Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Shipping a Used 24" iMac - Advice?

Shipping a Used 24" iMac - Advice?
nostodnayr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2009, 10:58 PM

I just sold my 24" iMac and need to ship it. I have the original packaging, so that's key protection, but what does one do after that? Try to make some kind of cardboard wrapper out of old cardboard boxes? Wrap it in some kind of shipping paper? Obviously I don't have the original huge cardboard box it came wrapped in. ):

Has anyone ever done this before, and have some advice? The box is huge: 27" x 9" x 23".

(Also: no idea where to post this, but perhaps here is best.) TIA.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 2, 2009, 12:43 PM

The original box is enough. The outer wrap Apple puts it in is just to protect the pretty printing on the box from getting scuffed.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2009, 01:20 PM

If you ship via FedEx/UPS, I believe they require an outer box and therefore will package it for you for a fee of course.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

richwig83
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2009, 02:31 PM

Get some old cardboard boxes and wrap the macBox in that!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

nostodnayr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone!

The problem has been solved! I talked to FedEx, who told me they would have to do a custom box since all of theirs were too small for it. That custom was was ONLY 50$. I decided against that.

The alternative: ship it naked. And that's what I did. FedEx took it, no problem, taped it up well, insured it and shipped it.

So, all in all less painful than I feared, because I, too, thought they would require some kind of outer wrap for it, but not at all!

Thanks again. (:

Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2009, 11:53 PM

Yeah, FedEx/UPS take them no problem, it's just a bit scarier because it's very very obivious that it's a valuable item in there. No problems so far though, and I've shipped an eMac, multiple MacBooks, an iMac, and 2 Cinema Displays in their pretty boxes.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 5, 2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
...it's just a bit scarier because it's very very obivious that it's a valuable item in there.
That's why some shipping companies recommend wrapping it in brown shipping paper. It's great for when the original manufacturer's box is good enough to ship in. Brown shipping paper isn't that expensive and you should be able to find them at Office Depot, Staples, etc.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 01:16 AM

You can go to a store like Best Buy or Fry's - or your supermarket, and ask for empty cardboard boxes.

Then you can customize it to the size of your iMac. Put some bubble plastic or that foam popcorn in between (or just some crumpled newspaper) and paint a big "fragile" on the box.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 01:18 AM

Speaking of shipping: how do you accept payment for your used iMac?

Do not ship the iMac before the check has cleared. If you sold it on craigslist, be careful about the payment. Check craigslist's advice on receiving payment and its alerts on crooks.

I don't want to scare you, but better safe than sorry. You wouldn't be the first one who sent his computer, but the check he got bounced.

Good luck.

PS: just saw this was an old thread. Hope everything went well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules