Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicken 2004 crashes constantly

Quicken 2004 crashes constantly
mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 01:25 PM

I recently upgraded my (fairly stable) Quicken 2003 to the '04 version with disastrous results. Every time I complete a One Step Update, it crashes. Other miscellaneous actions also crash the program.

Intuit has not posted any updates.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 04:35 PM

It rarely crashes here but I don't use the downloads.

Quicken is still littered with bugs and annoyance that are carried from version to version and never fixed. Don't get you hopes too high, but unfortunatly it is the nicest banking program out there, thus overpriced and undefeatured.

jamester
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 01:04 PM

I also don't use downloads or anything - and it's been solid for me. (Of course, I've had it less than a week, too.) I can't explain the sheer joy at having an accurate recording of my checking account's balance. Bliss. =)
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

renpar61
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 01:23 PM

I've been using Quicken daily since v. 2001, under OS 9, then OS X. I have to say it has become more and more stable for me. I currently have 2004 and 10.3 and it works flawlessly with downloads, portfolio management, all the nine yards. Never crashed (knock on wood). Am I lucky...?

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2003, 01:25 PM

I had the same issue. I then delete all prefs and saved just my data file - nothing else.

All now works perfectly with no crashes. To get to the data file, find your data file and right click, then choose "Show Package Contents". You'll find it in there.

mh0ffmann  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 01:40 PM

Did it, and everything seems to be working fine, although I'll report back after some more testing.

Thanks for the tip.

And what's the extra 2 megs of crap in the package anyways???

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 14, 2004, 09:15 AM

So I guess you guys are saying I should stick with Quicken on the PC? I've been using Microsoft Desktop Connection to access my PC for Quicken, but it'd be nice to have Quicken on my Mac. However, if it continues to have problems I'll stick with the PC version.

speedraycer
Apr 14, 2004, 01:16 PM

And the fact they link to my bank for downloads, it works great for me. I havn't had any crashes and both my bank (Chase) and Quicken offer extremely good customer service. I do not enjoy entering my transactions in manually, and for me the $3/mo is money well spent. I have to highly recommend this product for the support alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules