Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Use Mac formatted iPod with Windows

Use Mac formatted iPod with Windows
Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 08:19 AM

[Yes, I have done a search]

I am trying to sell an old 10Gb 2nd gen iPod; but the people who want to buy it are all clueless Windows users, who know very little about computers or iPods.

This iPod is mac formatted; if they take it home and connect it to their PCs, will it be recognised at all? I'm hoping the iPod utility will allow them to format it as FAT32 otherwise it'll just be an expensive paperweight that they've just bought

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 10, 2006, 08:47 AM

To use an iPod on a PC, the user must load the appropriate iPod driver software (which is included with iTunes). The software will detect that the iPod is not set up for a PC and offer to change it. No sweat-unless you're planning to "give" the purchaser your music collection, as changing format basically blanks the device.

So yes, your potential customers will be fine. They should download and install the latest iPod software before they connect the device to their computer, but that's the biggest issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
To use an iPod on a PC, the user must load the appropriate iPod driver software (which is included with iTunes). The software will detect that the iPod is not set up for a PC and offer to change it. No sweat-unless you're planning to "give" the purchaser your music collection, as changing format basically blanks the device.

So yes, your potential customers will be fine. They should download and install the latest iPod software before they connect the device to their computer, but that's the biggest issue.
Thanks; that's what I wanted to hear.

I never realised selling this iPod would be so tricky; I have had lots of interest, but most don't seem to understand that it's several generations behind the current crop or what Firewire is for that matter...

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2006, 09:13 PM

How much are you asking for it? Clued in Mac user with firewire...

Val

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 01:30 AM

See this is the beauty about macs. With PC's you can't use mac formatted ipods with then but with Mac's you can easily use a windows formatted ipod with your computer. I have had my mac for about a month and yesterday I went to ipod>about and it is still formatted with windows and I have never even noticed.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by ValVashon
How much are you asking for it? Clued in Mac user with firewire...

Val
I'm afraid being on different continents makes things a little difficult, but thank you for your interest

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Krjat
See this is the beauty about macs. With PC's you can't use mac formatted ipods with then but with Mac's you can easily use a windows formatted ipod with your computer. I have had my mac for about a month and yesterday I went to ipod>about and it is still formatted with windows and I have never even noticed.
Here's the problem with your setup: when you NEED to update the iPod's firmware, you'll NEED a PC to do it. That is the primary thing about "formatting" an iPod; what platform you MUST use to update its firmware.

And before anyone else says it, an iPod is NOT a Mac. It's an iPod.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules