Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Got Parallels and now want Boot Camp

Got Parallels and now want Boot Camp
HamSandwich
Sep 5, 2007, 07:18 PM

Can it be done in this order? I am having trouble running this car diagnostic software/cable with Parallels and I am pretty sure it will work fine with Boot Camp and XP.

Would Boot Camp recognize the copy of Windows already on my MBP? How much more disk space would this take up if it is possible?

I know people have had success installed Parallels after Boot Camp but I am doing the opposite.

Thanks.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2007, 09:45 PM

Why not try VMWare Fusion, works great for everything I've tried. If that doesn't help I would suggest installing Bootcamp then have Parallels use the Bootcamp partition (unless you want to maintain two Windows XP OSes).

AnandATinduktion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 10:53 PM

Any chance its for VAG-COM??? If so, the only reliable method I've heard of is as you said, with BootCamp (I run it on my MB)... Unfortunately I have no other answers for you!

HamSandwich
Sep 5, 2007, 11:05 PM

Yep, it's for VAG-COM. I don't understand how it would work with Boot Camp and not Parallels, but I guess there is no solution besides going with Boot Camp. What steps do you guys recommend to uninstall Parallels and XP and start over?

AnandATinduktion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2007, 09:26 PM

Once again, no real answers, but one of my friends has tried forever to get his MicroCan cable to work in Parallels, and NOTHING... w/ Bootcamp it was just download the software, plug the cable in, just like any other windows PC... I was out doing some logs w/ it today and its flawless
MacBook 2.16Ghz, 2GB, 120GB; iSkin/Marware; BootCamp w/ Vista
Maybe soon: DIY Hackintosh???

HamSandwich
Sep 6, 2007, 09:34 PM

Uninstalled Parallels and installed VMWare Fusion, still the same problem.

At first, I could not get Boot Camp to partition 10GB for Windows then it finally worked when I chose 5GB and I could not get it to recognize my Windows XP CD. Anyway, I think I am just going to use a friend's laptop to run the diagnostic software

Forum Links
Forum Rules