Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need External Monitor Reco for Rev A 12" PB

Need External Monitor Reco for Rev A 12" PB
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2005, 11:20 AM

Yeah, I know I don't have DVI. And I don't want to spend the $300 for a VGA>DVI converter box. So, what are my options? Would like a 19" or 20." Doable? Can the video card drive it? What options work best on analog? I use the monitor primarily for text. Thanks!

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 11:36 AM

Find a good deal on a 19" VGA LCD, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say any reasonably mainstream brand will impress you. It will definitely be brighter and more colorful than the laptop screen. I've always thought that for text and surfing and general use, the 1280x1024 resolution on a 19" screen is ideal. Text and GUI elements seem a little small with the same resolution on a 17" panel. I like the Dell UltraSharps, with their multiple inputs and very good-quality chipsets, although we have an inexpensive Planar that is also very easy on the eyes. The Dell 30-day guarantee is nice when you're looking at LCDs with the possibilities of dead pixels, although some people will say that they've had trouble with Dell service.

You're gonna get a kick out of any affordable 19" display, they have come to a point where they are all nice and colorful. I don't consider DVI vs. VGA to be a huge deal, although the DVI input takes care of timing and positioning for you. Your iBook makes that a moot point, so don't worry about it. A VGA to DVI converter would be a waste of money, as the analog signal is just that, analog (VGA). Off-axis color shifting, or 'viewing angle', is I think the most noticeable difference between price points. I don't know about you, but I sit in front of my monitor... *smiles*

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2005, 10:28 AM

Thanks MichiganRich. Actually had my eye on the 19" Dell UltaSharp 1905FP you wrote about. Then saw a sale for it yesterday for $368 no tax, free shipping! Definitely went for it.

--------------------------------------------------------
If anybody else is interested not sure if coupons still valid but here it is:

Dell Home cuts up to 25% off select Dell monitors via the coupon codes listed below. Shipping is free. These coupons are limited to the first 2,000 uses and expire February 24 at 7 am ET. Update: These coupons can be stacked with today's Electronics & Accessories store coupons for even greater savings

* The E153FP 15-inch LCD for $211.65 via coupon code "$F5?CFC5PLGD42"
* The UltraSharp 1505FP 15-inch LCD for $237.15 via coupon code "$F5?CFC5PLGD42"
* The UltraSharp 1704FPV 17-inch LCD for $279.20 via coupon code "HQCKNWZC04MJLG"
* The UltraSharp 1905FP 19-inch LCD for $368.20 via coupon codes "HQCKNWZC04MJLG" and "14?J2KVM?N8J21"
* The UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1-inch LCD for $506.75 via coupon codes "40F961WD2MTG0K" and "14?J2KVM?N8J21"
* The UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Widescreen LCD for $506.75 via coupon codes "40F961WD2MTG0K" and "14?J2KVM?N8J21"

Forum Links
Forum Rules