Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Keynote dissapointing?

Keynote dissapointing?
Doerak-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2001, 07:09 PM

I was aware that 99% of the rumors were bull, but I really got the idea this macworld was gonna be BIG. Therefore, I found the keynote quite dissapointing... No superimac's, slight updates on the g4 (nothing unexpected, minor uodates on the case, all well-known technology), no surprises like pda's/x86 port. It was good news to hear about 10.1 update and the apps that are coming, but that wasn't unexpected either. Apple needs those apps to survive. iDVD etc are cool, but not thrilling to me. After the keynote I really had an 'unfinished' feeling. Like Steve still had to announce the big new thing. But it never came...
Anybody shared this feeling?

mudmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 07:16 PM

I wasn't disappointed from the aspect of rumors, but, as a shareholder, I am disappointed. Apple, sadly, is not a company that is growing its market share in any substantial amount. The PC market is (along with much of the other consumer goods) in the crapper right now. Apple, because it sells to an installed base, really thrives off of momentum. The bi-annual MacWorld's provide that momentum. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any momentum going into Q3, a traditionally bad quarter. I don't imagine they'll turn a profit in the next quarter.

On a personal note, I would have loved to have gotten 10.1, and on an economic note, I would have loved that they introed "must-get" computers. Yawn, I don't want any of the new macs. If someone offered me a dual-800, I'd sure as hell take it, but, I'm not plunking my money on it. Give me a new architecture, not just a faster (now bottlenecked) CPU.
Meh

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2001, 07:18 PM

Agreed. I wasn't looking for miracles, but this keynote was a huge letdown. Let's see:
  • New iMacs. The patterns died, old colors were revived (including Snow, which I never liked), and the low-end one is more expensive. Whoopee. You'd think they could at least put a G4 chip in them by now. But did anyone here actually believe the flat-panel rumors?
  • Cube: What Cube?
  • PMG4 - Nothing new. Except they're more expensive than before, putting an even bigger price gulf between the low end and high end. And without the Cube, they're not even paying lip service to the midrange users. Come on, Apple; I figure something must be holding up the DDR RAM and/or other good stuff, but let's at least hear an explanation.
  • OSX 10.1 - Well, better late than never, I suppose. From all indications, this will be what 10.0 should have been. But a poll: who here would have waited six months, skipped what we know as 10.0 completely (or declared it PB2), and named 10.1 as 10.1? ::raises hand::
  • iDVD - Cool stuff. For the tiny fraction of Mac users who have and/or can afford the SuperDrive. Apple shouldn't be pushing this so heavily until they can make it cheap enough to make it standard, and the fact that they were only signifies to me that they were desperate.
Was it the worst keynote they've ever done? Not by a long shot. But it may be the most disappointing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 07:28 PM

I was very disappointed in the keynote until I thought about it for a while. The G4s-Case is ugly, no second 5.25" bay, no DVD only drive(only combo which commands a premium price). However, the good news is that the 733 G4 is now entry level so that's a plus. Also, I configured an 867 for $1850 which isn't too too bad(although I find it atrocious that the Mid and High Ranger iMac have more ram than some of the G4s!). iMacs-Didn't really care. I knew LCD probably wouldn't happen but I expected some type of new enclosure to the existing one. Mild disappointment. Although, I do like that they brought Snow back. I always thought it was a highly underrated color. It goes nicely with the new iBook. OS 10.1- Major disappointment. Performance seemed great but come on September?!? I thought maybe mid August at the latest but at this rate it looks like we'll have 10.1 closer to October 1 than September 1 Also, I was kind of expecting a new version of iTunes but that didn't happen either nor did OS 9.2. Oh well if 10.1 comes out on time and does as promised(that is make my 350 Sawtooth G4 with 512mb of ram feel like that's actually what's inside it) I'll be happy. I'm trying to avoid OS 9 but it's just SOOO much faster still. Atleast some new third party apps are out(Dave and Toast beta). However, does anyone know if 10.1 will have integrated browsing and sharing on Windows networks? It'd be nice to have an easy way to share my Mp3s with my friends on the lan at college. Anyhow, I guess I'm disappointed but if 10.1 delivers speed and features, I guess I can wait.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: dfbennett ]
Regards,
Dave

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 07:32 PM

mudmonkey, I feel your pain. I bought at $24. It is now down to $20.79. I don't know whether I should sell or hold onto it with a glimmer of hope that maybe Apple will do something to surprise us in the future. Hope springs eternal.

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 07:37 PM

OK, well, in all seriousness, I think that the new Apple products are excellent.
  • A dual-800 MHz G4 w/80 Gb HD is the best computer ever to come out of Apple.
  • Mac OS X 10.1 looks like Mac OS X has finally become what it always should've been - smooth, attractive, intuitive.
  • The iMac speed bump to 700 MHz is great! The 2 top end iMacs now have 256 Mb of RAM. I'd certainly buy one if I had the cash.
  • iDVD 2 - wonderful! They've improved upon an already acceptable application. Taking the mac to the forefront of DVD authoring (at a consumer leve, at least).

So there - I think that it was a great keynote - and you know why?

Because I didn't listen to any of the rumors.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Richyfp ]
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 08:03 PM

I wasn't incredibly disappointed. The biggest disappointment for me was the fact that 10.1 isn't available for download. I have really been eager for it.

I think iDVD2 is pretty neat looking. I agree that it doesn't reach as many people as it should. If it's worth believing, Jobs said a while ago he expected to have a superdrive in an iMac. here's hoping (at lower cost)

"New" iMacs... eh, I'm a Pro User, not worried about it.

Anyway..
-Aaron
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Richyfp:
<STRONG>OK, well, in all seriousness, I think that the new Apple products are excellent.
The 2 top end iMacs now have 256 Mb of RAM.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Richyfp ]</STRONG>
I find it funny that the middle g4 only has 128mb of ram, but the second highest imac has 256..

Didn't anyone else get the feeling that these iMacs are just very temporary? Steve barely even mentioned them... Whens the next apple event?

As for 10.1. Wow, i'm really looking forward to using that.

Ben

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 08:11 PM

I'm not really disapointed in te keynote, but I'm not thrilled either. I think the new G4s are a nice step up and the iMacs have a good boost. However, I agree that the iMac is getting old in its looks. Maybe a G4 in the high end, or a 17" screen for a year would get some life into it. Seeing 10.1 is nice (I would have perfered it in my hands). My biggest let down is there was nothing to play with, no iTunes update or anything else to download or check out. I think that would have helped alot. If the Mac community eould have gotten something to play with for a few weeks, an update, a new iApp. I was hoping for an iPhoto or iPictures low end digital photo-retouching app. All in all I don't think it will hurt Apple. Sales always go flat before an Expo, sure their not going to get any big sales but maybe enough to atleast turn a profit. I think the big buyers will be buying the new G4s. I have a 450Mhz G4 at work and my boss is talking about upgrading right now before the end of fiscal year to use up the budget.

I do hope Apple releases a 10.0.5 with something of interest between now and 10.1. I think it would calm everyone down alittle. Atleast its not like some of the past Expos when Apple was bleeding red and trying to positive. It isn't great, but there was no BAD news.
"This is fun, right?"

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 08:14 PM

Here's another factor to bear in mind...

While it may be somewhat disappointing that there wasn't any ground-breaking news, we have to remember the role that X plays in all of this. The majority of Apple's development resources are directed at improving X and moving along the migration to it. I think that based on the improvement that 10.1 represents, it will be well worth it.

I'd be willing to bet that by MacWorld January, when X is well in place, we should see some awesome unveilings from Apple.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 08:26 PM

I watched it on TechTV and I felt bad cause they kept saying "nothing new here", "rated Jobs a D-", "stock holders should be disappointed", "the rest of the year will suck with no new products", "bad move", etc. So I was upset about that more than I was at the lack of new products. However, I really do not like the new G4 enclosures. When the leaked pics came out everyone was hoping they were fakes because they were kinda ugly, they are. I was going to buy one of the new G4s but after seeing the new design and not liking it, I will hold off for the next revision or the G5.

Lost sleep to be disappointed
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

<Posthumous>
Jul 18, 2001, 08:27 PM

<STRONG>OK, well, in all seriousness, I think that the new Apple products are excellent.....

So there - I think that it was a great keynote - and you know why?

Because I didn't listen to any of the rumors.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Richyfp ]</STRONG>
I also think the keynote was great! As a long time linux/bsd and dos/windows user I have to say that you guys are truly spoiled! Please don't take this the wrong way since I don't mean to be a troll. Many of us who have never considered a mac before are now seriously considering the mac as a platform for our computing needs. I don't think you realize what an achievement OSX is. A unix your grandma could use. Believe me, if you've ever used unix you'd know what I mean.

OSX is exactly what many of us *nix folks have been looking for. A beautiful, intuitive unix desktop with the terminal at the ready. I truly love the way OSX looks, works, and feels. Windows doesn't even come close.

Using many of the desktop/window managers under xfree86 is great, but the lack of a consistant UI is a turn off to many. Most *nix users don't care if all their apps have different widgets. Look and feel is not as important to some as it is to others. When using gnome or kde, if you want a similar look and feel you need to download a gtk theme and a qt theme that are similar enough to fit the bill.

All in all, I am and always have been very impressed with apple and it's userbase. I am seriously considering buying a mac now because of the underlying unix architecture coupled with this wonderful GUI. Many of you in the mac community may be disappointed, but those of us on the outside looking in are very very thrilled indeed.

So I say, so what if there are no new imacs or pda's. OSX is already more functional and easier to use than any platform I currently use. The new G4's kick ass and I can't wait until my next paycheck.

Cheers.

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 08:44 PM

Good man, Posthumous!!!

Welcome to the platform - it's people like you that the Macintosh needs to survive!

It's funny, though - Mac OS X seems to have attracted attention from the UNIX crowd, but I'm suddenly attracted to UNIX because of Mac OS X and find myself installing Linux!

Anyway - I completely agree with Posthumous.
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

<Jacob S>
Jul 18, 2001, 08:51 PM

I was disappointed. It seemed like Apple was just creating new hype for practically the exact same products they were already selling.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by spectre:
<STRONG>Didn't anyone else get the feeling that these iMacs are just very temporary? Steve barely even mentioned them... </STRONG>
Steve's a pretty style-conscious guy, and there's nothing more embarassing than passe fashion. The iMac is becoming the equivalent of that white "Miami Vice" sport jacket/pastel shirt combo you wore to the junior high mixer; I'm sure it must have pained him to have to feign enthusiasm for a design that has clearly seen its day.

For the record, I thought the keynote was pretty much a dud. It was exciting to get so much commitment for OS X-native apps -- I never would have expected Quark to show up, let alone with news that they're ready to go beta -- but too much of it was "Won't it be cool in 9 or 12 or 18 months when we can use all this?". And really, until the iMacs come with SuperDrives, lay off the iDVD: you just leave about 90% of the installed base twiddling their thumbs.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

bil207
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 09:16 PM

This had to be the weakest MW in years. The whole keynote could have been sumed up in a two sentence press release. Some speed increases and price drops on the power Macs and the rest was see you in September.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2001, 09:42 PM

I was let down by the keynote. Apple said MacWorld NY would OS X's "comming out party" and to me the party fizzled. The new G4s are nice, the iMacs a huge let down. I would have liked 10.1 NOW but I'll live. But then again, its only Wednesday so maybe more announcements from third party vendrs are forthcomming.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

origin3
Jul 18, 2001, 09:55 PM

Software-speaking this was much better than I had expected. 10.1 seems promising, and what is more important, the whole OS X project seems to be in very good shape. I don't really care about delays, this OS is supposed to last a long time. It's just how software development, and especially OS work is. It was very reassuring too that 3rd party apps seems to be getting along.

It would have been cool with new iMacs, but OTOH, the world economy isn't in the best shape right now anyway. Maybe it's best to wait a little longer, until consumers actually starts buying again. If the economy pics up this fall, then an introduction in November could be a success.

My only real disappointment is that the G4 range is too "narrow". I would have liked to see
733@1499
867@1999
2x733@2399
1000@2599
2x867@3399.

(Or something.) I believe there are many gamers and prosumers that would like to have more than an iMac, but find the PowerMacs too expensive. Likewise, MP is just too cool, and now there isn't any equivalent of the relatively cheap dual 533.

Still have plenty of hope for the future though
main(){printf("Hello MacNN Forums!\n");}

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by mudmonkey:
<STRONG>I wasn't disappointed from the aspect of rumors, but, as a shareholder, I am disappointed. Apple, sadly, is not a company that is growing its market share in any substantial amount.</STRONG>
Amen, brother.

MacWorld is preaching to the choir, on the grandest scale. Apple does not need to throw a huge convention twice a year to get us Mac geeks to buy the latest hardware and OS. We do that already. They need to start converting more *businesses*, where the money is. When businesses adopt the Mac, the home user will follow because most folks buy what they have at work. And PeeCee IS department people do not go to MacWorld; they go to Comdex.

Why isn't Steve doing what's necessary to convert businesses and reinvent the Mac that way?

- Provide docking stations for PowerBooks (critical for mobile workers)
- Provide VPN solutions (important for business)
- Hype OS X as an engineering and business OS, not a cute OS that does iMovie and iDVD and iTunes. Start focusing on *WORK* apps, please!
- Provide Dell-like support packages; sending your critical business PowerBook in the mail to Austin for a week does NOT cut it.

This is the only way to create market share; creating cute enclosures and LCD iMacs aren't going to do much.

Again, many people love the Mac but buy that Compaq or Dell because that's what they have at work and want to take the work home and use it without issue.

I'm amazed that businesses aren't worried about Microsoft's problems; monopoly, dropping Java, XP registration, etc. Microsoft never innovates anything - where's their "MacWorld"? I can't believe business users don't think about this. Now is the time to put the foot in the door...

sderaj
Jul 18, 2001, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Doerak-:
<STRONG>I was aware that 99% of the rumors were bull, but I really got the idea this macworld was gonna be BIG. Therefore, I found the keynote quite dissapointing... No superimac's, slight updates on the g4 (nothing unexpected, minor uodates on the case, all well-known technology), no surprises like pda's/x86 port. It was good news to hear about 10.1 update and the apps that are coming, but that wasn't unexpected either. Apple needs those apps to survive. iDVD etc are cool, but not thrilling to me. After the keynote I really had an 'unfinished' feeling. Like Steve still had to announce the big new thing. But it never came...
Anybody shared this feeling?</STRONG>
What would have happened if you had not read one ounce of rumor? Things change a large deal in that aspect becaue even though you tell yourself you knew what was rumor'd was not coming, etc but what if you had not gotten any glance on "what is coming?"

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 18, 2001, 10:15 PM

I thought the keynote was pretty exciting.

MWNY has never been as good as MWSF. You guys are simply expecting too much from Apple.

Although I was very disappointed in the new iMac, I felt that next expo he is launching something big, very big for Apple's consumer base.

The G4s are excellent. SuperDrive now comes at a reasonable price, and is very fast.

In September Apple will be rolling out the big guns for Mac OS X. We'll already have a massive software library and very stable and fast experience, and Windows XP gets launched a month later! I'm pretty happy that iDVD and DVD playback and CD-Burning is coming to 10.1.

We need to be a little more patient (I'm anxiously anticipating September) and next year we'll have a h*ll of a time .

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 10:28 PM

Compared to the last few keynotes: disappointing. What was actually announced: pretty decent.

iMac: It was obvious that Steve was embarassed by this one. He wants to introduce LCD iMacs bad, but Fred won't let him: still a little too expensive. I'm guessing we'll get an intro in time for xmas.

PMG4: Come on, those babies are hot. Absent the DDR RAM and the faster bus, I don't think we could have asked for much more. The entry level machine is now 733 and the upper end is a dual 800. They have improved the line tremendously. It is now obvious what you are getting: there are three choices and they get faster as you pay more. Not like before where there was a 733 and a dual 533; that was very confusing. I have no doubt that a dual 800 will trounce a 1.8Ghz pentium at everything. OSX will really bring the DPs to light. As for the enclosures, well they were pretty nice before and they are still pretty nice. I like the refinement. I bet we'll see a major change come January.

OSX: Looks awesome! I think we can all wait a month and a half! And with the improvements that 10.1 will offer Apple will have satisfied everyone that the OS is ready for primetime. Then they can start working on a serious update (10.5) for MWSF (virtual desktops, multiple docks, services in carbon?)

iDVD: cool. I would have liked to have seen iPhoto as it would be much more widely used.

kman

muchfresh
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 10:43 PM

I imagine that the keynote was a lot like the keynotes at Compaq or Dell conventions. Modest performance bumps, maybe a cosmetic change and preaching about the future.
'Satisfy the urge and discover the need' Q-Tip

Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 10:50 PM

I believe there are many gamers and prosumers that would like to have more than an iMac, but find the PowerMacs too expensive.
The high-end iMac is $1500, and you can get a G4/733 with a VGA monitor for under $2000, so there's not that much of a gap.

Likewise, MP is just too cool, and now there isn't any equivalent of the relatively cheap dual 533.
You can get a BTO dual 800 for $2600 if you keep the rest of the specs at the minimum, although it would be nice to have something like a dual 667 for $2000.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 10:51 PM

Its a dissapoint the new iMacs, but Mac OS X looks very good.
Let's wait!

nagha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2001, 11:15 PM

greetings,

$999 is too much for the low end iMac. what happened to "next year's computer at today's prices?" which steve so proudly proclaimed back in may 1998?

$1499 for a top of the line iMac? that's utter insanity. no CDRW/DVD combo? what is going on here? why not just buy an iBook? the $1499 iMac should have CDRW/DVD and a G4 @ 600 mhz.

$1699 for a 733 mhz G4 ... this is the sweet spot because it's fast and it's cheap. For just a few hundred more, you can upgrade the processor to 867 mhz. Still no 1.7 ghz but it's a good computer.

No PDA? I could care less and I use a Visor/Palm everyday. What was disappointing was the lack of a Palm announcement.

na

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by sderaj:
<STRONG>What would have happened if you had not read one ounce of rumor? Things change a large deal in that aspect becaue even though you tell yourself you knew what was rumor'd was not coming, etc but what if you had not gotten any glance on "what is coming?"</STRONG>
I would've thought they could have at least squeezed a few more Mhz out of the G4, given Steve Jobs' avowed intention (a matter of fact, not rumor) to start seriously closing the clockspeed gap this year. And I would've thought they could release a substantive upgrade to an OS that first hit the streets four months ago. Silly me, eh?

Though disappointed, I'm not bitter ... I'm not in the market for a new G4 anyway, and 10.1 looks like it will be worth another month or so of waiting.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 11:25 PM

lol, just had a crazy idea:

This wasn't the real expo. What we all recieved over the Quicktime stream was just a beta version. If you order a new iMac or Powermac, you'll actually get something MUCH better than what the specs say at the site. Oh, this is the part where I'm supposed to say I have insider sources...yeah. Steve and I went our barhopping, and he spilled the beans, so to speak. Yeah, there was a bowl of beans on the bar and he knocked them over.

Seriously, I was rather disappointed with the Expo. I thought a completey new version of the iMac or the Powermac was guaranteed. But I am happy with what they announced. Steve was definitely ashamed of the iMacs. Seemed like he didn't even want to mention them, he past them so quickly.

I'll be getting one of the High-end G4s at work now as they sold their avid system and we'll be replacing it with a Powermac and Final Cut Pro 2. The saving points of the keynote were that the 733Mhz was the top end yesterday and today it's the low-end. This is a very good thing. I hope that trend continues for every Macworld Expo to come.

And of course, 10.1 was absolutely amazing. I was grinning ear to ear during his demonstration of the speed increases. And all of the small refinements they've made are fantastic.

Seeing all the developers talk for an hour was boring as hell, but I'm very glad they did it. It was great to see the commitment of the most important companies up there demoing actual working software on Mac OS X. Very happy to see Quark up there, as well. Though I personally detest Quark Xpress, it's what we use and teach at our college, and considering Quark updates their software about as often as the periods of time roll over, I was shocked to see them. Now, I just hope Quark does some fancy footwork quick so we can Run the current version of Quark in Classic mode. Currently, we require a USB dongle to use the software, and it cannot be detected thru classic. If it weren't for that small issue, I'd have every student running Mac OS X as the default OS after 10.1 comes out.

Now, how about an OS X version of Final Cut Pro to accompany 10.1?
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 11:44 PM

the techtv dude name is jim louderback, he really pissed me off today, i kept calling him jim louda$$!
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

murk
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2001, 11:51 PM

My only disappointment was that only the 'scale' effect was demonstrated and not the 'suck' effect. Come to think of it maybe it was.

We are, in part, all to blame for our own let down. No wonder Steve hates rumors. My MWNY resolution is not to get tied up in this whole rumor thing again. At least not until Paris.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: murk ]

Nitzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2001, 12:16 AM

Ok it wasn't mind blowing but it really was ok.

The iMac, why did they even bother.

The G4, hey pretty damn good. Not great like DDR would have been, but solid.

Mac OS X 10.1... wow this makes it all worthwhile!! Until you find it out it's not shipping for 2 months. (Hopefully developers at least get a seed now that its been shown in public)

There wasn't any "I gotta have it NOW" thing that an expo needs. The G4s were this &gt;&lt; close. 10.1 would have been it, if it were shipping.

Overall it was still good, just not insanely great.

Scroot
Jul 19, 2001, 12:32 AM

<STRONG>Good man, Posthumous!!!

It's funny, though - Mac OS X seems to have attracted attention from the UNIX crowd, but I'm suddenly attracted to UNIX because of Mac OS X and find myself installing Linux!

. </STRONG>
Hey - I know this is a little off topic, but how are you installing Linux?

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Scroot:

Hey - I know this is a little off topic, but how are you installing Linux?
Try checking out Yellow Dog Linux 2.0. It's designed to run on PPC hardware.

Here's a good link for more info: http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/yellowdog20/
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 02:08 AM

Question:

How come when Apple releases a system with 500 MHz G3, 64 MB RAM, 10 GB hard drive, 66 MHz bus, CD and 12.1" LCD for $1299, everybody hails it as great. But, Apple releases as system with the same 500 MHz G3, 128 MB RAM, 20 GB hard drive, 100 MHz bus, CDRW and 13.8" screen for $999, it's a rip-off?

Observations:

1) iMac enclosure is old (but a classic!).

2) If a 500 MHz iBook with CDRW and 20 GB hard rive is $1799, how is a 500 MHz iMac with CDRW and a 14" LCD going to be $999. Or $1299. Or even $1499? Get realistic, folks.

I bought a DVD iBook in May and love it. My in-laws bought the $999 iMac in Indigo today, and I think they'll love it (they're converting from Gateway - woohoo!).

Calm down folks. Having 10.1 on track is the most important thing right now.
Don

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 02:56 AM

See now when I posted that MW would have "nothing" people thought I was a bore. Now many people feel like we got nothing. Where as I'm rather pleased.

rudynorff
Jul 19, 2001, 03:09 AM

Something really went wrong!

I read it somewhere yesterday and I do believe too, that something big was to be introduced but it went all wrong.

I never saw Steve that nervous! See, Mac OS X 10.1 was great to see, but it was buggy (you could definitely see that). He used it as a "gap-filler". *speculation* Maybe he had LCD-iMacs backstage, waiting to be released, but he was waiting for a contract to be signed by an LCD-manufacturer so he could get the LCD's cheaper.

This was just a speculation, but to me it's obvious that something went wrong.
You could also see that, when he introduced all the less spectacular things at last (where he used to show them at first).
He would have shown the Mac OS X at last if he knew that he wouldn't have any spectacular products up his sleeves!

Think about it,
Rudy

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 03:46 AM

Although I'm disappointed too (and this isn't really an OS X discussion!) I think I can see good business reasons for what happened.

Put it this way - Jonathan Ive hasn't been sitting on his hands since finishing the new iBook and TiBook. They have definately developed new imdustrial designs for the iMac and probably a new product area too.

But now is not the time to be releasing new products, even a redisigned iMac. The PC market is totally depressed at the moment, and Apple cannot afford to release a new product to a mediocre reception - ie. another Cube. What they must do (and what I think they are doing) is preparing great new products to unleash on the world when the PC market starts to pick up again. This way they can surf the wave of new interest, and whip up a storm of enthusiasm like the original iMac.

I do think Apple's desktop line looks very very flat - except for the top of the line G4 (which is expensive). This can only be because the desktop market has had the bottom ripped out of it. I predict that Apple will be relying on coasting through the next couple of quarters, until the PC market starts to pick up.

Of course, if manufacturers don't release new products, the PC market never will pick up...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2001, 04:09 AM

I was quite disappointed. Not that I believed all the hype that came up in the days before, but somehow I think Apple has nothing real new to offer RIGHT NOW.
Sure OS X 10.1 is coming, but not until another 2 mo. Also the new G4 (except the low-end model) are not out yet.

What bugs me the most: How come that Apple can produce an iBook that is TOTALY competitive in terms of price and specs to PC models BUT loses so much ground with the iMacs. C'mon folks, let's face it, 1000 bucks are quite ridiculous and not at all competitive. Here in Europe, it gets even worse with the strong US $ that makes products so expensive that people really will think twice.

And think about it: R&D for the iMacs should be paid of for a long time - Apple should actually be able to lower prices and still earn money with it.

Somehow, this was a weird MWNY start, I hope something real exciting will still come up.

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 06:02 AM

I'm sure the intention was to roll out a new flatscreen iMac, but something went wrong, si it's plan B.

The iMac may be showing its age, but it is a design classic. If it was released yesterday for the first time, it would still be pretty revolutionary in the Wintel world - I mean they still don't have anything that isn't butt-ugly, let alone a cool, all-in-one, firewired, video-editing 'digital hub'...

Plus I'm sure the iMac 2 isn't far away....
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 06:15 AM

But I am gutted that you still can't have two 5 1/4 front access drives in the new G4's... surely I'm not the only one?
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

Forum Links
Forum Rules