Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sports™

Sports™ (Page 14)
sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2015, 04:53 PM

Refs Failure to Call Illegal Bat Penalty vs. Seahawks Sparks Twitter Reaction | Bleacher Report

Lions can't catch a break.

Edit: Alright, new page, stop this madness and talk about SportsBall.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2015, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Why are you guys ruining the sports thread?
No idea.

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Refs Failure to Call Illegal Bat Penalty vs. Seahawks Sparks Twitter Reaction | Bleacher Report

Lions can't catch a break.

Edit: Alright, new page, stop this madness and talk about SportsBall.
This is the one that made me chuckle:

The ref just didn't know the rule. I certainly didn't.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2015, 02:36 PM

Anyone catch the Pirates bs Cubs game last night?

https://mobile.twitter.com/danworthi...84983242969088

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2015, 05:32 PM

The ref just didn't know the rule. I certainly didn't.
Yeah, the Lions were straight-up ****ed, but it's in Seattle, so...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2015, 09:26 PM

Let's. Go. Royals!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Yeah, the Lions were straight-up ****ed, but it's in Seattle, so...
I'm not entirely sure why Seattle seems to be considered the darlings of the NFL these days. Maybe it's the uniforms. Maybe Russell Wilson is the cutesy little QB the NFL wanted.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2015, 01:06 PM

I'm not entirely sure why Seattle seems to be considered the darlings of the NFL these days. Maybe it's the uniforms. Maybe Russell Wilson is the cutesy little QB the NFL wanted.
Seahawks are overrated.

Might now even make the playoffs this year.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2015, 10:36 AM

The Grantland Exodus Has Begun
Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch reported this evening that the four staffers leaving for the mystery Simmons project are Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin, and Chris Ryan. Going by who he poached here—not all that great a thing to be going on, admittedly—Simmons would seem to be setting up a more pop culture-based site than a sports-focused one.
So he will be starting a site with HBO. Also, this apparently decimates Grantland's editing team.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2015, 01:06 PM

I'm not sure I completely agree with the "it must be pop culture-based" angle, seeing as Juliet and Chris are both crucial figures in my second-favorite Grantland podcast, NBA After Dark. I was just wondering a few days ago why it hasn't been updated in forever.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2015, 01:27 PM

If they start a new one up I might have to look at it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2015, 12:01 PM

Twitter suspends sports media accounts after NFL says GIFs violate copyright | Ars Technica
"Free PR? No thanks, we already get a ton of that with all the domestic abuse stories."

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2015, 02:41 PM

The NFL is pulling a Nintendo.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2015, 10:01 AM

They found Lamar Odom unresponsive in the LV brothel. I guess this is what rock bottom looks like. Poor guy. He's in critical condition.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
The NFL is pulling a Nintendo.
Precisely. It's backwards, antiquated thinking.

I wonder if the bottom will ever fall out for the NFL. Despite the CTE epidemic and PR disasters every year, the ratings aren't dropping. I'm guessing it won't really take effect until millennials get a bit older.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They found Lamar Odom unresponsive in the LV brothel. I guess this is what rock bottom looks like. Poor guy. He's in critical condition.
Someone texted me about this late last night. Horrible story. I hope this isn't how he goes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2015, 10:59 AM

My prediction about the NFL is this – Boxing was seen as rigged and under went its own problems with brain damage. It's still around. The NFL will be fine.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2015, 11:01 AM

My prediction about the NFL is this – Boxing was seen as rigged and under went its own problems with brain damage. It's still around. The NFL will be fine.
It's still around, but it's a shell of its former self.

Besides Mayweather/Pacquiao, what fight has penetrated the mainstream in the last ten years? One could also argue that fight caused even further damage the sport's reputation.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2015, 11:04 AM

It's still around, but it's a shell of its former self.

Besides Mayweather/Pacquiao, what fight has penetrated the mainstream in the last ten years? One could also argue that fight caused even further damage the sport's reputation.
The NFL as a shell of its former self would probably be the third biggest sport in the US.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2015, 11:05 AM

The NFL as a shell of its former self would probably be the third biggest sport in the US.
Sounds like a good start.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2015, 11:10 AM

Sounds like a good start.
Did you catch that two or three HS football players died playing a few weeks ago? That will probably have more effect.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 14, 2015, 11:37 AM

Samurai cutting 100 mph fastball in half. Damn.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2015, 02:40 PM

Did you catch that two or three HS football players died playing a few weeks ago? That will probably have more effect.
Yep. Three within one month. It was discussed among parents down here quite a bit. One of my students has been pulled out of football (and he was in favor).

Samurai cutting 100 mph fastball in half. Damn.
Freaking awesome.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2015, 05:47 PM

Saw that today. Such a sad story. That man has lost so many loved ones in his life. Hope he pulls through.

OAW

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2015, 06:14 PM

Freaking awesome.
all the more when you consider that was the first attempt.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2015, 11:58 AM

I had no idea Blue Jays fans were so crappy.

In case you haven't heard about it or seen it yet...

The trouble stemmed from one of the more bizarre calls you will ever see — a live ball that resulted from a throw back to the pitcher by Jays catcher Russell Martin, a throw that struck Shin-Soo Choo’s bat while he was in the batter’s box, prompting Rougned Odor to race home from third.

Plate umpire Dale Scott initially signaled that the ball was dead, a decision that he later admitted was a mistake. Scott, to his credit, reversed the call after conferencing with the other umpires, allowing Odor’s run to stand and the Rangers to take a 3-2 lead.

The confusion and even anger among Jays fans were understandable; imagine your favorite team falling behind on such a play in a winner-take-all game. But some fans took it too far, tossing water bottles, cans, rally towels and paper products onto the field — and continuing their misconduct after Jose Bautista’s go-ahead, three-run homer in the bottom half.
The hitter after Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, stood at home plate with his arms raised and his back to the field, pleading with the fans to stop. The benches emptied after Rangers reliever Sam Dyson exchanged words with Encarnacion, apparently still upset with Bautista's demonstrative actions at home plate following his homer.

At one point, a fan sitting near the Rangers dugout threw something at manager Jeff Banister, enraging Banister and others around him.

Mario Coutinho, the Blue Jays’ vice-president of stadium operations and security, told Fox Sports that 39 fans were ejected and no one was seriously hurt.
Still, security officials from rival clubs do not agree with Coutinho that fans in Toronto are “pretty docile” — those officials frequently tell me that the crowd in Toronto is the roughest on visiting players in the AL.
And the big one:

They Found The Blue Jays Fan Who Allegedly Threw Beer On A Baby

Blue Jays fans’ brief but furious seventh-inning meltdown reached a low point when someone from the upper deck tossed a beer into the general vicinity of a baby. Toronto police have identified the alleged beer-thrower, and he will be brought to justice.
Embarrassing for Toronto because:

1. The fans reacted as bad as any baseball fans I've ever seen in any situation.
2. They showed their butts over a correct ruling.
3. They continued to throw cans and bottles onto the field, dugouts, and visitors' bullpen, even after the game-winning home run from Bautista.

My friend from Hamilton texted me last night, aggravated that I tweeted about Toronto fans. He said it was "a few idiots."

This doesn't look like a few. This looks like a lot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2015, 12:08 PM

Why to kill our stereotypes about Candiens, Blue Jay fans. Unforgivable.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2015, 06:00 PM

Who brings a 6 month old to a playoff sporting event?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2015, 09:08 PM

Awesome, epic game! Texans everywhere be real butthurt. Lucky for everyone that the game wasn't won on that terrible play.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2015, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Saw that today. Such a sad story. That man has lost so many loved ones in his life. Hope he pulls through.

