Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Wrong Keymap

Wrong Keymap
rudynorff
Oct 17, 2004, 11:13 AM

Hello,

I started my mac today and soon discovered that my keymap was messed up (instead of the german I had a US keymap). I thought no prolem and went do
System Preferences ->International -> Input Menu. But when I click on Input Menu, the tab stays as if I was still clicking on it, but nothing happens. I think this points out to some damaged keymap (probably even the german one). Now I don't know what to do. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? BTW: my system is 10.3.5.

Thanks in advance!
rudy

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by rudynorff:
Hello,

I started my mac today and soon discovered that my keymap was messed up (instead of the german I had a US keymap). I thought no prolem and went do
System Preferences ->International -> Input Menu. But when I click on Input Menu, the tab stays as if I was still clicking on it, but nothing happens. I think this points out to some damaged keymap (probably even the german one). Now I don't know what to do. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? BTW: my system is 10.3.5.

Thanks in advance!
rudy
Try creating a new user with privileges equal to your normal account (z.B. Administrator vs. normal user), and try logging in as that user and try setting your keyboard. If that works, then chances are you have some corrupt preference files in your normal user account. If it is still broken, try repairing permissions and running Disk Utility's First Aid program and see if it works after that.

rudynorff  (op)
Oct 17, 2004, 12:29 PM

I already checked the disks and repaired permissions, but nothing. The new user was a good idea, but the same thing happens for the new user.

I think the best way would be to format my mac and do a clean install. If only I didn't have all those projects...

Thanks for your reply.
rudy

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 10:50 AM

I've had a number of incidents where a corrupted system file caused problems, but could be fixed by replacing it with a fresh copy from another Mac.

The hard part is figuring which file is broken. Try this: open the Console utility and see if it receives an error message when you attempt to change the keymap. Many times messages such as 'couldn't read/open' or 'couldn't write' point at a potential broken file.

J

Forum Links
Forum Rules