Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rev A MPBs It's eBay Time: Merom in August

Rev A MPBs It's eBay Time: Merom in August
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2006, 05:07 PM

"Intel today will introduce a single brand name for its next generation notebook and desktop chips. Formally dubbed Merom and Conroe (respectively), the new chips, built around the company's Core architecture, will likely be used in Apple's professional line of laptops and other desktops by the end of the year. The Conroe and Merom chips will both be called "Core 2 Duo" when they launch-- 'Conroe' for desktops in July and 'Merom' for laptops in August."

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2006, 05:51 PM

The July launch of Conroe and August launch of Merom has been official for a few weeks now.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kenstee
"Intel today will introduce a single brand name for its next generation notebook and desktop chips. Formally dubbed Merom and Conroe (respectively), the new chips, built around the company's Core architecture, will likely be used in Apple's professional line of laptops and other desktops by the end of the year. The Conroe and Merom chips will both be called "Core 2 Duo" when they launch-- 'Conroe' for desktops in July and 'Merom' for laptops in August."
Sounds great, but a processor jump along won't motivate me enough to sell. The current core duo runs things fast enough for me. Maybe if they add more goodies like a new case design, upgraded superdrive, more ram, less heat and a screen that tilts back further-- then perhaps. I have to admit I sold a PB that was only 4 months old to get a MBP because I felt that a G4 would become obsolete faster after a new chip introduction. I got a good price but don't usually do that. I can't be selling after every single upgrade--are there really people who do that?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2006, 06:13 PM

I will be happy to buy a MBP as soon as Apple solves all the problems the current models are adding.

Oh, and add a dual layer drive like the 17" has.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

pxlshftr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Sounds great, but a processor jump along won't motivate me enough to sell. The current core duo runs things fast enough for me. Maybe if they add more goodies like a new case design, upgraded superdrive, more ram, less heat and a screen that tilts back further-- then perhaps. I have to admit I sold a PB that was only 4 months old to get a MBP because I felt that a G4 would become obsolete faster after a new chip introduction. I got a good price but don't usually do that. I can't be selling after every single upgrade--are there really people who do that?
I know many people who sell their machine and upgrade with every new release. I don't do it with every upgrade, but I've upgraded 2 times in two years, so doing it even that often is possible, and with education pricing, you don't actually lose too much each time you switch up.

I started out by financing my 12" Powerbook 2 years ago. I had it for about 5 months before I realized that I needed a 15" screen, so I waited for the 15" model to be revised, upgraded to it. I only lost 100 dollars by selling the 12" powerbook, and since I had already begun paying the finance payments (through my bank, not Apple), I used the cash from the sale to pay off my original loan, took out a slightly bigger loan and got a 15" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook (combodrive). Owned it for a year, and now I'm the proud owner of a new 15" MBP, again financed.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by pxlshftr
I know many people who sell their machine and upgrade with every new release. I don't do it with every upgrade, but I've upgraded 2 times in two years, so doing it even that often is possible, and with education pricing, you don't actually lose too much each time you switch up.

I started out by financing my 12" Powerbook 2 years ago. I had it for about 5 months before I realized that I needed a 15" screen, so I waited for the 15" model to be revised, upgraded to it. I only lost 100 dollars by selling the 12" powerbook, and since I had already begun paying the finance payments (through my bank, not Apple), I used the cash from the sale to pay off my original loan, took out a slightly bigger loan and got a 15" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook (combodrive). Owned it for a year, and now I'm the proud owner of a new 15" MBP, again financed.
I was actually thinking about moving to upgrades every year myself--though not every revision. I lost about $400 from selling the PB, but that may have been because of the chip transition. Well, it certainly will be harder and harder to control myself with all the new stuff going into these things.

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2006, 11:46 PM

If the MBPs with the Meroms ship by the time September starts rolling one, I'll definetely be looking to get one.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I can't be selling after every single upgrade--are there really people who do that?
Sometimes.

But I also like to keep some of my old Macs around for that little museum thing I have going on.

jasong
Mac Elite
May 9, 2006, 09:19 PM

Are the MacBook processors soldered on? I know one of the Intel Mac family has it soldered, but I don't remember which one.
-- Jason

masugu
Senior User
May 9, 2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Sometimes.

But I also like to keep some of my old Macs around for that little museum thing I have going on.

Wow. You must have a huge house...are all your macs on display ?

Danoldo
May 9, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
Are the MacBook processors soldered on? I know one of the Intel Mac family has it soldered, but I don't remember which one.
Yes, they are soldered on

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Wow. You must have a huge house...are all your macs on display ?
Almost there. Working on it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by jasong
The MBP has soldered CPUs. The Mac mini and iMac have socketed CPUs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules