Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > download music

download music
maple05
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2009, 01:40 AM

Hi i recently bought an Iphone and jail break it too.Is it possible to download music on my Iphone for free without using itunes.Thanks in advance

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2009, 03:39 AM

Sure. It's not exactly legal, but so is jailbreaking an iPhone.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2009, 08:29 AM

Legality of jailbreaking an iPhone is questionable, stealing music is most definitely illegal
~Mike

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2009, 03:25 PM

Well, I do it all the time. I also shoot up once in the morning, and before I go to bed. I drink a fifth of Jack with every bottle of Coke and I have a meth lab in the garage.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Feb 16, 2009, 03:36 PM

I think what the poster is asking is if it is possible to get music onto his iPhone without using the iTunes software--not necessarily illegally copying music (although the "for free" phrase does suggest otherwise). Some users don't want to, or can't use, iTunes (Linux users for example).

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 16, 2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I think what the poster is asking is if it is possible to get music onto his iPhone without using the iTunes software--not necessarily illegally copying music (although the "for free" phrase does suggest otherwise). Some users don't want to, or can't use, iTunes (Linux users for example).
That's how I read it, too.

Cold Warrior
Feb 16, 2009, 03:44 PM

Won't iTunes continue to work with a jailbroken device? iTunes itself is free, so the OP could just use it to link to his library of music and sync to the iPhone.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2009, 06:26 AM

I read it as "download for free without using the iTunes store". At least, that's what he wrote.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2009, 10:38 AM

I'm officially declaring this thread to be about "not using iTunes to put music on an iPhone." Now that that's settled, let's get to what the poster asked.

maple05, YES, you can use a number of non-Apple software apps to put music onto your iPhone. Note that some are "less good" at the job than others, so when you Google the subject, pay attention to things like user reviews. I don't have an iPhone to test any of these with, so that's why I'm being vague. There are bound to be other members who have tried this, and they'll come around eventually and share their experiences. I do have to ask why you don't want to use iTunes (the software). I can use iTunes to rip my CDs (and just about any other format) and not have to mess with the iTunes Music Store at all...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 4, 2009, 12:31 PM

If you want to put free music on your phone without BUYING from the iTunes Music Store, you can still do it with iTunes. Just put a CD you own into the computers CD-ROM drive, and let iTunes import the tracks for free (make sure you get CD Track names before you import). Don't have CDs of songs you want? Check with your friends, maybe they can lend you CDs you can borrow and import into iTunes. Don't have any friends? With CDs that is. Go to your local library and see if you can check out CDs in their audio section. As for other methods, I'm sure others here will give you sage advice on doing that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules