Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD Ripper

DVD Ripper
b33faroni
Aug 6, 2005, 12:04 AM

I want to start copying some of my dvds that are scratched to all hell as back ups incase they start to skipping. What program would you guys reccomend to go about doign this with? The only one of the sort I have heard so far of is Mac The Ripper. Thanks for the insight!

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2005, 12:13 AM

go download mactheripper

rparke1
Banned
Aug 6, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by damnyooneek
go download mactheripper

mactheripper > dvd2oneX (cant stress the X) > toast

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 03:10 AM

You will also need something like Toast or Popcorn to burn it onto a new DVD-R.

Ann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 11:22 PM

I want to rip the whole disk, not just the movie. I have MacTheRipper and Toast. If I burn the folder that mactheripper creates as a data disk with toast will that make a DVD player playable dvd. If not, any help please.
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHz
768MB/60GB/Superdrive

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ann
I want to rip the whole disk, not just the movie. I have MacTheRipper and Toast. If I burn the folder that mactheripper creates as a data disk with toast will that make a DVD player playable dvd. If not, any help please.
MacTheRipper is a freeware to decrypt the DVD. The only other program you'll then need is Roxio Popcorn to burn the DVD (it will automatically condense the files to fit onto a 4.7GB DVD recordable, if needed - you choose whether to duplicate the entire DVD, or just the movie files). If you get the new version of Toast (version 7), it includes Popcorn's ability to do this.

No other programs are needed to duplicate your (legally owned!) DVD's.

iBorg

Ann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2005, 11:48 PM

Ok, thanks iBorg. One last question, is Popcorn worth the $50 and is it fully compatible with Tiger?
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHz
768MB/60GB/Superdrive

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ann
Ok, thanks iBorg. One last question, is Popcorn worth the $50 and is it fully compatible with Tiger?
It's cheaper than the alternatives (none are free) for recompiling, and burning DVD's that you rip with MacTheRipper (which is freeware), so if you want to make backup DVD's, there aren't any less expensive choices for Macintosh. It works great with Tiger - I've used it many times!

OTOH, I've seen Toast 7 sold for as little as $75 from Buy.com (and if you have an older version, there's an additional $20 rebate, which is how I got my copy for $55) - it does all that Popcorn does, plus alot more (you can read reviews on many Mac websites for details). I used Popcorn alot before Toast 7 debuted last month - now I use Toast!

iBorg

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2005, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
You will also need something like Toast or Popcorn to burn it onto a new DVD-R.
Actually your link for Toast is for Toast 6 - you'll find Toast 7 here from Roxio. If you have no prior version, their price is $100. As I noted above, I purchased the boxed commercial version of Toast 7 from Buy.com for $75.99, which is the cheapest price I've seen (before rebate).

iBorg

sxates
Oct 5, 2005, 11:56 AM

I have a DVD of a video sent to me by a client that wants to put the video on a website. I have the video ripped from the disc, but need to convert that into a quicktime or something I can actually work with. Anybody have a suggestion for converting the ripped dvd file?

kyles_mac
Oct 5, 2005, 12:02 PM

Another question, that is slightly related to this. I have some home movies that my uncle put onto a DVD. I ripped the DVD on my computer, but I sadly do not have a DVD burner. I was aware that there is some program that can convert them into VCD, which will play on a CDR in compatible DVD players. But most tutorials that I have seen, says it requires Toast. Is there any alternative to buying Toast?

JRobinson
Oct 30, 2005, 08:08 PM

Has anyone seen a dramatic performance increase using Popcorn on a G5 as opposed to a G4? Is it optimized for 64-bit processors?

Forum Links
Forum Rules