. [It was lighter and smaller, which was granted very nice, but that's not really different between the TiPB and AlPBs].

If you EVER want decent wifi, you're going to need an external antenna on the TiPB. I know, I wrestled with this problem for a year before just giving up on connecting to an Airport hub in the next room. My ALPB and Pismo worked fine with the same hub.

And the ALPBs keyboards are superb.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 04:44 AM

I have both a Ti 500Mhz and Al 1Ghz, have some compare pictures here.

http://www.chadhoc.com/Powerbooks.html

Here's an piece of a compare review I wrote between the two.

My review is based on comparing it to my TiBook 500Mhz w/512 MB Ram. Both still have Jaguar 10.2.7, going to install Panther and transfer all my data this weekend.

Design � Aesthetically it�s a thing of beauty, feels much more solid than my TiBook. I do notice the size, weight and thickness difference and looking back almost 3 years, even compared to other laptops today the TiBook is a design marvel in itself.

Screen � After replacement the AlBook screen is much brigher but due to the hinge and frame design it doesn�t look as expansive as my TiBook. Just an optical illusion of sorts even with the increased resolutions it looks smaller.

Keyboard � Difference between running in sand and on a rubberized track. The new keyboard is incredible. I�ve read folks who haven�t discovered the usefulness of the backlit keyboard but I enjoy it�s functional every day. In the evening, kicking back in the TV room, we have dim ambient lighting and the feature really is useful. I�m currently in Milan but will be moving back to Seattle. I�m guessing on rainy afternoons, it will be dark enough to kick on there too. Lastly on flights while folks are sleeping, I won�t have to disturb them with the overhead light. The only complaint is the half-sized arrow keys are wobbly and well, half-sized. While not on the move I�ll be using a ABTKB.

DVD vs SuperDrive � Soundwise there�s no audible difference. The AlBook is a bit noisier on inserts. On ejects I prefer my old TiBook, the CD comes out farther and doesn�t have and vertical play in it, the superdrive you have to use more caution when pulling it the rest of the way out. I burned America�s Army 2.0 (658MB) on CD. It took 6 minutes to copy and about 10 minutes to burn and verify.

Sound � I did a side-by-side playing Tool�s Aenima with a 5 second delay, starting the AlBook first then the TiBook (did a video with my Elph). The AlBook has much better depth and volume range from off to full is much �wider�. I welcome the audio in so I can dabble with some track recording.

Speed � No benchmarks but my AlBook feels twice as fast, for compilation, encoding, unzipping, app launching, and iMovie imports. I haven�t got to extensively use the AlBook cause I haven�t installed much of my apps. This weekend I�ll be installing Panther and copying all my old data so I didn�t bother installing �the works�.

Fan � It�s more quiet on the AlBook and turns on a little less frequently than my TiBook.

Gaming � Granted my TiBook only has 8MB VRAM, I still played EQMac on it while waiting for my AlBook. Only MoBs and characters had textures, ugly but playable. On the AlBook, I have everything maxed and 50% clip plane depth, very smooth and beautiful. I also played the Tony Hawk demo and America�s Army both run very well.
Haven�t tried to hook it up to my CRT yet but will soon. Gaming on a LCD make my eyes tired after a few hours.

The latest Tis and new Als are both sweet systems, tough choice esp if bargain hunting, I chose the AL in the end.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Forum Links
Forum Rules