Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone...in the car all day heat/cold

iPhone...in the car all day heat/cold
videian28
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 11:10 AM

I have a job that does not allow devices with recording features allowed in the building, I don't want the weather to destroy my phone/battery

anyone have this problem as well, or any idea on how to maintain a decent temp in a small area for 10 hours at a time

I was thinking of some kind of thermal "pouch" or something...

ideas?

Cold Warrior
Sep 6, 2007, 11:26 AM

I'm in the same boat as you, though with a different cell phone. There are little heat packs out there -- like hand warmers for hunters -- that you might be able to put in your glove box with your phone, but maybe separating them by a few inches of cloth or something (to prevent direct contact with the heat source).

I assume you're more worried about the cold, being in VA. Your glove box or console should be good enough in the summer up there.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 11:27 AM

When you say recording what do you mean? Because if I'm thinking correctly the only 'recording' device on the iphone is for voicemail.. As for keeping it cool, that is a tough one. I hate leaving any electronics in my car because I live in Georgia where summer is 3/4 of the year! My only suggestion would be to wrap it up in some cloth (shirt, etc) and put it in your trunk or glove-box.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 6, 2007, 11:36 AM

I think he's referring to the camera.

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 11:45 AM

no photos, no item with any kind of storage capability or any type of wireless.... the phone can't come in =p

right now I just stick my (samsung, iPhone gets here today!) phone under my front seat during the summer and crack the windows.... not to bad, I think it's more the cold that worries me

some kind of non consumable using pouch or something to just not let it get to cold in the winter....

I was thinking of some kind of thermal pouch that I could leave over the heater on the commute in (one hour) and pop the iPhone in before I head in to the office. maybe that would suffice if built specifically for something like that.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 01:33 PM

Seems to me you should worry more about heat than cold: Batteries don't do well with the extreme heat that you find in a car in full summer sun. If you're parking in a covered garage, you probably don't have to worry too much.

The phone should be powered off, in any case, right? Don't want your phone ringing in an unattended car, hmm? So, if the phone is turned off in the winter and left in the car, then you just have to slip it inside your jacket and let it warm up gradually before you turn it on. Might take something like a half hour, which is no big deal: Surely it's possible to enjoy a half hour of quiet? Usually people have to worry about a cold object attracting moisture as it warms up, but it seems to me that warming up gradually inside your jacket should work just fine, provided you haven't just come from strenuous activity where you're sweating inside your jacket...

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 01:51 PM

yes the phone is always powered off in the car, I always park on the 5pm shade side of a tree

with the windows cracked and the car in the shade for about an hour before I get in it, my current phone isn't to hot by the time I get in it. Still i'm sure it gets pretty damn toasty in the early afternoon in 90-100 temp even with the windows cracked

just don't want my $400 phone cooked and frozen year round

usually when I leave them out in the car in the winter, it takes a while for the damn screen to "warm" up, has some strange colors before then heh

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2007, 04:00 PM

Well, would you put your laptop battery in an oven that gets to a pretty high temp during the peak full-sun daylight hours, even if you could program the oven to taper off in temperature just before you get off work? 'Cause that's what's happening to the cellphone batteries. Can't be good...

Forum Links
Forum Rules