Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Good price for a cube

Good price for a cube
pkatt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 01:46 PM

I'm wondering what a REALLY good price for a cube would be. Will the prices ever go down, or only up? What would yopu consider a good price? Thanks.

Philip Katz

Tristrami
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 01:52 PM

A really good price for a cube wouls be one dollar.

pkatt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 02:04 PM

No really. I'm gonna make an offer and want to make a price that will be good for me since I still want a tower next year, but also good enough that I will still get it.

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2001, 02:34 PM

I think, your most likely not going to get one at a price that you would feel decent. Everything I have heard is that they are selling on Ebay for more than $900.00 or so without monitors, and more with monitors. If you look in stores like CompUSA and others they still selling for $1199.00 or more, so the realistic deal you may think your going to get may just not be there yet anyway. Also, you should be aware that what you may or may not buy is one of the older Cubes from 2000. Those are going to have expired warranties very soon, if they have not already. If you are going to buy a Tower eventually, why not save the money for the Tower and let the Cube go. It would seem the more prudent thing to do. None of of the auctions I have seen have had a Cube featured at a really low price. One other thing to consider, is though there has been no official word on it I would suspect things like the Radeon card, Nvidia card, and things that were or are made Cube specific (and there are not that many) but; I would suspect these things to slowly disappear and go away. As obviously there were not that many Cubes sold for companies to make a reasonable profit on after sale items.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2001, 02:57 PM

$1199? That must the be the old rev of Cube with 450MHz, 10GB HD, CD-ROM, and a Rage128.

If you're interested, I'm selling a brand NEW 500MHz G4 Cube with 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, DVD-ROM, 32MB nVidia GeForce2 MX, 56K Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, Pro Keybaord, Pro Mouse, and Pro Speakers (Harmon Kardon).

All for $1800. $460 savings over the Apple store after taxes. Pretty good deal. For $2100 I'll bundle it with an Apple 17" Studio monitor, still under warranty. Even WITH the monitor, that's a savings of $240 over the Apple store after taxes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

capone
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 04:24 PM

No more than $1000

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

el matteo
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by capone:
<STRONG>No more than $1000</STRONG>
good luck.

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 04:30 PM

Small dog has one cube left last time I checked...they're disappearing fast. You'll be lucky to get one at all if you don't get one soon.

Nutcase
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 04:34 PM

I'll buy one when I see it for $600 at Costco.

Jinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 05:50 PM

half.com was seeling them for $1000 with no monitor. you have to search for 'G4' though because for some reason you will get nothing if you search for 'Cube'
I think I'll keep my Cube. I have money saved for a new computer, but I'm waiting til something new comes out, no sense buying an older G4 right now.
Cube: 500MHz / 384mb / 30gig

Forum Links
Forum Rules