Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > WWDC 2005 stream doesn't play

WWDC 2005 stream doesn't play
JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 05:10 PM

Is it just me ? I have troubles playing this stream. Firewall is not on and all ports supposed to be open. Quicktime doesn't start with the playback...and tries to negotiate forever...

Any guess??

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 05:31 PM

Works great for me.
-- Jason

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2005, 05:33 PM

Close your quicktime window and click the link on the apple website again.

Should work after a couple of tries.

Also make sure your quicktime settings are setup correctly.

johnt519
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2005, 11:05 PM

I had a problem viewing it last night also. Quicktime Player would crash about 13 seconds into the stream. Found a thread on Apple's discussion boards with a fix. In the Quicktime system preferences, under the Streaming tab, change the speed from "automatic" to, well, anything but Automatic. For me, even "Intranet/Lan" worked for me, with a nice wide screen stream.

JohnCoffee  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2005, 01:01 AM

thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately - the stream doesn't even start playing for me. time remains at 00:00:00 and nothing else happens - (the blue dots move across the small QT Window from left to right like "Night Riders" LED on his car....)

any further suggestions?

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 03:17 AM

Try to change from Automatic to anything else, and choose HTTP transport.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by JohnCoffee
thanks for your replies.
Unfortunately - the stream doesn't even start playing for me. time remains at 00:00:00 and nothing else happens - (the blue dots move across the small QT Window from left to right like "Night Riders" LED on his car....)

any further suggestions?
What computer do you have? It's H.264. My Dual 533 couldn't get the full framerate. I couldn't get it to play at all on my 500MHz iBook--same problem as you. I tried all of the different transport settings. One thing to note though is that the G4 firewall would register incoming packets (it's the DMZ at the router) when I was attempting to play from the iBook, so a NAT router may be an issue here.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 05:28 AM

The "Automatic" setting does not work with some content, its an known bug.

nexus5.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius
What computer do you have? It's H.264. My Dual 533 couldn't get the full framerate. I couldn't get it to play at all on my 500MHz iBook--same problem as you. I tried all of the different transport settings. One thing to note though is that the G4 firewall would register incoming packets (it's the DMZ at the router) when I was attempting to play from the iBook, so a NAT router may be an issue here.
I got the stream to play on my iBook 500 but my default 512Kbps rate resulted in jerky playback (unwatchable).

I changed this to the 256Kbps setting and it played smoothly enough. maybe 18-20fps.

GreyArea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2005, 08:03 AM

I can watch the stream ok (PB G4 1.33 with 768MB) but I find that if I view it double-size, it becomes rather jerky. Play it normal size and it's fine. QT7 has, so far, been a bit of a disappointment here.

Jim
Jim
I'm Old Peculiar and so is my beer.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:58 AM

Really? My 1 Ghz Titanium played it back fullscreen on my TV with no problems, looked really good actually.
-- Jason

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by GreyArea
I can watch the stream ok (PB G4 1.33 with 768MB) but I find that if I view it double-size, it becomes rather jerky. Play it normal size and it's fine. QT7 has, so far, been a bit of a disappointment here.

Jim
I was viewing at normal size. QT7 on older G3s just seems to be slow.

GreyArea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jasong
Really? My 1 Ghz Titanium played it back fullscreen on my TV with no problems, looked really good actually.
Hmmm. I wonder if this due to my having the DiVX component installed. Can't see why it would be (it's not a DiVX stream after all) but I'll remove it and try again.
Jim
I'm Old Peculiar and so is my beer.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 11:02 AM

I removed the DiVX component when I started getting two help menus. I can't say I have noticed anything broken after I removed it.
-- Jason

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jun 8, 2005, 11:16 AM

I had trouble playing the keynote on my G4 Sawtooth (upgraded to 1 GHz) on the same evening of the keynote. I was running QT 7.0.0

The next day, after having upgraded QT 7.0.1 on my PB 1.33 GHz, the keynote played amazing well at full screen.

The keynote now works on the Sawtooth after upgrading QT. Also it is 2 days after the keynote so the servers are probably not overloaded anymore
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 12:32 PM

MacFixIt has a suggestion that worked for me (couldn't get any playback at all before hand) - go to System Preferences>Quicktime>Advanced and select custom from the Transport pop-up. Change the settings to HTTP and Port ID: 80.

JohnCoffee  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2005, 01:10 AM

Thanks for all suggestions.
Apparantly, my setup was the problem: I have a Zyxel wireless ADSL modem where I connected Airport express via Ethernet, since I don't need Zyxels wireless capability usually. (I want to listen music via iTunes on my stereo).
What I tried is: use Zyxels wireless function directly without Airport Express - bang, and there it played instantly. Why Airport express blocked the stream somehow is unknown... I checked all settings, even removed firewall settings on OS X to no avail.
But with Zyxels wireless directly it worked instantly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules