Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Drunken PowerBook - will an OS reinstall help?

Drunken PowerBook - will an OS reinstall help?
BenN
Aug 30, 2004, 01:01 AM

A few weeks ago, I split Chuhai (Japanese spirits & mixer) over my 15" AlBook`s keyboard & trackpad. Yes, I was an idiot, and have kicked myself many times since then.

Miraculously, after a few days drying out, my PB came out of its coma, and since then has worked pretty much as before. This is just as well, because getting it repaired would have cost almost as much as a replacement (according to the Ginza Apple store, anyway).

It does have a few `quirks`, which I guess I can live with:

- The keyboard mechanism sounds `crunchy` when I depress the keys, but seeing as I use an external keyboard now, I don`t notice it.

- It has problems with power management - the PB will frequently wake itself up from sleep, but on the other hand sometimes refuses to wake up if its not connected to the mains power supply (even though the battery still has some juice left).

-------------------------------------

But this past weekend, my PB developed a new form of dementia, and I`m not sure if its hardware-related (due to the spillage), or some software corruption.

The main symptoms are as follows:

1) Switching between open apps causes the foremost app to be hidden.

2) Using right-click button on my mouse no longer brings up contextual menu (this only happens sometimes).

3) When a menu (contextual or otherwise) is opened, the text for some options will flicker.

4) Mousing-over webpage URLs (using either IE or Safari) results in the URL address flickering in the web browser window status bar; clicking on the URL downloads the link (i.e. it doesn`t open the link).

5) Booting always goes to the blue boot-volume selection screen (i.e. it seems to forget my boot volume preferences).

6) Booting into single-user mode results in the keyboard not working (i.e. I can`t fsck the disk).

I`ve tried fixing permissions & running the 10.3.5 updater; my PB then temporarily goes back to normal, before quickly resuming its oddness. I also ran the Apple Hardware Test CD, but it didn`t pick up any hardware problems.

So, now I`m thinking of wiping the disk, and doing a clean install. I guess it may well be caused by my little accident, but it does seem strange that this new behaviour only started now - my PB has been working more-or-less fine for about a month (after the accident) until now.

Any ideas?
PowerBook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 5400rpm 80GB HDD
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 512MB, 7200rpm 120GB HDD, GigaDesigns Blue LED 80mm fan
AirMac Extreme network, connected to my FTTH (100Mb/s) phat pipe 8)

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 01:51 AM

It does sound like a good idea to do a wipe and reinstall.
Those problems do sound like software problems--it would be very odd for hardware to be affecting things like links flickering.
Try doing a clean install and see if the problem persists.

As for the keyboard and power problems -- those would probably need a new keyboard and new power management chip, respectively. That will cost you a decent amount, although I can't give you any numbers. The local Apple Store could, though.

BenN  (op)
Aug 30, 2004, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I did a wipe & reinstall of 10.3.5, but unfortunately it hasn`t solved these problems. I`m beginning to suspect that I need a new keyboard; interestingly, if I hold down the Option key, the URL & Menu flickering stops.

I`ve just ordered a replacement keyboard from pbparts.com; it costs $159 + shipping, which isn`t too bad. I`m going to have a go at installing the keyboard myself; its certainly going to be expensive to get someone else to do that here.

As far as disassembly guides go, I`m aware of this one; can anyone advise of any other similar guides?

Thanks!
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 512MB, 7200rpm 120GB HDD, GigaDesigns Blue LED 80mm fan

K-Bat
Aug 30, 2004, 10:21 PM

Chuhai is a good stuff, but I feel for you.

You should be able to find & download the "service source" for your PB model in this page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

Best of luck.

K-Bat

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2004, 10:25 PM

I also reccomend the Apple Service Manuals that K-Bat linked to. The only problem I've noticed with these is that they assume you know somethings, seeing as they are meant for Apple Certified Technicians. Its not a big deal, just a few places you may be a bit confused or where it goes too fast. Despite this, they still seem to be the best (and official) source for taking apart Apples.
( Last edited by anamexis; Aug 30, 2004 at 11:31 PM. )

BenN  (op)
Aug 30, 2004, 10:41 PM

Thanks a lot - I`ll check those out.

Frankly, I`m amazed that my PB works at all, considering the alcohol-and-sugary-liquid bath it got. At the time, I thought I`d killed it; it crashed hard, the display went black, and the power light flickered wildly and then died.

If I can make it good-as-new by just replacing the keyboard, I`ll count myself very lucky.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 31, 2004, 10:45 AM

By the time I finished reading your first post, I already had an idea as to what's wrong: everything you describe indicates that it's intermittently connecting the Option key. You can probably remove the keyboard and very carefully wash everything out and then let it dry and you'd be OK. If not, replace the keyboard (DON'T THROW OUT THE OLD ONE!! Sell or give away the key caps to those who need them!)

tooki

BenN  (op)
Aug 31, 2004, 08:00 PM

My new keyboard is on the way; looking at the service manual, replacing the keyboard looks pretty fiddly, so I`m going to take it slow & careful this weekend. Wish me luck!

I plan to post step-by-step pics of the process.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 10:26 PM

Make sure you have the right tools! I know you need a Phillips #0, I'm not sure about the Torx T8 for just the keyboard.

BenN  (op)
Sep 4, 2004, 10:59 PM

My new keyboard from PB Parts.com arrived yesterday:

Installing wasn't too hard; the trickiest parts were hooking a metal tab through the optical drive slot to ge the top cover off, and then detaching the keyboard cable connector from the logic board. Here's my PB open for surgery:

Installing the new keyboard seems to have fixed almost all of the weirdness that I was experiencing; definitely worth doing, especially considering how much Apple wanted to charge me to repair the PB.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Sep 5, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
By the time I finished reading your first post, I already had an idea as to what's wrong: everything you describe indicates that it's intermittently connecting the Option key. You can probably remove the keyboard and very carefully wash everything out and then let it dry and you'd be OK. If not, replace the keyboard (DON'T THROW OUT THE OLD ONE!! Sell or give away the key caps to those who need them!)

tooki
wow, very nice observation. those are all symptoms of a screwed up option key option key.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

gbarill
Sep 5, 2004, 03:04 PM

that's what i was gonna say, since what you spilled on your keyboard wasn't water, when it dries it leaves a residue (i've seen this happen with apple juice, coke, etc.) that screws with the connections and causes craziness in the behaviour of the keyboard. a good cleaning may have worked just as well as a replacement, but since you've already done the replacement, doesn't matter now. guess you can just enjoy the new keyboard...

Forum Links
Forum Rules