Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > School Me On iPad Data Plans

School Me On iPad Data Plans
subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2012, 11:59 PM

Up to this point, my iPad's been wifi-only, so I haven't done the data plan dance (my phone has grandfathered unlimited data).

Since my current usage pattern is relying soley on wifi, my cellular usage is going to start out slow.

My main questions are:

1) How do you manage turning it on when you need it, and then turning it off so you don't get charged for a new month until you need it again. Say, if you use it once, and then don't use it again for three months.

2) I'm on Verizon. How much do they **** you if your estimate is off on the data you need? If you're getting close to your allotment, can you buy more at a reasonable price or do you have to get charged insane per-megabyte overage rates?

3) Anything else I've missed?
( Last edited by subego; Mar 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2012, 12:42 AM

1. The AT&T iPad has a page in the settings app to manage your data monthly subscription. You can increase it to 3GB, or decrease it to 0, with no charge over the months you won't use data. I don't know about the Verizon iPad plan.
2. There's a reasonable sodomization over overages in the duopoly: $10/GB. There's an option to increase your subscription anytime in your prepaid month-service, like going from 250MB to 2GB. I don't know if you only pay the difference or pay the whole 2GB month.
3. Try inserting your Verizon SIM into a friend's Verizon iPad. If it works, you should consider swapping it out to use the GBs you pay for. If it doesn't work, simply jailbreak your iPhone if you haven't upgraded to 5.1 and purchase MyWi on demand.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2012, 03:15 AM

no such thing as a VZ SIM. It's built into the iPhone, it's built into the VZ iPad.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2012, 11:35 PM

1.) As soon as you connect to wifi your cell data turns off.

2.) Their rates are decent and they charge you $10 per GB you go over your plan.

3.) I have a LTE phone and inserting my LTE SIM only allows for 3G.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2012, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the replies!

andi*pandi
Mar 20, 2012, 11:03 AM

I am enrolling in this thread. I'm also planning to migrate from a wifi only to this newfangled data world.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2012, 08:44 PM

Everyone should consider getting a data compression service, such as Onavo or Hotspot Shield, depending how use use the Internet (text vs YouTube) you could see a 20x gain in your byte allowance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules