Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SCSI Zip on Mac OS X

SCSI Zip on Mac OS X
Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2001, 11:49 AM

I have and old SCSI Zip Drive conected to my G4 tower with an PCI Adapted SCSI card. Will it work on Mac OS X. (I'm going to install OSX soon )

Thanks
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

Moonray
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2001, 03:10 PM

My SCSI Zip drive doesn't work with OS X, but it's a G3 with "only" Apple-SCSI and 3rd party SCSI seems to work better than Apples own, and making design has been more important than compatibility (just for you to know what you're paying for).
Maybe it will work some time, but not in a foreseeable future (first comes DVD support to satisfy the kids and even that takes months).

See OS X as a non-ready product, I think it will support everything fine, but it will take at least one year to make it fully usable.

-

lwalter
Jul 10, 2001, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Betox:
<STRONG>I have and old SCSI Zip Drive conected to my G4 tower with an PCI Adapted SCSI card. Will it work on Mac OS X. (I'm going to install OSX soon )

Thanks </STRONG>
I have the same configuration as you have.
Your ZIP drive will work without installing any driver.

Luc

MrTomServo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 11:19 AM

I have a SCSI card that came with my new G4, and a Zip drive that I bought with my old (now gone) Performa. Everything works like a charm, with no added drivers.

Have fun!

Robert

MacNN Member of the Day: 28 June 2001, 7 July 2001

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 10:49 PM

I have a rev A beige. The SCSI Zip on the built-in scsi works OK except when the drive refuses to eject a disk with the cryptic message that it wont let me [thanks!] cause the disk is in use - even though it's not. Nevertheless it does read and write data so I suppose for system X that's a lot. I also have an Initio Miles card that lets me use the drives from my ex-raid [thanks SoftRaid]. All this is very Mac OS X; half-baked and messy. But it will get better- so they tell me. drjoe

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 10:50 PM

I have a rev A beige. The SCSI Zip on the built-in scsi works OK except when the drive refuses to eject a disk with the cryptic message that it wont let me [thanks!] cause the disk is in use - even though it's not. Nevertheless it does read and write data so I suppose for system X that's a lot. I also have an Initio Miles card that lets me use the drives from my ex-raid [thanks SoftRaid]. All this is very Mac OS X; half-baked and messy. But it will get better- so they tell me. drjoe

Forum Links
Forum Rules