OAW
So, what are the odds this ends up on an episode of "Keeping...."
45/47

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Awesome, epic game! Texans everywhere be real butthurt. Lucky for everyone that the game wasn't won on that terrible play.
It could very well have been won as a result of that "terrible play."

Andrus making two terrible errors in the wake of rabid, seething, high-on-maple fans pelting the field with beer from the upper deck to load the bases could definitely be attributed to being shaken up by the whole incident. The players should have cleared the field and gone to the locker room.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2015, 09:46 PM

I believe it's called "home field advantage". If the Rangers couldn't handle some crowd adversity, they deserved to lose. There was no danger to any of the players - it was a inconvenient, irreverent and rather childish display, but the throwing really wasn't more than a couple hundred fans out of what, 65 thousand or something?

The play really was terrible. Every player everywhere should be holding out their hands or bats high in front of the catcher on every second play - it's obviously smart.

In any event, the better team won, end of story. Jays played a better series overall and deserved to move on. In trouble with the Royals already tonight...
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2015, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
So, what are the odds this ends up on an episode of "Keeping...."
They're probably shooting it as we speak.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I believe it's called "home field advantage". If the Rangers couldn't handle some crowd adversity, they deserved to lose. There was no danger to any of the players - it was a inconvenient, irreverent and rather childish display, but the throwing really wasn't more than a couple hundred fans out of what, 65 thousand or something?
If you actually believe that several hundred fans throwing beer cans (many of them nearly full) from the stands and upper deck isn't dangerous to the players on the field, then I'm going to have trouble accepting your objectivity on the matter.

If I was standing just ten feet away from you and underhanded a half-full can at your head, it could be enough to illicit a yelp, and then you'd be willing to fight. Imagine one lucky can careening from 100 feet high, hitting an outfielder in the head. You're actually trying to convince me that wouldn't be a player safety issue?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2015, 10:39 PM

Royals! Royals! Royals! Royals!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2015, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Right there with you (for now).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2015, 06:37 PM

Go Cubs.

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Go Cubs.

-t
Yes! We need a Cubs/Royals WS!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2015, 01:11 PM

Can ESPN Solve Its Grantland Problem? | Vanity Fair
If that wasn’t enough, multiple sources have confirmed that one of the staffers who left, deputy editor Sean Fennessey, was offered Simmons’s old job as Grantland’s editor in chief, the post currently held by Chris Connelly. Fennessey turned ESPN down, deciding instead to join Simmons in a new digital venture
ESPN sources place annual ad revenue for Grantland at about $6 million a year, including the Web site and a Simmons podcast, but since his departure from ESPN, Simmons has rolled out his own (and his owned) podcast, which, according to an industry expert, is probably worth north of $5 million in yearly revenue alone. Thus Simmons is now making for himself roughly the same as Grantland’s entire annual ad-sales revenue.
I love this. They hate Grantland because it may be hemorrhaging money, but they hate Simmons, so they want to keep it open as a sign of independence, but a lot of the people on the site are leaving because ESPN sucks. What fun.

Also: James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller 23m23 minutes ago
Another @Grantland33 exit: @rembert who had a year left on contract, has been given a release by @espn He will not be joining @BillSimmons

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2015, 01:20 PM

I love this. They hate Grantland because it may be hemorrhaging money, but they hate Simmons, so they want to keep it open as a sign of independence, but a lot of the people on the site are leaving because ESPN sucks. What fun.
There's no way Grantland's talent would have ever remained. Not sure why ESPN didn't see that coming. From what Simmons said, they were given second-rate treatment by Bristol the entire time. Why are they trying to keep it afloat?

Also: James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller 23m23 minutes ago
Another @Grantland33 exit: @rembert who had a year left on contract, has been given a release by @espn He will not be joining @BillSimmons
Everybody loves Rembert. I wonder where he'll be going.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2015, 01:22 PM

Why are they trying to keep it afloat?
To prove they don't need Simmons.

Remember, they pre-emptively fired him rather than let him leave once the contract expired.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2015, 01:25 PM

To prove they don't need Simmons.

Remember, they pre-emptively fired him rather than let him leave once the contract expired.
I hate them more every day.

However, they actually have some pretty good soccer writers. Too bad it's counterbalanced by their sensationalist basketball coverage. It seems like every other entry is an overreaction to a LeBron Instagram post.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2015, 01:38 PM

I hate them more every day.
*shrug* They're undergoing a good amount of change lately, and it'll be for the worse because its revenue based. Apparently they're the only Disney entity that lost money last year, and their league deals, which are great for fans, are apparently a bit too expensive.

Too bad it's counterbalanced by their sensationalist basketball coverage. It seems like every other entry is an overreaction to a LeBron Instagram post.
Their NFL coverage is just as bad. And then there's their conflict of interest with regards to reporting.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2015, 02:43 PM

My mama is a drama llama.
What's Going On With Grantland's NFL Podcast?
The problem seems to be with a portion of a previous podcast, during which Barnwell and Mays apparently offered praise to a handful of their departing colleagues—and there are a lot! Just today it was announced that staff writer Rembert Browne will be leaving the site to work for New York Magazine—only to have that segment edited out after the podcast was recorded. Jim Miller, author of the ESPN oral history, reported this morning that portions of various recent podcasts were cut by Editor-In-Chief Chris Connelly.
I like Chris Connelly. I expect better of him. But I have heard he's a bit of a company man. This strikes me as something you let through. Let the executives exercise the veto. This is not a way to win over your co-workers.

I just want Fierman, Fennessey, Juliet, Chris and Mallory to know that you mean the world to @billbarnwell and @robertmays.
Tweeted by Rembert who just got released.

If Barnwell and Mays are waging some kind of podcast boycott, that would fall in line with what Miller wrote in his piece about the site for Vanity Fair last week,
It's fascinating how fast this is falling apart.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2015, 02:53 PM

This is getting more entertaining by the tweet.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2015, 02:58 PM

We're basically watching a car crash in slow motion.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2015, 03:03 PM

https://twitter.com/HollyAnderson
Her feed has some interesting stuff. Barnwell resigned with a cake?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2015, 05:09 PM

The much-anticipated Patriots-Colts SNF game was last night, it was slated to be Brady's return from his 4-game suspension (lulz) and also a clash of the Deflate-Gate insiders.

Indy came out with their hair on fire, and this matchup proved to be incredibly entertaining allllll the way up until this

What we have here is called a "swinging gate" fake punt alignment, only executed in quite literally the worst way imaginable. Not only did Indy screw up the front line, there is no goddamn way a sane individual snaps the ball. Oh but they did, and the poor "QB" simply collapsed in the face of several Patriots rushers. Now note the time and score, they were down by 6 with a whole quarter left to go, Pats offense was looking flat and our secondary was giving up constant soft yardage....but no, let's try this f**king trick play we practiced clearly not enough in a crucial moment in a close game.

You know why the Patriots keep winning all these years? They don't do shit like this and crap all over themselves in pivotal moments. The momentum shifted instantly after this play, and it certainly deflated the crowd.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2015, 06:51 PM

Yeah, the Pats won't be that lucky when they face the Packers in the Superbowl ;-)

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 20, 2015, 11:53 AM

Former Louisville Players Describe School Using Strippers, Prostitutes In Recruiting
The Louisville basketball program was thrown into the spotlight earlier this month, following the publication of a book written by self-described madame Katina Powell, who claims to have supplied escorts to former members of the Louisville basketball team. ESPN’s Outside the Lines has since gotten in touch with a handful of former players and girls who worked the parties, many of whom confirmed that the basketball team was routinely provided with strippers at parties within the dorm, and that some of the strippers had sex with players in exchange for money.
This is why student athletes shouldn't be paid. They'd just blow it on escorts.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2015, 12:13 AM

Royals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules