Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > INSIDE INFO ***must read*** G4 Speeds

INSIDE INFO ***must read*** G4 Speeds (Page 2)
mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 05:51 PM

You better (sic) do some more research. Not me. I am not out of 10th grade, I am a sophmore in college.
ROTFLMAO. When I first posted my message, I called you a sophmore and said that since you were from the US I couldn't be sure from your spelling whether that was from high school or college. Thought I was being a bit mean spirited so I deleted that but thanks for playing right into my hands .

Let's face it though, even if you are telling the truth your "friend" is certainly well on his/her way to being "Steved" now. Just go ask "workerbee" about that. Good one, but that's just my two "sense".

catman

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 06:38 AM

if yall want to know what the next g4 specs are just hit up dorsal. he doesnt bull**** around.

Outsider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 11:34 AM

I have to admit. Dorsal was pretty spot on with his information for the 2001 G4's introduced last January. He nailed the speeds, bus speed, motherboard info and a special surprise that turned out to be a 4th PCI slot.

Macintosh
Banned
Jul 9, 2001, 11:49 AM

Well here is the iMac info. Will be an LCD. The speed of it will range from 533MHz to 667MHz.(G4 of course). bus speed is 133Mhz. 20-40gig hard drive. combo drives in all. Enclosure is going to be very cool. Combo of colored plastics and brushed aluminium. Possibly a iMacLE(Limited Edition), different enclosure, Faster G4, superdrive, 17" wide-screen lcd, 512megs RAM, 80gig HD. $2500+. Dont believe me, then wait till MWNY.
This Princeton boy seems pretty damn stupid to me. I am in 10th grade for real and I know that these iMac specs are too outrageous to be correct. I do not see a 17-inch widescreen for the simple reason that Apple does not produce such a screen. It would cost way too much to do a 17-inch wide-screen on an iMac, even at $2,500 it is too much. A G4? Wow, maybe but again costly. 80 Gig HD, No. Superdrive, LOL, not gonna happen. Superdrives are a;ready too much on the high end PowerMacs and in limited supply.

Its better to appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Go back to college and study or something. Supply chain management.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2001, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by ion:
<STRONG>if yall want to know what the next g4 specs are just hit up dorsal. he doesnt bull**** around.</STRONG>
Great ... now we just have to get him to post here. (Maybe if AI stays down long enough he'll come over on his own volition.)
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

<bozo the clown>
Jul 9, 2001, 12:10 PM

Rhon,

Even if every word you write is the gospel truth, you are a moron.

Love,
Bozo

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2001, 03:04 PM

I do not see a 17-inch widescreen for the simple reason that Apple does not produce such a screen.
Well, Apple does not produce any LCDs itself. It purchases the LCDs from Samsung, etc, and then outsources the addition of the frame.

However, I agree, there is no way an Imac will feature a 17-inch screen. AFAIK, nobody even manufactures a ~17" widescreen LCD, except for SGI. More likely, the new iMacs will use 15" LCDs, which will be a significant improvement over their current 13.8" viewable CRT screens.

There isn't really much difference in cost between the slower G3s and G4s, so I would expect new iMacs to use a G4 in the 450-666MHz range. Apple could have used G4s in previous iMacs, but they wanted customers to spend more money on their G4 tower systems. The new desktop G4 systems will probably include 733, dual 733, and 866MHz configurations (maybe a 933 announced, but not yet available?).

Ken

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2001, 10:04 PM

Looks like our man Fitz sent an e-mail to macrumors.com, who immediately printed it on their front page.

Dontcha just love the rumor biz?

Who wants to send their guesses to macrumors next?

Get Cubed
Jul 9, 2001, 10:13 PM

Didn't Fitz admit that he got this info from Schiller Fat who himself admitted that he made it all up?

Get Cubed

Macintosh
Banned
Jul 9, 2001, 11:04 PM

didnt he get it from fritz who himself admitted to making it all up?
LOLOLOL, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Don't you know? I am Schiller Fat from A.I. I am the Jim Carry of the boards. I take on multiple personalitys and perspectives to get a rise out of people. Just ask PSCATES.

Though I am always serious at MACNN, hence the post count.

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 9, 2001, 11:09 PM

~Peace~

Macintosh
Banned
Jul 9, 2001, 11:23 PM

Whats so bodhi?

<Oddjob>
Jul 9, 2001, 11:27 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet but, try OddjobThis
These pics appear to be genuine. Comments welcome.
By the way, I have no affiliation with the photographer of the pics or the website itself. I am merely passing it on.

Oddjob

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2001, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Oddjob&gt;:
<STRONG>Not sure if this has been posted yet but, try OddjobThis
These pics appear to be genuine. Comments welcome.
By the way, I have no affiliation with the photographer of the pics or the website itself. I am merely passing it on.

Oddjob</STRONG>
Hmm. There's something about those pictures that doesn't look quite right but I can't put my finger on it. If those are real, then it's a huge let down. First, it looks like there is only 1 5.25" bay and the design is virtually unchanged and I think looks worse than the existing G4s. That front panel just looks like it's covered with construction paper. I guess we'll see in a little over a week. If those are in fact the cases, my sawooth will keep looking better and better.
Regards,
Dave

Get Cubed
Jul 10, 2001, 12:30 AM

Everything about those pictures is wrong. Jeez. That's the worst thing I've ever seen in my whole life including all Windows PCs. Good thing its a fake and an obvious one at that.

Get Cubed

<Macster465>
Jul 10, 2001, 06:00 AM

Gees, can't we all just shut up and get along...MWNY is only a week away, and we're doing nothing but bickering and threatening...

Just SHUT UP EVERYONE!!

Oh, and that was pretty stupid of Rhon...expect your Princeton friend to lose his job at Apple if this get's much publicity (hehe, I know that's been said plenty already, but let's rub it in ) ...

Though I do hope that there are some pretty good upgrades at MWNY, I'm not going back to PC...We also have a PC, and constantly having problems with it...yet, my little Rev. A iMac/233/160, due for an upgrading (I'm hoping to get the newest revision iMac after MWNY), has little problems, something that can be easily fixed by a novice...if any at all...

Also, MacOS Rumors is where i first got this...

mikerally
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 07:47 AM

What is all this moaning about G4 Bus speed?

I hear some people on here asking for Apple to bump the speed from 133Mhz to 166 and 266 etc?

Do you even understand anything about Bus speeds?

A typical Athlon System today, has a 133Mhz bus running through the motherboard, and that is the maximum speed I know for the main bus to go.

However Athlon systems do support DDR (Double Data Rate) Ram, which allows them to achieve double the access speed by allowing access twice per cycles, in effect doubling the RAM speed from 133 to 266.

Now, in order to accomodate the extra speed in RAM access, the Athlon has something called a FSB (Front Side Bus) which links the processor directly to the main memory, allowing the processor to access the main memory independently of the main bus (still running at 133), this (along with the Back Side Bus for Cache) is what I've been taught as the Von Newman Architecture.

So it is only the FSB to main memory is effectively running at 266Mhz.

So what you guys are really asking for, is for Apple to add DDR RAM and double the speed of the FSB. Of course this is quite an architectural issue, and may require the processor to support it.

What you shouldn't be asking, is for Apple to double the speed of the motherboard BUS, when in reality there is nothing faster than 133Mhz.

[email protected]  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 08:58 AM

Okay people. The deal with the 17" iMac... I never said they were coming out with one for sure. I said that there was a possibility that they would, but now I am leaning against it as more info becomes available. There is however a good chance you will see it come out late this year or early 2002. It will be a Anniversary/LE model. There have been 17" widescreen iMacs spotted at Apple before, so dont ever rule anything out.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2001, 09:45 AM

Time to stir up more rumor gumbo:

This site rumors that there'll be no LCD iMac at all at MWNY....

While As the Apple Turns divines that 866mhz is the top G4...

And so it goes...
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 10:06 AM

A typical Athlon System today, has a 133Mhz bus running through the motherboard, and that is the maximum speed I know for the main bus to go.
Well, Athlons are most popular among the DIY folks. Virtually all the most popular Athlon motherboards will run rock solid to 155-165MHz FSB (configurable through simple menu), for a 310-330MHz memory bus with standard Crucial DDR memory. If you go over to Ars or Hardocp, you'll see than a high percentage of posters do this.

Everything about those pictures is wrong. Jeez. That's the worst thing I've ever seen in my whole life including all Windows PCs. Good thing its a fake and an obvious one at that.
Believe what you may, but those images look real to me. The new PowerMac G4s incorporate an improved speaker system and the new on-over "Cube" power switch, and you see both in those shots. I have my doubts whether the side of the case will be translucent, but we shall see.

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 10:06 AM

Here is the only confirmed info I have. I don't know about low end or high end but here are some point that will be made at the keynote about the dual 800MHz G4.

11.8 gigaflops
83% faster than 1.7 GHz pentium

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: InterfaceGuy ]

<anon>
Jul 10, 2001, 10:07 AM

poor clueless 'luxfero'...
noone really cares if you go to windoze.

hardware is cheap and YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
OS IS GENERIC AND " " ".

the mac os is designed from the start to work Flawlessly with one brand of hardware. windoze is designed to be generic, and 'spread evenly like mayonaisse' over THOUSANDS of peecee mobo/bios/component combinations.
why is this relevant?

if you were designing a transmission for a car, and wanted a reliable, bulletproof design, would it be easier to design a transmission for one specific car, or to design one that worked well for ALL CARS produced?
(lets see how much common sense you have. i suspect not much.)
THAT IS WHY WINDOWS IS *****NOWHERE NEAR****** AS ELEGANT AS A MAC.

I say, good day to you, windoze l-users. that is all you are.
macs make the technology work for you. peecees make you work for the technology. (make sure you add extensions to all your files so the peecee knows which app. to use to open it; have fun with dll's and irq's, and editing the registry. these are all (clunky) mechanisms to try and make up for the lack of built-in intelligence in the OS.)

have fun with your 20+ year-old dos based technology.

cjmarch

[email protected]  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 10:10 AM

So these other sites are saying that there isnt going to be an LCD iMac and no G4 above 866MHz. Its BULL! Don't believe any of this. There def. will be a LCD iMac. Although, the one site listed above does make a valid point, Apple can't risk the chace of losing any market. The wont just update the colors and add a new GeForce2 just for external monitor capability. How many people actually would use that. I know I havnt ever had that desire with my iMac.
As for 866MHz being the top dog in the PowerMac, that is also highly unlikely. You will def. see the G4 be in the 900MHz+ range in 7 days. Again Apple knows they are behind. They have taken drastic measures to make sure they could ship atleast 900MHz by MWNY. Apple has sunk big bucks in Moto. you havnt seen much use of that yet, but come MWNY you will see what that money went to.
Dont get your hopes down. Steve Jobs is going to deliver one heck of a keynote come next Tuesday.

miro7
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 10:57 AM

I find it highly unlikely for Apple to increase the bus speed of mobo to anything above 133mhz for the reason that there is not certified RAM speed higher than 133 (although as pointed out, most will run comfortably at speeds around 150-160mhz). The next move for RAM would be one of two ways, to RDRAM or DDR SDRAM. I doubt the former because it is higher priced, runs hotter, and is generally not well received within the market. The latter makes more sense as the components already run at 133mhz and the common speed (modified for the data rate access on the rise and fall of the clock) is 266mhz for DDR RAM. However, Apple needs to jump on the bus with regard to RAM speed to keep competitive technology in all other components while the CPU hobbles to keep up in shear mhz.

As for a 17" LCD? That would be like another Cube fiasco where Apple would price themselves right out of the market. A 17" widescreen LCD would likely cost the enduser around $1300-$1500 (using SGIs 17.3" LCD as reference) despite Apple's relationship with Samsung. I imagine that a radical enclosure will be appropriate, perhaps adding Nvidia based graphics GF2MX (NForce would be sweet) which will keep it from performing higher than the G4 with GF3 or Radeon. I imagine that if an LCD iMac is going to be produced, it would use a 14" screen which is actually larger than the current iMac 15" monitor (13.8" viewable). Cost would still be high for the 14", but still not as unreasonable as the 17" LCD (maybe a version like that would fill the specialty market that the Cube gap leaves).

As for G4 clock speeds, I imagine that they will be pushing 933. All the multiples of clock speed are at least going to coincide with the 133 bus speed. I think that the return of duals across the board (or as the 533 was done to keep supplies in stock--only the mid level) if the clock speed is only bumped to 866. I think that you will see a standardization on the 7450 with improvements in scheduling from various compilers to make sure that performance is much more competitive than the when the 7450 was first introduced.

Enough speculation from me now, I'll wait until Macworld. Just wanted to comment on some of the various posts here
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

applenut1
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>Time to stir up more rumor gumbo:

This site rumors that there'll be no LCD iMac at all at MWNY....

While As the Apple Turns divines that 866mhz is the top G4...

And so it goes...</STRONG>
that first site just went up friday night. it is run by a bunch of people at MacAddict's RumorMill forum.

1.) They would not have had any sources e-mail them in such a short time and no one knows about the site.
2.) they certainly don't have inside info themselves
3.) he admitted to getting the info for that report from his 8 year old sister

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2001, 11:20 AM

3.) he admitted to getting the info for that report from his 8 year old sister
Does that mean it's more or less valid than anyone else's sources?
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

<jamex>
Jul 10, 2001, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by [email protected]:
<STRONG>Steve Jobs is going to deliver one heck of a keynote come next Tuesday.</STRONG>

Wow, not only are we going to see LCD imacs and GHz G4s, but they're going to be announced 1 day early too!! LOL Well at least all his other facts are rock solid

jamex

<Eskimo>
Jul 10, 2001, 08:44 PM

Rhon, back to the first post, just nitpicking but you mispelled it just like MOSR. It's wafer not waffer.

glurx
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by applenut1:
<STRONG>
3.) he admitted to getting the info for that report from his 8 year old sister</STRONG>
She must be really smart to be working at Apple at such a young age.
Motorola: The Exception To Moore's Law

[email protected]  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 11:04 PM

quit already with the dumb posts. Dont post at if you are going write pointless crap.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by &lt;anon&gt;:
<STRONG>
if you were designing a transmission for a car, and wanted a reliable, bulletproof design, would it be easier to design a transmission for one specific car, or to design one that worked well for ALL CARS produced?</STRONG>
Car transmissions make for a poor example; the Borg-Warner T56 has served well in quite a few models of cars...

<Ronald Post>
Jul 10, 2001, 11:19 PM

<STRONG>quit already with the dumb posts. Dont post at if you are going write pointless crap.</STRONG>

macdesk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 11:25 PM

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: macdesk ]
Ryan Walker

<tripoz2>
Jul 11, 2001, 06:05 AM

All you mac users are Nazi's

tripoz2

Cipher13
Jul 11, 2001, 06:13 AM

*sigh*
More and more like AI every day...

This thread should be locked immediately.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

Jamie
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
[QB]
More and more like AI every day...
QB]
Aww I miss AI

Jamie

<TW99>
Jul 11, 2001, 01:07 PM

Didn't Dorsal mention that the bus could've been 166 or 200 MHz? Possibly they could use 150 MHz for PC2400 (DDR300) or 166 MHz for PC2700 (DD333). Of course this is all new tech, so I doubt Apple would use it . Anyone know how we could get him in here?

Jinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 01:21 PM

About the IP Adresses: I've worked with alot of UBB's as the administrator, UBB offers an option you can turn on in the control panel that will display everyone's IP Address. however I wouldnt recommend it because it tends to piss people off. Although I've never seen a UBB like this before, it's all in one script for some reason.

Anyway, I think when Apple does release they're new systems, they need to release a new tower, along with a new imac and everything. I am not fond of all in one systems like the iMac. I don't like the idea that I cannot change my monitor size later on. Like right now I have a 17" studio display, but if I ever wanted to upgrade to a 21" LCD I could, with an iMac you're stuck with what monitor you get.
Cube: 500MHz / 384mb / 30gig

[email protected]  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Jinx:
<STRONG>About the IP Adresses: I've worked with alot of UBB's as the administrator, UBB offers an option you can turn on in the control panel that will display everyone's IP Address. however I wouldnt recommend it because it tends to piss people off. Although I've never seen a UBB like this before, it's all in one script for some reason...</STRONG>
This happens to be one of the most popular BB around. I have seen it used on many many sites.

Jinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 01:55 PM

I know UBB is popular.
I'm talking about how this one is set up
everything is done in the same script
like this:
ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=reply&f=12&t=003127
normally there are severl scripts like
forumdisplay.cgi
forums.cgi
ubbmisc.cgi
ubb_library.pl
ubb_library2.pl
postings.cgi ect ect....
that why you get those stupid server overload messages or whatever, if everything is done in a different script, everyone isnt accessing the same script at the same time causing those messages.

[email protected]  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Jinx:
<STRONG>I know UBB is popular.
I'm talking about how this one is set up
everything is done in the same script
like this:
ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=reply&f=12&t=003127
normally there are severl scripts like
forumdisplay.cgi
forums.cgi
ubbmisc.cgi
ubb_library.pl
ubb_library2.pl
postings.cgi ect ect....
that why you get those stupid server overload messages or whatever, if everything is done in a different script, everyone isnt accessing the same script at the same time causing those messages.</STRONG>
You would still get those "stupid" server overload messages even if this was broken down into 1000 seperate scripts. They all run on the same server.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2001, 02:13 PM

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but the three Power Mac G4 modelss released at MWNY will be a 733MHz, a 867MHz and a Dual 800MHz (11.8 GFlops).

Codename: P57
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

[email protected]  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 02:22 PM

JLL, why are you so sure about this. Even if your speeds were right, The lowest speed processor would have dual not the highest. Sorry but you info is incorrect.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2001, 02:26 PM

<STRONG>JLL, why are you so sure about this. Even if your speeds were right, The lowest speed processor would have dual not the highest. Sorry but you info is incorrect.</STRONG>
We'll see
JLL

[email protected]  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2001, 02:33 PM

TELL US WHY YOU ARE SO CONFIDENT JLL...

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2001, 02:41 PM

<STRONG>TELL US WHY YOU ARE SO CONFIDENT JLL... </STRONG>
I have my sources who also showed me the Flower Power iMac a week before introduction and gave me the specs on the new iBook.
JLL

<joe>
Jul 11, 2001, 02:47 PM

ok if it is true, do you have any indication of the type of memory that will be used?
DDR or old ram?

MajingaZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 02:55 PM

<STRONG>TELL US WHY YOU ARE SO CONFIDENT JLL... </STRONG>

This is just way too funny. He has now entered in Furby mode. WhoTF is this kid? "tell us why you are so confident"? WTF does that mean? Geez, pathetic doesn't even start to describe it. Someone should drop the A-Bomb on Priceton at once and rm this guy ASAP.

Maybe if the MacNN people could stop logging IP info and make this board truly anonymous, maybe then we will get someone with some real info talking. But even if that happens, the real info will get lost in a sea of ****ty posts so, who cares? FMWNY is just a few days away, nothing is going to change until the 18th, everything is set on stone, so who cares?

Whatever.

MajingaZ
Koji

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2001, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by &lt;joe&gt;:
<STRONG>ok if it is true, do you have any indication of the type of memory that will be used?
DDR or old ram?</STRONG>
I don't know (yet?) but I can tell you that it seems like there will be an S-Video port on the graphics card
JLL

Jinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 03:16 PM

yeah, with multiple scripts you can put them on different servers as long as they're on the same host.

But this topic isn't about CGI
what makes you so confident?
JLL's source is just as good as yours... well maybe better since you've said who your source is...

Forum Links
Forum Rules