Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Stuffit Expander won't open

Stuffit Expander won't open
jhersco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 05:19 PM

After working just fine for some time now, Stuffit Expander v9.0.1 won't open. I have tried the following solutions, none of which have fixed the problem:

1. Uninstalled/reinstalled Stuffit Expander including Frameworks and Prefs. Also, tried Stuffit Expander v9.0.
2. Tested with a new user. Same problem, meaning no conflict with my user preferences.
3. Rebuilt the Directory with DiskWarrior.
4. Reinstalled Mac OS X v10.3.7 (Archive and Install.)
5. Booted from an external drive which contained Mac OS X v10.3.6, and tried to open a different copy of Stuffit Expander.

I don't know what else to try. Any help will be appreciated.

jhersco  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 05:52 PM

Just found out that Stuffit was trying to access the Allume web site to see if an update was avaialable. Server must be down. Solution: Wait a long time until app finally opens. Change preferences by unchecking the update option.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 06:03 PM

I really dislike the application, and now even more
I even didn't install it with the OS. Almost all Mac applications are now "zip"ed or "dmg"ed.

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2005, 10:18 PM

I am really beginning to dislike Allume. I wish someone else would provide decompression or that there was a good open source program to do this. Waited 5 minutes while the little bastard tried to phone home.
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

squilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2005, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by jhersco:
Just found out that Stuffit was trying to access the Allume web site to see if an update was avaialable. Server must be down. Solution: Wait a long time until app finally opens. Change preferences by unchecking the update option.
I had the same problem. The solution works perfectly-- thanks for the tip.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 01:17 AM

Jeez, what's wrong with checking for a new version in a separate thread?!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Asynchronous networking is sort of difficult to program.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Asynchronous networking is sort of difficult to program.
Allume is a large company. And what's wrong with just spinning off the simple networking needed to check for a version update into a separate thread? Is CFSocket not thread-safe or something?

It's better than blocking the main thread for such a peripheral function, anyway.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 06:12 AM

I had the same. Tjeez, this, indeed, really sucks.
And, indeed, specially for a big company.
Just give me zip'ed or dmg'ed.

Thanks for the tip though!
( Last edited by Appleman; Jan 9, 2005 at 12:41 PM. )

mcsjgs
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2005, 09:04 AM

Nothing, but the best-behaved programs let you set it up on an automatic or manual method in an intuitive manner.

Unless you notice the slider bar in Allume's preferences setup, you miss the last preference which is set default to auto-check for updates at some time not immediately apparent to the user. Nothing wrong with it, just executed somewhat user-unfriendly to my way of thinking.

Edited: As an example of how a Mac program should work, I refer you to your own, very excellent Pacifist. That's art. Stuffit expander is kludge as far as the interface goes. Check for updates should be prominent and easily configurable. All this has nothing to do with how it does it, but I had to vent.
( Last edited by mcsjgs; Jan 9, 2005 at 12:24 PM. )
Suicide Bombers: That never-say-die spirit. No, that's not right.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
As an example of how a Mac program should work, I refer you to your own, very excellent Pacifist. That's art.
Hey, thanks.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 06:19 PM

Oh gee! What a s***ty piece of software. Glad I found this thread, I thought Expander was going to sit there bouncing in the dock forever.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 11:33 PM

yeah, I stumbled upon this while using tcpdump to monitor the network.

it tries to locate the server cgi.aladynsys.com, aparently down.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2005, 11:55 PM

I suppose that if this happened, you could pull the Ethernet cable out of the machine. That should make the request fail right away instead of timing out so you wouldn't have to wait forever to get into the app and change the preferences.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 01:24 AM

I suppose that if this happened, you could pull the Ethernet cable out of the machine. That should make the request fail right away instead of timing out so you wouldn't have to wait forever to get into the app and change the preferences.
I suppose that if this happened, you could pull the power cable out of the machine.
That would make the request fall right away instead of timing out so you wouldn't have to wait forever

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 06:08 AM

A solution per Bill Fox at MacsOnly: http://www.macsonly.com/

"On Saturday our copy of StuffIt Expander v9.0.1 began hanging when we downloaded something that needed to be decoded. It would take seemingly forever to open if it did at all. The problem is that it is hanging on launch due to a failed check over the internet for a new version. Perhaps something is wrong with Allume Systems' server. The solution is to disable your internet connection, launch StuffIt Expander and in its last preference pane uncheck "Allow Version Checking."
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by mcsjgs:
I am really beginning to dislike Allume. I wish someone else would provide decompression or that there was a good open source program to do this.
Stone Software's PackUpAndGo offers decompression. I don't use it myself, so I can't comment on the quality, but Stone generally has a good reputation.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by jhersco:
More simply, launch Terminal.app and type:

defaults write com.stuffit.Expander allowVersionChecking -bool false
This way you don't have to wait forever to open your StuffItExpander preference.

And when the problem with the server is fixed, then:

defaults write com.stuffit.Expander allowVersionChecking -bool true
( Last edited by yskar; Jan 10, 2005 at 06:35 AM. )

doublep
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 07:09 AM

Thanks all! I had the same problem and the same solution worked. I disabled my internet connections, and the app launched. I then disabled Version Checking in the app preferences and all is now fine.

crooner
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 08:28 AM

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 01:12 PM

Stuffit sucks bigtime. I hate to use it anymore. I'd like to give the company a tight kick in the axx.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Forum Links
Forum Rules