Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New to Apple, Need general tips/hints

New to Apple, Need general tips/hints
rastatero
Jul 23, 2004, 10:08 PM

I just brought home my new 12" iBook. It's still in the box, I think I'll begin to tackle everything tomorrow morning. I was just wondering if there was some simple settings I should take a look at right off the bat. Does anyone have some common settings or adjustments that they usually make to Mac OS X because I have been using Windows for the last ten years and everytime I reinstall I always delete some miscellaneous files and change some common settings whether they are visual or performance.

Also do you guys have any general recommendations on some programs to take a look at or download? I'm a student and I already have access to Microsoft OSX 2004 and Adobe Creative Suite, but is there anything else I should take a look at? I already know I'm probably getting Firefox, but that's all and shows how little I know.

LET ME KNOW!! I'm so excited.

-- Tony

Dex13
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 10:25 PM

go to the software forum and there is a sticky on this subject , two to be exact ...

Number 1

Number 2

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 10:27 PM

Wow. You are showing very good self-control for a youngster (I assume you are young because of the student comment).

Others will undoubtebly have suggestions as to software, settings, etc. but I would just crack open that box and start playing.

Welcome to the Mac community. You are in for a treat.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by rastatero:
I just brought home my new 12" iBook. It's still in the box, I think I'll begin to tackle everything tomorrow morning. I was just wondering if there was some simple settings I should take a look at right off the bat. Does anyone have some common settings or adjustments that they usually make to Mac OS X because I have been using Windows for the last ten years and everytime I reinstall I always delete some miscellaneous files and change some common settings whether they are visual or performance.

Also do you guys have any general recommendations on some programs to take a look at or download? I'm a student and I already have access to Microsoft OSX 2004 and Adobe Creative Suite, but is there anything else I should take a look at? I already know I'm probably getting Firefox, but that's all and shows how little I know.

-- Tony
I checked both those links, neither mentioned Quicksilver. I just put it on a few days ago and I don't see how I could use a computer without it.

http://blacktree.com/apps/quicksilver/

Since you've used to having a start menu, you'll probably find it annoying that you have to open a finder window and go to the applications folder, something that's bothered me since os 9. Quicksilver lets you open any app without taking your hands off the keyboard. Honestly the mose amazing addition to my computer I've had in a long time.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 01:05 AM

-- Tony
What do do at school? is the computer for fun, or work?
The OS works fine straight out of the box, just make sure you run software update.. (under the apple menu).

.mac has some good training stuff and great features if you afford it.

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
[B]Since you've used to having a start menu, you'll probably find it annoying that you have to open a finder window and go to the applications folder, something that's bothered me since os 9. /B]
Why not (1) drag your favourite application to the Dock;
(2) Drag the Applications folder to the Dock?

That strikes me as the easiest way for a newcomer to get to grips with things. You certainly don't have to open a Finder window to launch an application.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Mr Heliums:
Why not (1) drag your favourite application to the Dock;
(2) Drag the Applications folder to the Dock?

That strikes me as the easiest way for a newcomer to get to grips with things. You certainly don't have to open a Finder window to launch an application.
I guess when I have 100+ apps I might be the exception and not the norm.

rastatero  (op)
Jul 25, 2004, 10:58 AM

I am mostly using it for school related stuff so Office seems like enough.

A few quick questions though, how do I uninstall programs in OS X? Such as the Tony Hawk 4 and Quicken 2004. Do I just draw it to the trash bin?

And also, I am trying to su root in terminal and I do not know the root passwd? What is the default?

I tried to do passwd root, it asks me for my normal user account's password and to type in the new password...I did this but it says Sorry...? Help?

How do i add System Preferences to the dock? there's seems to be no way to drag it there.

I installed some applications for the "current user", How do I change it so any user can run these programs?

-- Tony
( Last edited by rastatero; Jul 25, 2004 at 12:29 PM. )

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 01:10 PM

Here's a suggestion: manually calibrate your display. The default settings make the display look washed out.

rastatero  (op)
Jul 25, 2004, 02:22 PM

Wow, taking the time to manually calibrate the display myself really makes a huge difference. Thanks for the excellent tip. -- Tony

rastatero  (op)
Jul 25, 2004, 02:25 PM

Wow, taking the time to manually calibrate the display myself really makes a huge difference. Thanks for the excellent tip. -- Tony

P.S. How do I delete some of the calibrations I messed up on? And, anyone have any idea on the questions I posed above?

EDIT: Crap sorry for the double post.
( Last edited by rastatero; Jul 25, 2004 at 02:33 PM. )

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 02:35 PM

A few quick questions though, how do I uninstall programs in OS X? Such as the Tony Hawk 4 and Quicken 2004. Do I just draw it to the trash bin?
Some programs include an uninstaller. Others have a related install log listing what has been installed on your computer and where.

You can usually drag a program to the trash and delete it, but you might not get all the related preference files and whatnot.

How do i add System Preferences to the dock? there's seems to be no way to drag it there.
Drag the System Preferences icon from the Applications folder to the dock. If System Preferences is already open, right click on its dock icon and select "Keep In Dock."

I installed some applications for the "current user", How do I change it so any user can run these programs?
I suggest that you install most programs as root from now on (unless it's for beta software). You can restrict access to programs when you create new accounts.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 02:41 PM

How do I delete some of the calibrations I messed up on? And, anyone have any idea on the questions I posed above?
Look in Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2004, 02:42 PM

Generally, yes.

And also, I am trying to su root in terminal and I do not know the root passwd? What is the default?

I tried to do passwd root, it asks me for my normal user account's password and to type in the new password...I did this but it says Sorry...? Help?
Root is not enabled at all by default. "sudo" works, however.

Check out these instructions from macosxhints on enabling superuser.
Adding individual system prefs does not work, AFAIK. However, PrefsMenu will put a list in the menu bar.

If they're in /Applications, any user can access them.

If they're not in /Applications, what apps are you talking about?

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
I suggest that you install most programs as root from now on (unless it's for beta software). You can restrict access to programs when you create new accounts.
I strongly suggest you ignore this advice.

Do not do ANYTHING as root that doesn't absolutely require it.

Installing applications as the main (admin) user is plenty enough.

-s*

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 02:48 PM

If you have a Bluetooth receiver and phone, then I strongly suggest that you take a look at Salling Clicker and Romeo. Big WOW factor.

Also, if you have access to a Win XP Pro computer, you can download Microsoft's RDC client and remotely control the Win XP computer from anywhere in the world via your Mac (how well this works depends on network setup and speed):

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...nosysreq=False

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Installing applications as the main (admin) user is plenty enough.
Spheric's right. I meant Admin.

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Root is not enabled at all by default. "sudo" works, however.

Check out these instructions from macosxhints on enabling superuser.
I'm sure SH knows this, but I'll add it just for clarity.

There are very, very few reasons why you need to enable the root account on OS X. If you need root-like capabilities at a shell, use 'sudo -s'.

This will give you the equivalent of a root shell, without having to mess around with enabling the root account via netinfo etc.

rastatero  (op)
Jul 25, 2004, 03:09 PM

Thanks for everyone's help.

Spheric Harlot: Here are some programs that I installed and are not in my Applications folder: Shapeshifter, Cleardock, Synergy, and MenuMeters. To be perfectly honest with you, I actually have no idea where these are installed. How embarrasing...

Thanks again for the responses. Everything is greatly appreciated.

-- Tony

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2004, 03:22 PM

For trouble free OSX computing, I recommend these simple steps and applications ..

They pose no threat to your system in any way ..

As a rule of thumb ... After any update .. Repair permissions: Close all files and applications on the disk you want to repair. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and double click it. Then select your hard drive in the left panel and First Aid at the top. Then click on "Repair Permissions." It will take a few minutes.

Use These Maintenance Tools ..

Macaroni .. Just Set It and Forget It!
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9633

Why should you have to remember to clean up your Mac every day, every week, and every month? Shouldn't a computer be able to remember for you?

Macaroni is a tool which handles regular maintenance for Mac OS X, including the Mac OS X repair permissions process (once a week), as well as Unix-style maintenance. Without Macaroni, some of these tasks normally run in the middle of the night, and don't get run unless you leave your Mac on all night. Others don't run automatically at all, and won't happen unless you remember when they're due.
Macaroni runs these maintenance tasks on a regular schedule, regardless of when your Mac is on. If a scheduled maintenance task is not run when it's normally scheduled, Macaroni automatically ensures that it's run at the next opportunity, whenever the Mac is on. Macaroni installs into your system preferences and you can configure and monitor it from there if need be. Otherwise, just "set it and forget it".

Once a month or so run this ...
Cache Out X
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9538

Cache Out X clears out the cache entries on your machine, helping you recover valuable disk space on your machine. Items removed include the caches in System, Users, and Library, along with the Internet Explorer download cache. Optionally clears the IE's history cache as well. Requires restart after completion.

If you can, buy a copy of Disk Warrior or TechTool 4 and keep it on hand.

Stay away from third party system hacks ( "haxies" ). Don't add extra fonts unless you have to.

For complete peace of mind buy Applecare before your first year of ownership runs out. It will pay for itself with one service issue .. plus the phone support is excellent as well ...

These steps should prevent 99% of the problems that users may run into.

Disclaimer .... the above is just my opinion based on my experiences and does not represent Macnn forums in any way

Happy Computing!
Tiger 10.4.8

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2004, 05:32 PM

Thanks for everyone's help.

Spheric Harlot: Here are some programs that I installed and are not in my Applications folder: Shapeshifter, Cleardock, Synergy, and MenuMeters. To be perfectly honest with you, I actually have no idea where these are installed. How embarrasing...
You can use the Search field in Finder windows to find stuff...

MenuMeters is a Preference Pane (since it shows up in System Preferences) and is installed in ~/Library/PreferencePanes/ (where "~" is the user's home folder) if it's just for one user, or /Library/PreferencePanes/ if it needs to be available to all users.

I'm not sure about the others.

but generally, resources available to all go in /Library, while resources for individual users go in ~/Library.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules