Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Info on 10.1 5F24

Info on 10.1 5F24 (Page 3)
<Mr Todhunter>
Jul 26, 2001, 11:42 AM

APPENDED SOLUTION TO HALF BLUE SETUP ASSISTANT SCREEN ON 5F24

0. Boot the install CD and choose clean install . This is important: DO NOT INSTALL the BSD subsystem or any of the language localizations.

1 . Boot into single user mode by holding cmd-S on restart (or any startup).

2. Mount the filesystem as read-write by following the instructions
printed on the screen after you boot into single user mode.

3. Type 'touch /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone'.

4. Type 'reboot'.

5. Boot off the install CD again and use Password Reset to give root a
password.

6. Reboot. After the OSX splashscreen has finished loading you will get the blue screen and the nlack cursor. You will be hearing noises from the hd but after a while they will stop.

7 Make sure you have the install CD in the drive and do a hard reset (ctrl cmd start)

8. Now when the install CD has booted just install the BSD subsystem (no clean install this time,of course). You are unable to uncheck the first 2 choices but that is alright.

9. When installation is over just reboot and the registration screen will be complete with Continue button and all.

10. Now enjoy F24.

It took me hours of trying all kind of tricks, reinstalling countless times etc, but thanks to the anonymous post above I'm noe running it. Thank you pal, whoever you are.

Aldie G
Jul 26, 2001, 01:09 PM

&lt;solution&gt;: Thanx for the workaround. It worked perfectly, so I was able to muck around in OS X 10.1 5F24 for about 2 hours.

Here are my experiences on an iBook 500, 384 mb RAM...

Performance:
Overall, I'm quite pleased with the gained performance-improvements.
First of all: Startuptime. My old OS X 10.0.4 takes 2 minutes and 45 seconds to startup. (That's from the 'boing' till a functional desktop) I timed it a week ago. Ok, now the big booom.. When I first started up 10.1 I didn't look at the time it took to boot the computer, but I had a feeling that it was quite a bit faster then what I was used to with 10.0.4. So, after playing around a bit in 5F24, I got my stopwatch and I decided to reboot, to see how long it really took. So.. OS X 5F24 from pushing the powerbutton till the desktop: 1 minute and 35 seconds! That's a minute less then 10.0.4! Also, logging in takes 35 seconds in 10.0.4, while it takes only 15 seconds in 10.1! This is a very nice improvement.
Now onto launching Applications.. What Steve said at MWNY about Application-launchtimes in 10.1 wasn't only marketing talk. Alot of the included Applications launch 2 times as fast as in 10.0.4. (See my bouncemarks below for the juicy proof) Window-resizing is improved a bit, but mostly in the Finder. However, it's still not 'butter'-smooth. Also, there were some visual glitches when resizing windows, but I assume this will be fixed when 10.1 goes final.
Menus are quite alot faster, I think they are about 80% the speed of OS9 now. You can now actually scroll your mouse across the menubar without visual hiccups. Scrolling in Internet Explorer (5.1.2) and in the Finder is smoother, but still not OS 9 quality. One last thing about performance: Quicktimeperformance is quite a bit better then in 10.0.4. I had some movies, which had lots of framedrops when played in OSX 10.0.4. In 10.1 they play along nicely, without any hiccups. This is good. Also, Quicktime (version 5.0.2) launces about 2x faster now.

Visual changes: (most of it is old news and allready posted)
- System Preferences now has groups of panels and alot of the prefs have more options now.
- You can turn font smoothing off below 12, 10 or 9 pt.
- The Finder now has arrows next to the folders in columnview and you can resize the columns.
- The Toolbar of the Finder has a smaller pinstripe so it's more white now (which is uglier, but hey.. big deal)
- The menuextra's (sound, monitor, battery, date, airport, etc) are there and seem to work well. They are much much better then the docklings, which take up too much space. You can turn the menuextra's on and off in their preference panel or you can command-drag them of the menubar (which causes a poof)
- Dock placement options work, but no pinning.
- No full-screen Login-window in 5F24, although it looks a bit different from the 10.0.4 login-window. ( blue Applelogo instead of graphite) You cannot choose your name, but you have to type it.
- Mail is version 1.1 and has a few new icons and some small feature-changes.

Other:
- Sleep sometimes works, sometimes not.
- Localizing is far from done.
- Lot more printer support.
- No DVD player
- There's an Airport setup assistent and an Airport Admin utility, but they don't seem to work and there's no option for a softwarebasestation.
- This build sometimes randomly produces a spinning rainbowcursur that will lock your system up for almost a minute and will then continue to work.. very weird bug.

Overall, a pretty stable and fast build and it looks like OSX 10.1 will finally replace OS9 in terms of feautures, stability and performance. OS X has a bright future, when looking at 5F24...

Aldie.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jul 26, 2001, 01:21 PM

I have not heard much about speed of switching between apps. Much of the slow down I experience, using an imac dv 400 (320 ram) is in switching between apps. For example say I have an Omniweb window open and on top of that a finder window or a quicktime window; it's very slow and unresponsive to just click on the back omniweb window. It pops to the front relatively speedy but seems pretty slow before the window actaully responds to anything.

I hope that makes sense, but could some one check that out and let us know how that is? Preferably on a g3, results there are more telling.

Thanks.

Aldie G
Jul 26, 2001, 01:23 PM

I forgot to post the bouncemarks...

This is on an iBook 500 mhz and 384 MB RAM. These results are after prebinding on both OS'ses:

Application: 10.0.4, 1st - 2th launch ----- 10.1, 1st - 2th launch

Sys. prefs: 4 - 3 ----- 3 - 2
TextEdit: 3 - 2 ----- 2 - 1.5
Preview: 3 - 2 ----- 2 - 1.5

Explorer: 14 - 8 ----- 6 - 3
Mail: 6 - 4 ------ 3 - 2
Quicktime: 8 - 5 ----- 4 - 3
Sherlock: 4 - 2 ----- 1 - 1

iTunes: 11 - 8 ----- 6 - 4
Appleworks: 6 - 4 ----- 3 - 2

As you can see, almost all apps are launching twice as fast now in OS X 10.1

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Aldie G ]

happyOSXDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 01:32 PM

Thanks Aldie -- mind indicating your machine specs. Curious about upgrading an iMac 333 to 10.1, does anyone have any experience with such a "low-end" mac and 10.1?

Thanks

applenut1
Senior User
Jul 26, 2001, 02:42 PM

can only tell me if there are drivers for more Epson Photo Printers? Most notably the Photo 750 and Photo 1280

robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by DaveGee:
<STRONG>Anyone look at that poor excuse for a program called "Address Book"? The version that came with 10.0.x has to be the worst and I've read rumors that Apple was going to improve it (not too hard).

So? Is Address Book any better?

For example...

can it print?
can it sort?
can it have additional fields in the list view?

Yea can you believe that Apple would even consider sending out an app that could do even the bare minimum stuff (listed above).

D</STRONG>
Actually, Mail.app and AddressBook.app (i believe) are old holdouts from the *Steppy days. Also, if you look at the preferences.app in the Steps and Windowmaker, you'll notice that they look very similar.

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 07:13 PM

Noticed an odd change in 5F24 - the mounting and unmounting of local disks AFTER login.

I have a partition that I used to load at boot into my Users/ directory, so that my account had it's own partition.

Now, it looks like the drives are mounted and unmounted each time a user logs in or out, without regards to any fstab file.

For example - I have four partitions : ice, Retro, udecker and swap. I had fstab mount swap as UFS and put my swap partition there... and then had udecker mount to /Users/udecker instead of /Volumes/udecker.

Now, however, this no longer works. Logging in as console shows that only the / directory is mounted - and logging in as root, mounting everything properly by hand, and then logging out removes the changes. If I try to map the udecker partition to /Users/udecker and log in as udecker, i get a spinning cursor forever, since it can't find the prefs before it can mount everything.

Very odd - do we know a workaround for this? I'm going to play around, but I can't find any config files that run automount (or equiv) inbetween logins.

-uD

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 07:45 PM

I've been trying 5F24 on a TiBook 500 with 512MB of ram. It's mostly very good but a few comments:

For those commenting on the login window, I don't see what is being complained about. My login window looks like 10.0.4 only slightly bigger. The graphite apple is a bigger blue crystal one, and the login name seems to remember the long name of the last user logged in. I don't see any list at all. I did have the dreaded half blue window of death others are seeing and fixed with instructions here. Is there a toggle somewhere to pick a login window style?

For anyone trying it on a portable, I don't get sleep to work at all. No matter how I try to put it to sleep I get a black screen, still awake and hard drive spinning. Pushing any key or anything only results in no response or a beep. I have to hard reset to get it back.

Recovering from crashes is much faster.
Startup in single-user is much faster and fsck almost never finds any problems. In 10.0.4, I'd be sure to get lots of orphaned files, etc...

No battery support visible. No way to see current battery charge. No application, no dockling, no preference.

Startup times much faster. Anywhere from twice as fast to 50% faster. Application launches 2 to 3 x faster. Generally 2x faster, but it you've launched an app then relaunch a little later, often it's only 1/2 a bounce.

Stability moderate to good. Sleep no worky, results in hard reset. Finder crashes rare but do happen. Sometimes when logging in, the Finder goes into an infinite loop trying to launch, hard reset needed. IE 5.1.2 better than before, but not done yet. Most apps so far seen to work, but Appleworks 6.2 has some serious graphics problems and isn't recognizing the dock space even when at the normal bottom position.

Scale effect for dock is cool. Didn't think I'd like it, but it's so fast!!!!

Still trying to decide whether to use it or not. The sleep issue and no way to see battery charge is big for portables. If Apple can iron out the remaining issues, 10.1 should be a winner for most users.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

zos
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 08:44 PM

In response to the question about Epson Photo printer support: My Epson Stylus Photo 875DC is still not supported in 5F24.

A few things that I haven't necessarily noticed while glancing through the posts are that internal Zip drives are not supported under 5F24, I'm assuming this was disabled for MWNY to keep people from nabbing files from the show floor machines. Another thing I saw was that upon booting up Classic Claris Emailer would cause the dock to look like it resets, I'm not sure what's up with that. It was impossible to launch Emailer whereas it's worked on all previous versions through Classic. Also, when Classic boots up on a machine without 9.2 it asks if you'd like to insert the 9.2 CD to install it. This leads me to believe that a 9.2 CD will be included with the 10.1 final release. And finally, also relating to Classic, In my tests of launching 9.1 as Classic a totally repeatable kernal panic related to USB devices happened every time until I unplugged all USB devices. This was not the case in 10.0.4.

I'll vouch for most everything else that's been said here. Speed, stability, great new features and enhancements, etc. I had a few glitches with the newest version of OmniWeb under F24, but the included version of Explorer is obviously tailored to this release as it launches in probably 2 seconds on a dual processor 500. Java support in Explorer is NOT yet supported, sadly.

Another HUGE, HUGE problem is that as of 5F24 the infamous-yet-covered-up-by-Apple dual processor dialup PPP bug is still present. Anyone who has struggled with this knows what this showstopping "-264" bug is.

Overall it does look very promising though.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 09:43 PM

Build 5F24 solves the inability to sleep problem when a PCI expansion card like the ACARD 6260M (ATA66 I/F) is installed. Now I can use an internal Creative 5X DVD-ROM drive (pulled from a peecee) as an external drive (sits on top and connected to ACARD6260M via flat cable out through an open expansion slot blanking plate) to watch DVDs. ( I bought the G4+ 733 MHz model with a CD-R not the Superdrive.)
This Creative DVD-ROM (model 5240E-1) drive is supported by both Apple's DVD player and Roxio's Toast Titanium (both under 9.1). Looks a bit weird but functional!

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: rocky2 ]

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2001, 09:52 PM

Well, I installed 5F24 on my G4/533/768 on a second internal hard drive I borrowed from a PC. Everything seems great except that any minimizing effect (genie or scale) is extremely slow and jerky. When apps enter and exit from the dock they are like this as well. Any ideas why?
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2001, 10:07 PM

No battery support visible. No way to see current battery charge. No application, no dockling, no preference. 
Actually, there is a very elegant way of knowing your battery stauts...remeber those cool System Menus that Steve showed in the keynote? (those little icons for the toolbar)
You can use �em! just go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ and there they are, just double click on any. There�s one item for Airport, Battery, Modem, etc. Those menu extras are really nice!

Other thing you can do, is still use the old battery dockling, from a previous Mac OS X install.

I love this build, everything is snappy, app launch times are considerably improved and resizing is almost like Steve�s in my 500 Mhz Pismo. But sadly, the only thing that stops me from using 5F24 as my main OS for now is the lack of sleep in my PowerBook
I never shut it down, so with this build i�m screwed

It�s not likely, but if anyone knows a solution for this 'Insomnia' problem in PowerBooks (I really don�t know if other desktop Macs suffer the same problem) please post the way of fixing it...

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
<STRONG>

Actually, there is a very elegant way of knowing your battery stauts...remeber those cool System Menus that Steve showed in the keynote? (those little icons for the toolbar)
You can use �em! just go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ and there they are, just double click on any. There�s one item for Airport, Battery, Modem, etc. Those menu extras are really nice!

</STRONG>
ARENA,

Thanks for the info on the menu extras. I wonder how you're supposed to normally get the battery info to show? Sorry to see that you're seeing the same sleep problem I am. It's the main issue I have with using this release.
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 11:17 PM

also -

1. has anyone got console.app to work? /var/tmp/console.log no longer exists, and nothing is being logged.

2. does anyone's Project Builder work with this build?

just some problems I'm experiencing and wondering if it's the way I installed, or if it's universal to everyone using this build.

-uD

dtc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 11:42 PM

So much for the Cocoa advantage huh??

Originally posted by Aldie G:
<STRONG>I forgot to post the bouncemarks...

This is on an iBook 500 mhz and 384 MB RAM. These results are after prebinding on both OS'ses:

Application: 10.0.4, 1st - 2th launch ----- 10.1, 1st - 2th launch

Sys. prefs: 4 - 3 ----- 3 - 2
TextEdit: 3 - 2 ----- 2 - 1.5
Preview: 3 - 2 ----- 2 - 1.5

Explorer: 14 - 8 ----- 6 - 3
Mail: 6 - 4 ------ 3 - 2
Quicktime: 8 - 5 ----- 4 - 3
Sherlock: 4 - 2 ----- 1 - 1

iTunes: 11 - 8 ----- 6 - 4
Appleworks: 6 - 4 ----- 3 - 2

As you can see, almost all apps are launching twice as fast now in OS X 10.1

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Aldie G ]</STRONG>

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 11:43 PM

don't know if anyone has said this yet:

window resizing in i.e. still sucks beans. if you ask me window resizing in this i.e. is just the same as in the 10.0.4 one.

also, when an applications needs your attention but its on the background (say you're using iTunes but i.e. in the background encountered an error it needs you to okay), the icon bounces in the dock really, really high to get your attention. its kind of interesting. at first i thought i.e. had crashed and it was going crazy in the back but it just wanted me to okay some security window

another thing, my console.app doesn't work either.

last thing, i think i agree with most of you in that this build is much, much better than 10.0.4.

-bm
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

<Anim8r>
Jul 27, 2001, 12:00 AM

Hi all. I was trying the workaround that was posted in this forum earlier today. I have a G4 Cube 450, and I guess my machine is hanging during the Single User start ? I get all the way to where it says IOKernel Debugger present then it stops. Does it take a bit to get past this part ? I did see, however the instructions on mounting the drive, so I figure it was done. Can anyone please help me with this ? Thanks in advance.

highfalutin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 12:25 AM

Hey there,

My first thought when 5F24 loaded up: "Now we're getting somewhere."

10.1 is going to be what Apple SHOULD have released back in March. Like most of the others on this board, I am suitably impressed with the direction X is going.

I can also confirm the sleep issue on my TiBook 400. Annoying.

Stability is shockingly good for a build of unknown quality (or origin, for that matter). The Finder has crashed a few times, but no worse than it did in 10.0.4 and one HELL of a lot better than 5F7.

App launch times are good, but not spectacular. Steve must have been using the highest-end G4 he could get his hands on, or some super-secret build that we aren't seeing yet. I'm betting the former. Window resizing is better, but not mind-blowing. List view is finally something that can be used instead of avoided at all costs. Still haven't quite got the "select-as-you-type" bug out yet (scroll to the bottom of a long list and start typing the name of a file at the beginning. It will get close, but not all the way to the top.)

One thing that is scaring me (even though I know this is a very early and reasonably untested build) is that apps seem to be breaking. Has anyone gotten AIM or TimbuktuX to work? I sure haven't.

QuickTime performance is nearly at OS 9 levels, thank God. Pre-10.1 it was completely unusuable for me. Had to boot into 9 if I really wanted to watch an MOV.

The menu bar extras are quite nice, both visually and functionally. At first they feel a little "tacked on" compared to the rest of the Aqua interface, but their sheer usefulness won me over in about 15 seconds (especially when I found out the clock could become an icon in the menu bar as well - hard to read, but very chic).

Overall performance is considerably increased. I will be happy using this as my full-time OS once the final version comes out. Hurry up, September, and bring on OfficeX with you!

Yours,
Highfalutin

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 12:51 AM

A few more observations I don't think people have noticed yet:

1) The menu bar icons can be moved around just like toolbar items in the finder. Use the command key. Dragging them off works too.
2) I don't know if this feature was in 10.0.4 or not, but when you double click on a folder in column mode it opens the folder in icon mode.
3) There are craploads of new printer drivers (Looks like Canon and Epson really stepped up to the plate)
4) Using the pro-keyboard volume contols brings up a very cool transparent volume control.
5) The Installer is much improved speedwise. (The log is also much much better)
6) The alert icon has changed.

Overall speed is INCREDIBLE (G4/400). The Finder is ultra-responsive (90%+ in relation to OS9, resizing is still slightly off but not my much). Menus are instant. No typing delays whatsoever. When switching apps/windows, they update instantly (become active). Most apps seem to idle at about half the processor power they used to (iTunes is MUCH improved in this area). IE and OmniWeb no longer max out the processor when loading a page- and opening apps barely even pushes the processor over 75%. The window manager is also lighter on the processor. Double bouncing dock icons is also cool. I like the new login window better than both 10.0.4 and 5F7.

Overall, stupendious and much, much more processor efficent.

Go, go Apple!

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 01:14 AM

ARENA,Thanks for the info on the menu extras. I wonder how you're supposed to normally get the battery info to show? Sorry to see that you're seeing the same sleep problem I am. It's the main issue I have with using this release.
I thnk that in the final release of 10.1, all this menu extras will be available in the system preferences, or somewhere where they�re easy to activate.
No average user will think in navigate through all the system file to the .../CoreServices/Menu Extras just to use them.

4) Using the pro-keyboard volume contols brings up a very cool transparent volume control.
Those things are just beautiful !
Home much syle in this OS!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 01:55 AM

New printer drivers?? Can someone check for SP700 (or similar) from Epson?? Please
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

<late blue screen fix>
Jul 27, 2001, 02:01 AM

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, i didn't realize others were having the problem. Boot into single user mode and mount your harddrive with 'mount -uw /' and then type 'find / -name 'intro.mov' -print'. Once you find the file, rename it to something else like 'intro1.mov' and you're all set. I spent all night looking for a way to fix it. I thought it was just a semi-f*ed up install. I guess it's too little too late.

torifile
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 02:23 AM

Unfortunately, Project Builder and webobjects don't work in this build for me either. If they worked and sleep was a little more reliable, I'd never use 10.0.4 again. Anyone else notice the cool way the screen dims before going black? And it sort of fades back in when you wake it up. Very

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2001, 04:38 AM

question for everyone with sleep problems (I haven't even tried yet...)

Are you having trouble sleeping:
1. when 9.1 is loaded in classic
2. when 9.1 is loaded in classic with app(s) running
3. when 9.2 is loaded in classic
4. when 9.2 is loaded in classic with app(s) running
5. without classic running

And
A. On a laptop
B. On a desktop/mt

I'd like to see if we can narrow the field down and figure out the commonalities in the sleeping problems.

-uD

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: udecker ]

DasDaSein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by udecker:
<STRONG>
I'd like to see if we can narrow the field down and figure out the commonalities in the sleeping problems.
</STRONG>
Sleep works fine on my Lombard 400, well sort of... no more sound after wake up.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>New printer drivers?? Can someone check for SP700 (or similar) from Epson?? Please </STRONG>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> [localhost:~] root% ls -al /Library/Printers/EPSON
total <font color = blue>0</font>
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>15</font> root admin <font color = blue>466</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> .
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>8</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Jul <font color = blue>4</font> <font color = blue>22</font>:<font color = blue>31</font> ..
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>11</font> root admin <font color = blue>330</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> Libraries
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> PM3500C.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> PM720C.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> PM780C.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> PM880C.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> PM900C.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> SC680.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> SC740.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> SC760.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> SC777.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> SC860.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> SC880.plugin
drwxrwxr-x <font color = blue>3</font> root admin <font color = blue>264</font> Mar <font color = blue>8</font> <font color = blue>10</font>:<font color = blue>00</font> Utilities
[localhost:~] root%
</font>[/code]

<Vide>
Jul 27, 2001, 09:45 AM

Sleep issue:

OK - so if you put your computer to sleep, the HD doesnlt spin down, and the screen goes black - but won;t come back from sleep.

BUT - if you leave the computer alone for a while, it goes to sleep properly, then wakes up fine. I think it took 30minutes - which is the default setting for full sleep in energy saver. I think this must be the problem...

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2001, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by highfalutin:
<STRONG>

One thing that is scaring me (even though I know this is a very early and reasonably untested build) is that apps seem to be breaking. Has anyone gotten AIM or TimbuktuX to work? I sure haven't.

Yours,
Highfalutin</STRONG>
i think the problem is that these apps were meant to work with 10.0.4 not 10.1. oh yeah, to answer your q, i can't get them to work either (well at least aim as i have not tried timbuktux).
brown is sweeter

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2001, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by foobars:
<STRONG>A few more observations I don't think people have noticed yet:

2) I don't know if this feature was in 10.0.4 or not, but when you double click on a folder in column mode it opens the folder in icon mode.

Go, go Apple!</STRONG>
in the finder preferences there is an option called: keep a window's view the same when opening other folders in the window.

if you don't check this it will open new folders in icon view by default.
brown is sweeter

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2001, 01:35 PM

<STRONG>A few more observations I don't think people have noticed yet:

Overall speed is INCREDIBLE (G4/400). The Finder is ultra-responsive (90%+ in relation to OS9, resizing is still slightly off but not my much). Menus are instant. No typing delays whatsoever. When switching apps/windows, they update instantly (become active).
</STRONG>
Man I can't wait until September now. I have a similiar machine (G4 350 Sawtooth with 512mb of RAM) and 10.0.4 makes it feel like an old 604e. I can't wait to have a usable and snappy OS X.
Regards,
Dave

<Covered Paige>
Jul 27, 2001, 01:49 PM

Is there a "Cover Page" feature yet for the print center? We have it under OS 9 for laserwriter printers and we should have it for X as well. Very important in clustered environments. If it isn't there, ask apple for it via their os x feedback page.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>
Man I can't wait until September now. I have a similiar machine (G4 350 Sawtooth with 512mb of RAM) and 10.0.4 makes it feel like an old 604e. I can't wait to have a usable and snappy OS X.</STRONG>
Yes I think we sub-500mhz G4 users really lucked out. Our machines are 2+ years old and are going to be just as responsive as the latest hardware when it comes to everyday tasks.

iloveOSX
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2001, 02:17 PM

mmmm snapiness....

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2001, 02:24 PM

just a short note: localization is very buggy (no Apple Menu etc. at least with german as default language).
(and yes, I know that it�s work in progress, I just wanted to let you know)

cu.

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2001, 04:38 PM

<STRONG>Overall speed is INCREDIBLE (G4/400). The Finder is ultra-responsive (90%+ in relation to OS9.....

Go, go Apple!</STRONG>
Interesting, I'm about to burn it to CD and install... Let's see....

But if 9.1 had only 90% of 9.0's speed, we wouldn't call it 'incredible' would we?
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

iloveOSX
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2001, 06:02 PM

if OS 9.1 had all the features of OSX we would....

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 27, 2001, 07:25 PM

Hey, remember when 'MOSRA' was reporting on 4K83... About how this build was built for speed, but not stability?

Maybe, just maybe... that was one of the first Puma builds?

JohnKy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 07:36 PM

I finally got 10.1 installed and running. I like it a lot..very nice.

Sam Agnew
Jul 27, 2001, 08:18 PM

Another pirate reports in. My iBook 366 was unusable with 128MB RAM. Now I can use it. No burner so I had to do the ASR spare partition trick. Booted from installer but it would never install. Booted from my 10.0.4 partition and double-clicked the osinstall.mpkg file and that worked. No end of probs with all permissions set to user that should be root (like System, /bin, etc....) fixed manually using my working system as a guide. Copied my User folder over from 10.0.4 and very pleased. Tried to save space with aliases but they still don't work in Terminal. Used symlinks instead and hoorah! Finder now understands symlinks!! Very nice and responsive so far with no crashes but I haven't brought out Classic yet...
----
Sam Agnew

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 12:42 PM

Ok...so i'm a unix idiot... How do I mount it as Read Write...someone explained this earlier but...knowing me i srewed it up... anyway.. How do I mount it as Read Write...

I can't find AppleSetupDone. Anyone please help!!!!

Thanks
G4 Cube Owner :-)

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Daniel Canaris&gt;:
<STRONG>Hey, remember when 'MOSRA' was reporting on 4K83... About how this build was built for speed, but not stability?

Maybe, just maybe... that was one of the first Puma builds?</STRONG>
At the same time as the 4k83 rumors were floating, 5x rumors were also floating.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2001, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by wclarkson:
<STRONG>Ok...so i'm a unix idiot... How do I mount it as Read Write...someone explained this earlier but...knowing me i srewed it up... anyway.. How do I mount it as Read Write...

I can't find AppleSetupDone. Anyone please help!!!!

Thanks</STRONG>
Tsk, tsk! A moderator engaging in piracy? Misha would never approve.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 01:41 PM

its not mine!!!!n I swear ...its for a friend of mine who can't get on the internet....

Any help would be greatly appreciated by my friend

<sucka-free>
Jul 28, 2001, 02:58 PM

So far 5f24 has been great for me... boots up faster than 9, overall system performance is almost as snappy as 9, resizing and menus very usable, all this on a 500Mhz imac se...

Now for the bad news. I cant get IE, mail or any other program to recognize my internet connectiont. I'm using pacbell dsl through PPPoE... the internet connect app tells me I'm connected but IE refuses to load any pages. I'm guessing PPPoE isn't broken in this build since this same problem isn't all over the boards, so whats up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as right now my sparkling, snappy new build is pretty much useless

JohnKy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2001, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by wclarkson:
Any help would be greatly appreciated by my friend [/QB]
what they posted up there worked for me..after I attempted twice. Not very clear instructions. Here is how i did it.

when you boot into Single user mode, after all that writing goes by and it stops..near the end...READ what it says.
First you must type in something along the lines of FSCK -Y then hit Return. (those aren't exact letters..it looks like that though.) forgot to say that the FSCK or whatever will be on your screen..look for it near the bottom

then type in mount -uw hit return

then type in touch /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone and hit return (note..space between touch and /private and note the caps letters in AppleSetupDone..not sure if it's important or not)

type reboot and boot off of CD (holding down C)

what the others forgot to tell you is that when you reboot onto the CD, go under FILE and choose Password Reset and enter new password

Reboot...and this is where mine varied from Mr Todhunter..I never got to the splash screen..nothing happened but blue screen. So...

I booted back off of CD and followed #8 of his step: Now when the install CD has booted just install the BSD subsystem (no clean install this time,of course). You are unable to uncheck the first 2 choices but that is alright.

and it will install!

&lt;edited in to add about the FSCK info&gt;

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: JohnKy ]

JB72
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 11:04 PM

So 5F24 is the most recent build floating around freely?

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2001, 11:14 PM

As far as I or my friend are aware yes. 5G builds were seeded but to whom..I have no idea... There are also referren to in the darwin bug reports, so they do exist...and apparentyly have DVD in them....we'll just have to wait and see what comes up.

Apple is very tight...so we'll have to wait and C.

<G3BlueBoy>
Jul 29, 2001, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by ARENA:

I love this build, everything is snappy, app launch times are considerably improved and resizing is almost like Steve�s in my 500 Mhz Pismo. But sadly, the only thing that stops me from using 5F24 as my main OS for now is the lack of sleep in my PowerBook
I never shut it down, so with this build i�m screwed

It�s not likely, but if anyone knows a solution for this 'Insomnia' problem in PowerBooks (I really don�t know if other desktop Macs suffer the same problem) please post the way of fixing it...[/QB]
I have a pismo 400 with 5F24 installed. Sleep DOES work, BUT, it takes a while. When I put the screen down, it goes black. Then about 45 seconds later, give or take, the hard drive shuts off and the green light blinks at me again. On my imac and B&W, sleep is instant though, don't know why.

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 06:07 AM

Originally posted by &lt;G3BlueBoy&gt;:
<STRONG>Sleep DOES work, BUT, it takes a while....</STRONG>

same on my Cube. Wake up also takes longer but when it�s up you can use it instantly (unlike 10.0.x where the screen shows up instantly but you�d had to wait for HD to spin up again etc.)

cu.

Forum Links
Forum Rules