Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is Target Disc Mode bad for my powerbook.

Is Target Disc Mode bad for my powerbook.
wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 04:16 PM

I currently have a 1st Generation TiBook and a G4 Cube with a processor upgrade. So it is faster than the Tibook. My question is, is it safe to leave my Tibook in target disc mode attached to my cube 24/7? Will it overheat, i have a towel under the TiBook to disipate the heat a little bit. But I am just wondering if my TiBook will suffer undue stress from this.

btw, I won't be doing heavy file transfering to the TiBook. it's just more space for my stuff.
G4 Cube Owner :-)

dcsmrgun
Oct 1, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hey, just a quickie, isn't a towel under your Ti counterproductive to dissipating heat? You'd probably be better finding some casters to stand it on.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 04:23 PM

Well I honestly would just power it on when you needed to do file transfers...it's a computer, not a FireWire hard drive, so I'd try not to leave it in that position for an extended period of time.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 04:37 PM

I can say without reservation that putting a towel under your PB will not help radiate heat --- quite the opposite.

Put it on a upside-down baking sheet if you feel you need some sort of radiator.

wclarkson  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 04:40 PM

Ok, i've removed the towel and flipped it upside down. So it's a bad thing to leave it on all the time?
G4 Cube Owner :-)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 04:45 PM

Well, possibly...I don't get why it's such a big deal just to shut it off at nights while you sleep. And anyway, if you're using a laptop as a FireWire drive, why on earth don't you sell it and buy a FireWire drive and have lots of cash leftover. I mean, you can't actually use the laptop while it's sitting there being a drive, right?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by wclarkson:
Ok, i've removed the towel and flipped it upside down. So it's a bad thing to leave it on all the time?
That I don't know... My PBs are essntially on all the time, and I'm sure it shortens their lives, but other than that I can't say. Anyone?

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2003, 04:58 PM

Come on - leaving it on forever isn't going to hurt you - no more than leaving it on to use as a computer would. Period. The other guy has a point - sell it and buy a FW drive - faster, less power, etc., etc.

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 05:06 PM

Ya umm the user manual states that if you are planning on using your computer the next day leave it in sleep mode. If you plan on using yoru computer in a couple days shut it down. Now in a addition to this i want to add if you are taking your powerbook in the car the next day i would shut it down. I dont know if it would hurt it or not and if it didnt i would still shut it down to be safe. On the ride to work everyday for example.

I dont really understand why your using your TIbook is being used as a external hard drive. iF you just need a hardrive and not the TIbook why dont you just ebay the tibook, and get a firewire enclosure with cheap HDs, or just a external HD. If your not doing heavy transfer i would keep it in sleep mode and buy a crossover cable. Although I really wouldn't do that either. If I am not wrong it doesnt sound like you need that powerbook. So i would do what I initially said and ebay it. Use the extra money for a External.

I could be missing something but you might want to think about that. You may end up losing money by shortening your powerbooks life in the longrun. Its not meant to do what you have it to do for extended periods of time like that. Even if it can I cant imagine its good for it. Although I know many will argue with my point.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 1, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by LfGrdMike:
Now in a addition to this i want to add if you are taking your powerbook in the car the next day i would shut it down. I dont know if it would hurt it or not and if it didnt i would still shut it down to be safe. On the ride to work everyday for example.
You don't have to shut down when transporting a Powerbook. The only difference between sleep and complete shutdown is that the memory is fed minimal power to keep its contents from being erased. Over time this can drain your battery so that is why it is good to shut down if you won't be using it for a few days. But sleep is fine for everything else.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

LfGrdMike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 05:21 PM

eh it doesnt drain it that much you just lose a little juice from it. Mine goes down to 94 saying its fully charged every couple days, and then goes right back up to 100 so eh its not a big deal. Like I said some may not agree with me, but I baby my laptop to much hell i spent a lot of money on that beatiful computer i wont take any chances. You can call me paranoid lol. Na you made a good point perhaps i will just keep my book in sleep mode when i travel but sometimes i can go a few hours without using it so probably not. I make it go to sleep at night.

Edit wait what did you mean by drain becaue the battery can drain a tiny bit of power as i described above even when the ac adapter is in and this is normal. I think maybe you meant drain it while in sleep with battery on. Sorry i misread.
MacBook Pro 15" Rev B | 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB Mem | 160GB HD | Display 15 Glossy Widescreen Display
iPod Mini Green | 35 gigs of music :-)
HP DV1040us Laptop | 1.6 Pentium M | 1GB RAM | Centrino

Forum Links
Forum Rules