Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > How to run boinc with multiple projects

How to run boinc with multiple projects
mikkyo
Senior User
Jul 9, 2004, 06:38 PM

So you got boinc and want to run with with multiple projects (seti, predictor, astropulse ,etc) so your machines keep crunching when work isn't available on your favorite project. Here is how:

Set up accounts with whatever projects you want to run.
For seti, go here:
Existing seti classic users - http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_email_form.php
New seti users or folks without access to their old account -
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/create_account_form.php

For Predictor go here:
http://predictor.scripps.edu/create_account_form.php

Once you get your emails with your account ids(account number so large you could never remember), you can run boinc.

Grab our local mac happy version of bonic that meets your OS and CPU requirements from here:
http://members.dslextreme.com/~reade...eam/boinc.html

If on 10.2.8 and going to run seti, get the client and seti worker version. If on 10.3 you only need the client, unless you are lucky enough to have a G5 and want to run Seti, then grab the G5 client and seti worker version.

The client and seti worker versions expand in to pre-setup directories.
If you get just a plain client, you will need to set them up.

I suggest you make a directory named Boinc and stick the expanded client inside it.
Then launch Terminal (in Applications/Utilities), and type
cd
Leave a space after it, and drag your Boinc folder from the Finder to the Terminal window.
The command will now look something like this, depending on where your Boinc folder is:
cd /Users/yourname/Desktop/Boinc
Smack return and you are in the proper directory.
You can confirm this with the command
ls
and hitting return which will list everything in your current directory, and so you should see your boinc client.

Sometimes the boinc client itself isn't executable after downloading or expanding.
To fix that, simply do
chmod a+rx ./boinc_3.1.9_powerpc-apple-darwin
The command 'chmod' means change mode, 'a' means all users, '+' mean add these abilities, 'rx' means Read and eXecute (read is required to execute), './' means current directory, and then the 'name' of the file you want to alter.
If your boinc client is named something else, you should type that or just hit the first three letters and then press the Tab Key to auto-complete.
chmod a+rx ./boi
hit Tab and get
chmod a+rx ./boinc10.2.8
(if your client were named that)

If you have multiple machines to setup, make a Duplicate of the Boinc directory in the Finder now (highlite the Boinc directory and hit Command D in the Finder).

Once your client is executable, you can run it in Terminal by just doing
./boinc_3.1.9_powerpc-apple-darwin
and hitting return (use the name of your client obviously).

You will then be prompted for the URL of the project and your account id.
Both of these are available in the email you receive from each project, just copy and paste.
After you input these, a benchmark test will run and then the client will download some work.
Yay, you are up and running!

So now you want to add a second project, here's how:
Kill your current client by hitting control C in the Terminal window where it is running. It will say it received a signal and then give you back your prompt.
Type
./boinc_3.1.9_powerpc-apple-darwin -attach_project
and you will be prompted for the URL and user ID of your next project.
Once inputted, boinc will start working again and you are good to go.

A bit of a pain, but once set up you are set.

But wait, what if I have multiple machines, or a farm of 100? I don't want to go through that on each one.

Well you don't need too.
Take your initial boinc setup with just the directory and client(the duplicate you made above, or the pre-setup Seti version directory and client) and stick it on another machine.
You just need to copy over a couple of files to be able to just start up and go.

In your working Boinc directory, you will have account files for all your accounts, you just need to copy those into your new Boinc directory on the other machines.
For seti and predictor( the only currently running boinc projects) you just need these 2 files:
account_predictor.scripps.edu.xml
account_setiathome.berkeley.edu.xml

Just copy them into your Boinc Copy directory, or the other machines. If you get your Boinc Copy directory ready to go, can then distribute it to all your machines.
Then just launch the client as above on all your machines and you are up and crunching.

To see the projects set up for a given boinc install you can do
./boinc_3.1.9_powerpc-apple-darwin -show_projects

How to control the project priority:
To control the amount of time spent on your projects, visit your user page for any of the boinc projects and Click on the Preference for the project you want to modify.
You can set one project to a number like 90 and another to 10 if you want to split your time between the projects 90% for one and 10% for the other.
This is good especially for Seti Users that might want 99% Seti but 1% Predictor for when no Seti work is available.

Once you have your clients running for a few days your stats will start to show up and be awarded. Don't worry about your scores until at least 3 days have passed since it takes awhile for the points to get credited and your average to build up.

I hope those of you using Boinc for Seti will at least add a Predictor project to your setups crunching for TeamMacNN for those times (and there will be many) when no seti work is available.

Enjoy.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 08:04 PM

Wow mikkyo. Excellent explanation. I even learned some stuff.

And for those who are afraid of command lines, it is not as bad as it sounds. Even I learned how to do it, and I really don't like command lines. But once up and running it is a piece of cake.

xandor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 08:21 AM

When I ctrl-c it logs out and I can't enter any more commands. I think I found a workaround:

Open a new terminal window, change to BOINC directory (as above).
Type in "./boinc_3.20_powerpc-apple-darwin -attach_project" (without quotes, of course!)

I know, it's probably obvious, but I don't know anything about cli, so I was stuck for a bit!

xandor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 08:31 AM

OK...

I don't know how I set it up wrong with SETI@home, but after I did that last step (see previous post) for predictor@home, I had to repeat, but used the ctrl-c (which now worked), and added my SETI account.

I think when I downloaded the optimized client, it used my old seti prefs at root folder, which were reset to predictor prefs in BOINC folder. I then had to create new seti prefs.

Anyway, my client is now working and shows two project folders in the BOINC folder and is no longer adding all those files to my root folder.

xplatform
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2004, 02:51 PM

Just a vote to keep those 10.2.8 compiles coming - am eagerly awaiting BOINC 3.20 for 10.2.8.

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2004, 09:33 PM

I made a 10.2.8 boinc 3.20 client.
Once reader50 puts it up, you can just drop the new client in your Seti/Predictor directory and run it instead of the 3.19 version.

You want to update to 10.3 though due to the optimizations.
Here is the proof.
Same machine under 10.2.8 and 10.3.4 with Boinc 3.20
933Mhz G4 256Mb RAM
2004-07-19 15:53:10 [---] Benchmark results:
2004-07-19 15:53:10 [---] Number of CPUs: 1
2004-07-19 15:53:10 [---] 680 double precision MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
2004-07-19 15:53:10 [---] 1401 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
2004-07-19 15:53:10 [---] Finished CPU benchmarks

2004-07-19 18:30:59 [---] Benchmark results:
2004-07-19 18:30:59 [---] Number of CPUs: 1
2004-07-19 18:30:59 [---] 1297 double precision MIPS (Whetstone) per CPU
2004-07-19 18:30:59 [---] 1684 integer MIPS (Dhrystone) per CPU
2004-07-19 18:30:59 [---] Finished CPU benchmarks

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 03:06 AM

The 10.2.8 Boinc Client is up.
Team MacNN Boinc Clients

Capt Shane
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2004, 07:35 PM

how can i make a start up script to do all this on start up so i don't have to every time :-)
-Shane

Go Army!

Signal Corps the Voice of Command!

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
Aug 2, 2004, 05:43 AM

make a plain text file in Text Edit that has only one line in it
@reboot cd /Users/you/boincdirectory; /usr/bin/nohup ./boinc_3.20_powerpc_apple_darwin &

Where you is your user name and boincdirectory is whatever your boinc directory is called.
Save the file as BoincTab in your boinc directory.
Then In Terminal cd into your boinc directory just like when you would start the client, only do
crontab BoincTab
This will set cron to use the tab file you made and run boinc at boot.
Now reboot and it will start or start it manually in the background with the same command you put in the BoincTab file:
/usr/bin/nohup ./boinc_3.20_powerpc_apple_darwin &

When running in the background, you need to do something special to stop it.
This command will stop boinc
killall boinc_3.20_powerpc_apple_darwin

If you don't like typing all that you can change the name of the boinc client to just bonic or boinc_3.20 and change your crontab to use that name too.
( Last edited by mikkyo; Aug 2, 2004 at 05:49 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules