Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Peeling or dirt?

Peeling or dirt?
HamSandwich
May 16, 2009, 08:38 PM

I'm leaning toward peeling since the affected area is shinier than normal finish. Crappy picture..

hatehereyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2009, 09:12 PM

From that picture it looks like it's peeling...

Maybe from your palm/thumb when pressing the space bar.

ghporter
Administrator
May 16, 2009, 09:36 PM

Not "peeling." Wear of the finish is what I'd call it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

hatehereyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2009, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Not "peeling." Wear of the finish is what I'd call it.
Yeah, either way it's not dirt.

It's getting worn down.

Cold Warrior
May 16, 2009, 11:35 PM

Mine is doing the same thing, just in a couple different small areas. I've had it since October 2006 and I'm not surprised given how much I use it.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 18, 2009, 11:29 AM

That's odd, what is peeling off exactly? I thought the aluminum was bare and not coated with anything that could peel--that often comes up when people discuss dark scratches on their aluminum MBP. Is it a dirt film which is coming off?

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 18, 2009, 11:36 AM

^ I was wondering the same thing. How does aluminum peel?

Cold Warrior
May 18, 2009, 12:46 PM

The peeling is in a very specific area -- the long strip of material between keys and main body. Perhaps that strip is not aluminum?

amazing
Professional Poster
May 18, 2009, 12:52 PM

My old 12" looks just like that--I concluded (like Cold Warrior) that the strip wasn't aluminum.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 18, 2009, 03:02 PM

It's wearing down all right. Same thing has happened to my mouse. The indentation where my thumb rests on my MX1000 has both a super smooth area and an area that looks ribbed, as if my thumb nail dug into it repeatedly over the last 4 years.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2009, 08:01 AM

My 2006 MBP has wear below the left command key. Oh, well!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2009, 10:35 AM

What we "see" as bare aluminum on finished products is almost always coated with something. The most common is an anodize coating. It can be clear or colored (as in those nicely colored aluminum iPods). The good thing about anodize is that it does penetrate the aluminum slightly, so minor wear areas should be okay.

Bare aluminum left to the everyday elements will oxidize, which is a white powdery substance on the surface of the aluminum. You can just imagine what this stuff would do to the electronics inside.

Painted aluminum products are coated with a conversion coating ("Chem Film") prior to painting to both prevent oxidation and improve paint adhesion.
macforray

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by macforray View Post
Bare aluminum left to the everyday elements will oxidize, which is a white powdery substance on the surface of the aluminum. You can just imagine what this stuff would do to the electronics inside.
Bare aluminum left to the everyday elements will oxidize, which is a white powdery substance on the surface of the aluminum. You can just imagine what this stuff would do to the electronics inside.[/QUOTE]Bare, uncoated aluminum will react very quickly with atmospheric oxygen to form a layer of aluminum oxide that "passivates" the surface, effectively sealing it against further corrosion. Just plain aluminum, without any surface treatment, will look slightly dull due to this thin, but effective layer.

The only time you will see a "powdery, white" corrosion in aluminum is when some agent other than just air contact causes the corrosion. Leaking alkaline batteries, spills of soft drinks (phosphoric acid gives colas their "bite" but it also can enhance corrosion), or other active chemicals will do this. Interestingly, human perspiration can be extremely corrosive to certain materials, including aluminum, due to its high water and salt content, along with other chemistry which is typically unique to the individual.

So your MBP or MacBook isn't going to dissolve into a powdery mass, but if you have already noticed that YOUR sweat impacts materials such as paint (especially on plastics) or other metals, you should expect some extra wear on your aluminum hardware.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules