Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Is firewire fading because of Intel's roadmap?

Is firewire fading because of Intel's roadmap?
Captain Curt
Oct 17, 2005, 02:19 PM

Hello, I'm wondering why firewire is losing favor at Apple. It seems to have great capacity. If wirefire is being dropped, what would Intel's new replacemnt be? Thanks.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 03:43 PM

Maybe they are droping it for consumer puposes (like the iPod). But I doubt it will disapear with all the DV, DVCPro, HDV and DVCPro HD cameras out there.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2005, 08:44 PM

It will not be replaced by USB for anything where timing is critical - i.e. professional audio and video.

Firewire is optimized for SUSTAINED data rates, while USB works in "burst" mode - meaning that data is shoved over the connection in large bursts, with lags in between.

For media production, the implication is that while data rates over time might be high, the pause between "bursts" of data means that some data might not quite make it ON TIME. Which, in audio or video production, results in drop-outs, which destroys the production.

Also, even the nominal speed of 480 Mbit/sec of USB2 is *theoretically* higher than the 400 Mbit of Firewire 400, but that 480 Mbit is only the maximum during "bursts" - actual average is quite a bit lower.

With Firewire 800, the argument is moot for any professional media application.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
With Firewire 800, the argument is moot for any professional media application.
How so?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
How so?
Because no other protocol apart from gigabit ethernet comes close to the bandwidth?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 09:56 AM

Firewire is dropping out of favor at Apple because even though it is a better technology it is more expensive, and Apple's new hardware mantra is cheap-trumps-good.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Firewire is dropping out of favor at Apple because Apple caters to PC users as much if not more than Mac users and most PC users have USB.
You could have said this as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
You could have said this as well.
Most modern PC users -including almost all of those with PCs made since Macs started including USB 2.0- also have FireWire, so this argument is moot; the audience Apple is catering to has both.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

outsourced
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 07:36 PM

None of us know what Apple is doing with Firewire. It is an IEEE standard, after all.

Just take a deep breath, hold it...hold it...hold it...wait...ok. Hold it...hold...it...ok.

(Is he unconscious yet?)

Hold it! dammit!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Intel's replacement?!?!
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

CIA
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 12:23 PM

I seem to remember there were some Firewire 800 read/write issues with the original Powermac G5's, were these ever fixed in the later versions? I just ordered a Quad, and plan on putting 2 of my older WD 120SE PATA drives from my qucksilver into a external firewire 800 RAID box and want to make sure I am getting the best performance.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Oct 24, 2005, 12:43 PM

eSATA will replace FW for drives. For longer networks Fibre will take over as well. FW is pretty much dead as far as future development.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Moon Potato
Oct 30, 2005, 01:21 AM

There's no way apple would drop firewire 400. One of the biggest strengths of the OSX platform is it's extensive video capabilities. Firewire helps sell copies of Final Cut, and iMovie (which needs firewire) helps sell consumer macs.

Firewire 800 is another matter, though... pretty much the only devices that use it are a limited selection of expensive hard drive enclosures. Anyone who really needs more speed than a FW400 connection can muster (and let's face it... most people don't work with more than 3 or 4 streams of DV at once) are better off getting a SATA card with external ports and setting up an external SATA array. It's not much more expensive than a FW800 setup, and the speed increases (especially in a RAID) are spectacular.

FW800 vs. SATA results: http://www.barefeats.com/hard60.html

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Moon Potato
Anyone who really needs more speed than a FW400 connection can muster (and let's face it... most people don't work with more than 3 or 4 streams of DV at once) are better off getting a SATA card with external ports and setting up an external SATA array. It's not much more expensive than a FW800 setup, and the speed increases (especially in a RAID) are spectacular.
Not a viable mobile solution.

Moon Potato
Oct 30, 2005, 02:38 PM

On a powerbook, processor speed is going to be a bottleneck before data rate in pretty much anything other than capturing uncompressed video, which you'd be insane to do on a mobile in the first place... and if you really have no choice, there's always this:
http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAPCM..._search=search

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2005, 08:30 PM

Audio production greatly benefits from the additional bandwidth of FW 800, especially when recording to an external Firewire disk via a Firewire audio interface.

That S-ATA card looks interesting, and is certainly a good alternative to using a Firewire Cardbus card for an additional FW controller, but external S-ATA drives are AFAIK quite a bit more expensive currently, and the FW 800 hard drive daisy-chain is a much less complicated and more unbureaucratic solution that gives enough bandwidth for most use.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2005, 10:19 PM

I think that SATA is a wrong move for the next step in data/media storage transfers. I think Apple will use FiberOPT as its new standard. Data rates for FiberOPT exceded SATA, from what I understand. It is a multiuse port for almost any type of device and I expect it to replace USB Firewire A/B and SATA. I bet that the Intel Macs will use FiberOPT for their drives. I also believe that Apple may be the first to use the upcoming Solid State storage drives. I think FiberOPT is the next venture for Apple and all computers in the next few years.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 1, 2005, 08:49 AM

On a powerbook, processor speed is going to be a bottleneck before data rate in pretty much anything other than capturing uncompressed video, which you'd be insane to do on a mobile in the first place... and if you really have no choice, there's always this:
http://sewelldirect.com/SerialATAPCM..._search=search
Actually network television shows are sometimes edited on PowerBooks.

IIRC, NBC's Scrubs sitcom is edited entirely on a 17" PowerBook.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Moon Potato
Nov 2, 2005, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks
Actually network television shows are sometimes edited on PowerBooks.

IIRC, NBC's Scrubs sitcom is edited entirely on a 17" PowerBook.
Do you have any more information on what kind of setup they use? I'm curious why any large studio would accept the limitations of a powerbook for editing their shows.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 11:53 PM

Do you have any more information on what kind of setup they use? I'm curious why any large studio would accept the limitations of a powerbook for editing their shows.
Well you can edit on a PowerBook but most likely they use XrAID for their storage. But on a PowerBook alone idunno
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 04:19 PM

Lots of studios edit on portables. Editing isn't the hard part it's the capture/ingesting and processing the heavier effects. Edits can simply consist of simple cuts, keyframes etc. That's easy and there's no use in taking up a workstation for doing those tasks.
http://hmurchison.blogspot.com/ highly opinionated ramblings free of charge :)

Moon Potato
Nov 3, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by hmurchison2001
Lots of studios edit on portables. Editing isn't the hard part it's the capture/ingesting and processing the heavier effects. Edits can simply consist of simple cuts, keyframes etc. That's easy and there's no use in taking up a workstation for doing those tasks.
That's exactly the point I was making... while offline editing on a powerbook makes perfect sense, the process will have to be moved over to desktops once uncompressed footage and major rendering is brought into the picture. And for offline editing, there's no point in having anything faster than FW400. Powerbook users will almost never need anything faster than FW400, and when they do, there are technologies superior to FW800 available. FW400 has successfully carved out a place for itself in the computer/video world, but FW800 has yet to be used in anything aside from data storage (to the best of my knowledge), for which there are several competing protocols, some of which are both faster AND cheaper.

ll350
Dec 4, 2005, 09:40 PM

I think if you check out the wikipedia article on firewire you might find the answer to a lot of questions raised in this thread, like the roll Apple played in inventing the Firewire standard, as well as the fact the Firewire data transfer has a very low impact on the processor, since the technology bypasses it.

For my money, since apple wanted a chip supplier who would make enough high end chips for them to sell more computers, and intel wanted a customer for their innovative new technologies, I'd say that Apple will probably incorporate Wireless USB in their future computers, to occupy the roll that USB 2.0 currently has, and probably have SATA II+ ports to replace firewire 800 for external data storage.

redeye78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 10:55 PM

You are all saying this because the new iPods don't have firewire.
The only reason they don't is because the interface internally was too big.
Steve wanted them to be sleek and slim as possible. USB 2 is more than
adequate for the new iPods as far as speed is concerned. Firewire for video
will be around for a long time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2005, 04:54 PM

And for offline editing, there's no point in having anything faster than FW400.
Nor anything larger than 640 KB.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

oobi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 07:03 PM

That's exactly the point I was making... while offline editing on a powerbook makes perfect sense, the process will have to be moved over to desktops once uncompressed footage and major rendering is brought into the picture.
What if the rendering were being performed by X-Raid servers? Couldn't the original files be stored on networked storage/media servers, and rendered out there, with the laptop serving only as a dashboard?

JW

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2005, 08:49 AM

You can't boot from an external USB drive.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2005, 04:34 AM

It will not be replaced by USB for anything where timing is critical - i.e. professional audio and video.

Firewire is optimized for SUSTAINED data rates, while USB works in "burst" mode - meaning that data is shoved over the connection in large bursts, with lags in between.

For media production, the implication is that while data rates over time might be high, the pause between "bursts" of data means that some data might not quite make it ON TIME. Which, in audio or video production, results in drop-outs, which destroys the production.

Also, even the nominal speed of 480 Mbit/sec of USB2 is *theoretically* higher than the 400 Mbit of Firewire 400, but that 480 Mbit is only the maximum during "bursts" - actual average is quite a bit lower.
USB has 4 transfer modes (explanations shamelessly cribbed from the Wikipedia):
  • control transfers - typically used for short, simple commands to the device, and a status response, used e.g. by the bus control pipe number 0
  • isochronous transfers - at some guaranteed speed (often but not necessarily as fast as possible) but with possible data loss, e.g. realtime audio or video
  • interrupt transfers - devices that need guaranteed quick responses (bounded latency), e.g. pointing devices and keyboards
  • bulk transfers - large sporadic transfers using all remaining available bandwidth (but with no guarantees on bandwidth or latency), e.g. file transfers
Note that second one. I believe it's limited to 196Mbps for isochronous transfers, but if I recall correctly that's true of Firewire 400 too (or can it hit 393Mbps for isochronous transfers?). The USB site has a lot more info on high speed isochronous transfers if you're interested in becoming educated.

Originally Posted by Millennium
Most modern PC users -including almost all of those with PCs made since Macs started including USB 2.0- also have FireWire, so this argument is moot; the audience Apple is catering to has both.
I disagree. The largest computer OEMs in the world still don't include FW on a some of their machines and the older a machine is the less likely it has IEEE1394 even if it does have USB2.

I use external SATA (but not e.SATA) with my laptop. Works great.

This article claims they did, but it also says they're accessing Xserve RAIDs over 802.11b. That sounds absurd.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 04:55 PM

The only reason iPods went USB2 was due to the fact that many PCs don't have Firewire. It's impossible to sell a iPod and Firewire PCI card to a PC novice.

Customer: "You mean I have to open up my computer? Forget it!"

The Firewire iPod was around pre USB2... and we really didn't have an alternative.

Forum Links
Forum Rules